Analysis The Matt Taberner effect

Remove this Banner Ad

The fact he can take a contested grab is huge. But you’re right, he needs a bit much of that aggro or bully mentality. Rough up his opponent. He can do it, but seems like he holds himself back. Against West Coast, he failed to really bully Barrass and knock him around. He did a fair bit against GWS though.

It’s 100% mental. The fact that he was often the first dropped after a poor game from the team probably contributes to that ‘fear’. It was only in 2017 where he had to play 2 months at Peel before even getting a chance at AFL level. He went on to really exert his dominance in the WAFL finals that year. But now he’s slowly, albeit VERY slowly realizes he belongs in the league.

Tabs never have had this many chances in front of goals, that’s probably so overwhelming haha. Nah he just needs to practice and get a routine. Lots of great forwards had yips, let alone the standard forwards.

He broke Phil Davis’ nose in a marking contest.

This is the funniest thread in our history. We wanted to recruit Cloke at all costs when he was reaching\at his peak. Cloke rejected us and proved he had lost all his powers. The funny part is that Cloke was a shite kick at times. He had some horrendous misses, but his marking ability helped Collingwood win that flag. Then we offered our future to recruit him. We offered the biggest contract in history or close to, and he still said no - this NO saved us. I think we would be worse than Carlton had of that deal gone through.

So now, here we are the other side of a Cloke like player. He has come through our system, he is a beast and a marking machine and has proven this, when fit for two years. AND FANS WANT HIM GONE? Good idea, lets get one of the best contesting marking forwards in the game out of our club because he has goal shooting yips. Craziness!!!!

The best option is....keep Taberner at all costs. He is our best player at the moment IMO. He was a star in the opening 4 rounds last year (with Fyfe) - and we were winning - then he go injured and we started losing.
I am honestly not sure if this is one of those hipster joke things when people try to be cool by bagging a player out, maybe I am old and I see footy through different lenses to these young quarter back punks - that are dumb and full of cum.

IMO your missing the most important part and that's the fact that he makes a defense put time into him which frees up our elite KPF in Hogan and that's all we need from Tabs. Very few teams have two elite KPD that can stop Hogan and Tabs, then throw Lobb and McCarthy/Cox at them as well.

Hogan & Mccarthy will both benefit greatly with Tabs improving.Hogan & McCarthy have instinctive forward smarts of knowing when to lead and where to lead,just got to hope that the ball carriers lower their eyes.

This is the funniest thread in our history. We wanted to recruit Cloke at all costs when he was reaching\at his peak. Cloke rejected us and proved he had lost all his powers. The funny part is that Cloke was a shite kick at times. He had some horrendous misses, but his marking ability helped Collingwood win that flag. Then we offered our future to recruit him. We offered the biggest contract in history or close to, and he still said no - this NO saved us. I think we would be worse than Carlton had of that deal gone through.

So now, here we are the other side of a Cloke like player. He has come through our system, he is a beast and a marking machine and has proven this, when fit for two years. AND FANS WANT HIM GONE? Good idea, lets get one of the best contesting marking forwards in the game out of our club because he has goal shooting yips. Craziness!!!!

The best option is....keep Taberner at all costs. He is our best player at the moment IMO. He was a star in the opening 4 rounds last year (with Fyfe) - and we were winning - then he go injured and we started losing.
I am honestly not sure if this is one of those hipster joke things when people try to be cool by bagging a player out, maybe I am old and I see footy through different lenses to these young quarter back punks - that are dumb and full of cum.
It was hard during 2016-2018. People wanted him gone. For what? To make Kersten our number 1 forward. Look how he turned out? Too short for a tall, too arrogant to think he’s better then he is. Geelong had injuries and still didn’t play him. Suggested a lot.

Tabs always has a great work ethic. So many times he should’ve throw in towel but to his credit worked harder then probably anyone at the club. He’s the one that took it on himself to start pre season the Monday after the GF.
Ross loves challenging these players- Clancee Pearce, Ryan Crowley, best of all Michael Walters. He’s a great man manger. Do the hard work, earn your way in. Rookie list to number 1 KPF. That’s the hard yards.
He kicked that 5 goals way back in 2016. You knew that he had the potential. Needed the consistency.

Nice little piece by Mark Readings in The West today. He knows what Tabs went through and capable of now. Great read - https://thewest.com.au/sport/freman...-matt-taberner-stop-teasing-us-ng-b881179410z

I reckon Tabs is the kind of story that makes sport inspiring.

A rookie pick who has worked hard and persevered. He's now starting to make people believe in him - now he just needs to believe in himself.

I'd take a bloke that gets the best out himself over a bloke with talent but less application any day.

14 disposals. 9 kicks and 5 hand balls. 1 goal and 1 behind.

Struggled in the 1st half. Really stood up In the 2nd half though.

I remember he took a mark I think it was late in the 3rd quarter. He then kicked a beautiful pass to Hogan. Hogan had the set shot and hit the Bloody post!

That was a beautiful kick by tabs though.

14 disposals. 9 kicks and 5 hand balls. 1 goal and 1 behind.

Struggled in the 1st half. Really stood up In the 2nd half though.

I remember he took a mark I think it was late in the 3rd quarter. He then kicked a beautiful pass to Hogan. Hogan had the set shot and hit the Bloody post!

That was a beautiful kick by tabs though.

Hogan was missing to make Tabs feel better about last week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The delivery, especially in the first half, was garbage. Kicks missed by metres, kicks got intercepted. Hogan and Tabs really had to battle hard tonight.
Tabs still managed 7 marks. Still good enough. Didn’t stop. Especially last quarter. He set up two goals.

Tough tough day out for a forward of either teams.
6 marks. Great grab then to kick the leveller. Could’ve got a second. But he was ran ragged all game. Tried in ruck then had to play against Talia.
Had no help from McCarthy. Hogan really likes Tabs around, seems to mark a bit gets free. Shame he couldn’t convert his chances

Tough tough day out for a forward of either teams.
6 marks. Great grab then to kick the leveller. Could’ve got a second. But he was ran ragged all game. Tried in ruck then had to play against Talia.
Had no help from McCarthy. Hogan really likes Tabs around, seems to mark a bit gets free. Shame he couldn’t convert his chances
im curious how he fares against Richmond without Rance

Talia was hanging on and scragging our forwards, can’t imagine the umpires would adjudicate on that yesterday though.
Wasn’t going to happen with their directive yesterday. Anything and everything was let go.
Tabs pretty the only one consistently getting goals. Still gets involved. Can’t say the same with McCarthy. Truly awful

Remove this Banner Ad

Back