Analysis The Matt Taberner effect

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he was close to breaking out in 2018.
Before he got injured against the dogs he averaged 18.6 disposals, 7.1 marks (2.1 contested), 1.4 goals, 6.9 hitouts, 2.6 inside 50's, 5.2 score involvements, and 86 ranking points.

I think an underrated factor in his improvement this year is that Darcy and Lobb have been fit most of the year. This has meant he hasn't had to be a relief ruck, and he can focus purely on being a forward.
that dogs game as well he was on fire until he was hurt as well, kicked a goal + a lot of marks in the 1st term
I tells ya - it gives me the big time irrits when people use ‘crab’ as a term of endearment for Tabs. Does no one see the sad irony that for the longest time ‘Craberner’ was the name he was ‘blessed’ with early in his career when many thought he was utter sh*te.
I feel he should be given the utmost respect, and promoted to ‘Graberner’, and the ? be laid to rest.
i just like using to refer to our forward line as crustacean based forward line (courtesy of Freo dokers)

I think after Fyfe he is the most well-spoken and articulate player we have. He may not be the smartest of the smart in making consistently excellent decisions on the footy field, but he’s an extremely intelligent guy.

He’s currently on 29 goals. Dixon kicked 2 today, so he’s second on 31. Kennedy tied with him. Really keen for Tabs to get second in Coleman. Hawkins has it in the bag. But last two weeks, against Melbourne and Richmond, Tabs stank it. Had a huge chance to kick 3-4. Only ended up with 1.
Needs a bag against Bulldogs, which is going to be extremely difficult.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

fu**, Ross Lyon was really holding this bloke back!

Going great guns again after a misfire last week but overall a bloody amazing season.

Nah mate, that’s just not true. Tabs simply had too much self doubt.
Ross is on record as saying to Matt “ the coaching team have more confidence in your ability than you do “.

I have also read recently that Matt has made a very significant change to his weekly preparation. Something along the lines of having only one intense training session per week and a different lower load training schedule.

Ross Lyon was in his corner for sure.

Nah mate, that’s just not true. Tabs simply had too much self doubt.

Nah, it is true.

Lyon played him in the magoos for an entire *in year in 2017.

He was a s**t coach and absolutely held Taberner back.

Ross Lyon preferred Shane Kersten to Taberner for a whole year, when it obvious Kersten was a spud and we were severely lacking height and contested marking ability in the forward line. Why defend that? It was obvious to everyone that Lyon was wrong then, even more obvious now.

Last edited:
He was a sh*t coach and absolutely held Taberner back.
I have to disagree with you. Ross knew tabs is a confidence player and needed to have a run of good games to get his head right.

Tabs would come into the AFL and kick a bag, then the next week he'd drop a simple chest mark, then not get a touch for 2 games.

Ross made tabs be consistent in the 2nds, week after week. Once the giant crustacean led Peel to their second flag, he was ready to go.

Tabs knew exactly what was needed of him - Ross had made it clear - consistent run of good games in the 2s.

I suspect that's what JL just did to Jesse Hogan.

Seems to have worked for both of them.

I have to disagree with you. Ross knew tabs is a confidence player and needed to have a run of good games to get his head right.

Tabs would come into the AFL and kick a bag, then the next week he'd drop a simple chest mark, then not get a touch for 2 games.

What an absolute load of s**t.

None of our forwards were getting a touch in those games, because we were getting flogged by 100 points and the ball was never in our forward line.

Lyon simply preferred Kersten, Lyon thought he was smarter than everyone in the last 100 years and thought he could win games without key forwards.

I was half joking with comment. I have no idea the goings on inside the change rooms but all I know is he's a much, much better player this year than he's ever been. Long may it continue, with the uncertainty with Hoges and Dixin we desperately need him to continue his form for a few years more if possible.

Would love the big Kebab to snag 4 or 5 this week and get to second in the coleman

In reality all he is really missing from winning it those couple of games where the big dogs kicked 6 or 7 goals.

If he adds that string to his bow next season then geez he is looking good.

fu**, Ross Lyon was really holding this bloke back!

Going great guns again after a misfire last week but overall a bloody amazing season.
Are you finally going to admit you were wrong about him?

You were literally tagging me in threads, mocking me for saying Tabs will be a gun and our best forward.

Would love the big Kebab to snag 4 or 5 this week and get to second in the coleman

In reality all he is really missing from winning it those couple of games where the big dogs kicked 6 or 7 goals.

If he adds that string to his bow next season then geez he is looking good.

Yeah he needs to sort out his ball drop. Without the one or 2 each week that he stuffs up the ball drop and doesn't make the distance, he would have already had a few bags like that this season. He could have had 5 yesterday for example.

Yeah he needs to sort out his ball drop. Without the one or 2 each week that he stuffs up the ball drop and doesn't make the distance, he would have already had a few bags like that this season. He could have had 5 yesterday for example.
Yeah and the thing is that he does have it in him, continually see him get nervy when he is kicking from 50 but I've seen him bang them home from there before, there was a game early on where he kicked 5 in a half against Brissy, he slotted one home from 55 out.

Also seen him kick that distance at WAFL level, definitely has all the tools, just needs to put it all together one day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back