Analysis The Matt Taberner effect

Remove this Banner Ad

Not SuperTabs but still a serviceable game.

If you can have a look at the passage of play in the last quarter where Tabs flies for a mark with Talia's arm over his shoulder - dead set free kick in any era. If Nyhuis had done that to Eddy a free kick would have been awarded in a nanosecond.

Sadly Tabs isn't recognised as a contested making beast and is therefore not afforded protected species status. Hopefully that will come as we move up the ladder.

Not SuperTabs but still a serviceable game.

If you can have a look at the passage of play in the last quarter where Tabs flies for a mark with Talia's arm over his shoulder - dead set free kick in any era. If Nyhuis had done that to Eddy a free kick would have been awarded in a nanosecond.

Sadly Tabs isn't recognised as a contested making beast and is therefore not afforded protected species status. Hopefully that will come as we move up the ladder.
Josh Kennedy gets those every week. It’s a reputation thing. Betts clearly protected species

Yesterday all our forwards were s**t so I wouldn't be too worried. We do need to work on multiple people not going up for the same mark and spoiling each other though and space our players out.

Still not convinced, need to see him string a consistent number of games together not one every five or six.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
12 goals from 7 games this year. Not exactly the best, not the worst either. Matera has kicked 12 goals from 4 games prior to the crows game.

Maybe so. But freo have the fire power up front to hurt them. We need to be clean and efficient just like our big wins over North and GWS.
Exactly - teams are going to do that to us, we have to get better and learn how to counter that tactic. They will review the game from the weekend and see what went wrong, then work out how to be better. I think we are in a stable team / learning phase now.

Exactly - teams are going to do that to us, we have to get better and learn how to counter that tactic. They will review the game from the weekend and see what went wrong, then work out how to be better. I think we are in a stable team / learning phase now.
I got expectations now. I somehow expect freo to beat Richmond this week

I've always been a fan of Tabs in the ruck for short stints as it gets him around the ball and as a confidence player I don't mind him picking up a few cheap possessions. Seemed to me that he did a bit more ruck work than usual against Adelaide though and the more time he spends in there the more it takes away from his strengths. Makes it harder for him to really run his opponent into the ground and with his confidence growing I don't think he needs the time in there as badly now as say 2 seasons ago. We also look a target short when he goes in there (Hogan competes hard and rarely gets outmarked, but doesn't really look threatening in the air either as of yet) and at ground level our forward line looks a little hit & miss atm.

Would love to see him spend more time forward (varying between that high Centre Half-Forward and full forward). Him and Hoges could really blow some guys up. Whether that means Lobb has to be the 2nd ruck or we find another way I'm not to sure, but its a must for mine.

Don’t forget this I posted in another thread:

Players to score a goal in all 7 rounds of 2019
Jeremy Cameron
Jordan de Goey
Tom Hawkins
Alex Sexton
Jake Stringer
Matt Taberner
Michael Walters

One of 7 in the whole comp. Imagine if he sorted his yips - he’d be top 3 in the Coleman so far. (Just FYI - Cameron has kicked at least 3 in every game).

I've always been a fan of Tabs in the ruck for short stints as it gets him around the ball and as a confidence player I don't mind him picking up a few cheap possessions. Seemed to me that he did a bit more ruck work than usual against Adelaide though and the more time he spends in there the more it takes away from his strengths. Makes it harder for him to really run his opponent into the ground and with his confidence growing I don't think he needs the time in there as badly now as say 2 seasons ago. We also look a target short when he goes in there (Hogan competes hard and rarely gets outmarked, but doesn't really look threatening in the air either as of yet) and at ground level our forward line looks a little hit & miss atm.

Would love to see him spend more time forward (varying between that high Centre Half-Forward and full forward). Him and Hoges could really blow some guys up. Whether that means Lobb has to be the 2nd ruck or we find another way I'm not to sure, but its a must for mine.
It really annoys me when he’s second ruck tbh. He has a tank, can mark yet we’re using his fuel inside where he shouldn’t be. Darcy has to come in, Lobb then can take Tabs role. Time to play two ducks
Too many times last year where we tried to move the ball from half back and there was no target up field because Tabs is in the stoppages. Frustrating.
As much as he’s maligned, the forward line functions better with Tabs CHF full time and Hogan FF.

Tabs at Freo
2nd for goals (16th in the AFL - Only 5 goals behind 2nd place)
1st for marks (6th in the AFL)
1st for contested marks (4th in the AFL)
1st for marks inside 50 (2nd in the AFL)
1st (tied) for marks on the lead (10th in the AFL)
3rd for score involvements (62nd in the AFL) (7th in the AFL for Key Forwards)

And this is with him wasting time in the ruck, which he is absolutely useless at. He should never go in the ruck as far as I am concerned.

He is our best performing key forward by a country mile and people still talking about dropping him. He wasn't great on the weekend but he was better than Hogan and McCarthy.

Forward line and the ruck conundrum still needs sorting out.

Tabs at Freo
2nd for goals (16th in the AFL - Only 5 goals behind 2nd place)
1st for marks (6th in the AFL)
1st for contested marks (4th in the AFL)
1st for marks inside 50 (2nd in the AFL)
1st (tied) for marks on the lead (10th in the AFL)
3rd for score involvements (62nd in the AFL) (7th in the AFL for Key Forwards)

And this is with him wasting time in the ruck, which he is absolutely useless at. He should never go in the ruck as far as I am concerned.

He is our best performing key forward by a country mile and people still talking about dropping him. He wasn't great on the weekend but he was better than Hogan and McCarthy.

Forward line and the ruck conundrum still needs sorting out.
Its a weird situation to be in after the bye if both Sandi and Darcy are both fully fit after the bye.

Still think Sandi plays the Pav role and just play home games unless its finals. Darcy play the away games.

Round 1 vs North, freo won by 82 and Hogan didn't play. 2 weeks ago, Freo beat GWS without cam. Tabs played well in both games.

I've always been a fan of Tabs in the ruck for short stints as it gets him around the ball and as a confidence player I don't mind him picking up a few cheap possessions.

It also means that his direct opponent changes from #1 defender to the ruck for a short while. If a clearance goes against us, well, in general play after that he will outcompete the ruck due to his mobility and marking etc. But if we do get the clearance and he charges forward, that creates an opportunity, he'll end up clear of the ruckman presumably somewhere towards half forward (a strategic place to take a mark) and at some point his usual defender will have to make a decision to switch back on to him, if it's during play that's to our advantage that they're disorganised while rearranging the deck chairs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another game dominated by yet another half back, this time Bachar Houlli.
Tabs was alright, highest mark taker for Freo with 8. Did a few good things in close. But gee wasn’t a day at all for Freo’s forward. Have to do everything to get a mark out there atm.

Tabs- 18 disposals, 8 marks (outright 1st at the club with 64.), 1 goal (13 for the year), 3 contested marks (21 for the season, 4th in league).

Not sure what his streak is.. he kicked a goal in each game this season. 8? Only a handful of players have done that.

Tabs was alright, highest mark taker for Freo with 8. Did a few good things in close. But gee wasn’t a day at all for Freo’s forward. Have to do everything to get a mark out there atm.

Tabs- 18 disposals, 8 marks (outright 1st at the club with 64.), 1 goal (13 for the year), 3 contested marks (21 for the season, 4th in league).

Not sure what his streak is.. he kicked a goal in each game this season. 8? Only a handful of players have done that.
If he was closer to goal those marks are a chance to score, he's close to 200cm's play him from the goal square.
If they play him one on one he shouldn't get out marked, Matera at his feet. Double teamed and we have two 194cm
Players for the opposition to worry about, take your pick Hogan, Cox, McCarthy. Just don't have them competing for
the same long bomb or one card trick.

If he was closer to goal those marks are a chance to score, he's close to 200cm's play him from the goal square.
If they play him one on one he shouldn't get out marked, Matera at his feet. Double teamed and we have two 194cm
Players for the opposition to worry about, take your pick Hogan, Cox, McCarthy. Just don't have them competing for
the same long bomb or one card trick.
That's exactly it. Forwards are going up the ground to get their marks. Turn around and Richmond players all spare because most of the players are in their forward half.
Matera scored a goal from just that. Tabs crashed the pack, smalls around the area and crumbed. That happened not even 3 times. The set up was all wrong from the bounce.
The forward set up isn't effective. There's no spread, nor leading. We play the game plan of getting it long as soon as possible from half back. That plays right into the defenders' hands. McGovern, Houlli, types love it. We would have Buddy with J. Cameron and we d still do the same thing

I don't think he will be dropped.

I want him to play vs Essendon. For some strange reason, he somehow kicks bags of goals vs essendon

I don't think he will be dropped.

I want him to play vs Essendon. For some strange reason, he somehow kicks bags of goals vs essendon
Of the forwards, he would be the last to be dropped. His consistency outweighs Hogan and Cox tbh. Darcy has to come in and be first ruck with Lobb.
Tabs is absolutely wasted playing second ruck

gutted the goal streak ended. Still got 17 disposals and 1 behind, Far from the worst dockers player tonight.

gutted the goal streak ended. Still got 17 disposals and 1 behind, Far from the worst dockers player tonight.
Was flat and didn’t take the grabs that were there. Filthy being a Freo forward the last 3 weeks. Horrid.
Got the most marks of the game with 8. But gee that forward line.. is a joke

Living in Melbourne I don't get to see the boys play live very often, so took this chance to see what the forward line is doing without the ball. Hogan runs really good lead patterns, doubles back, runs circles to try and get more angles. Where as Tabs just sees the ball in the air and runs straight to where Hogan is. I actually really like Tabs but he is a really really dumb forward, the amount of times space was available only for him to bring his opponent in was infuriating.

Living in Melbourne I don't get to see the boys play live very often, so took this chance to see what the forward line is doing without the ball. Hogan runs really good lead patterns, doubles back, runs circles to try and get more angles. Where as Tabs just sees the ball in the air and runs straight to where Hogan is. I actually really like Tabs but he is a really really dumb forward, the amount of times space was available only for him to bring his opponent in was infuriating.
Just leave him at FF, instructed to always be close to goal, his kicking, ball skills are a liability if he doesn't clunk
it.
We can blame the players but our system is one dimensional, and makes them look silly.

It’s more the coaching then anything.
Hogan coming from Melbourne in contrast to Tabs. Huge difference in how to run, lead etc. Who Tabs have as assistant coach? Hale. That’s his style when he was playing.
Not only that but all our target forwards tend to gravitate together as a pack. Not one is out wide, nor in the goal square. So when the all
Comes in from the midfield, they bomb it to Tabs and Hogan with their defenders on them. It’s absolutely frustrating. Tabs turns around after he marks it, has barely any options.
No cohesion as an unit. Tabs/Hogan/Lobb has to be it for me. Cox and McCarthy tend to complicate things. Put more smalls around the forwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back