Analysis The Matt Taberner effect

Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Honestly Taberners goal kicking is not as big a problem as people make out. He's more accurate than most other key forwards. You just don't remember the misses from the opposition as much as you do your own players.
I agree, I think he is actually a pretty good kick, just looking forward to when he starts snagging some bags of goals

Jul 1, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fulham, 76ers, Cubs, Bills
Honestly Taberners goal kicking is not as big a problem as people make out. He's more accurate than most other key forwards. You just don't remember the misses from the opposition as much as you do your own players.

Agreed. Though I suspect he kicks a few more out on the full / no score than those others.

Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wimbledon AFC
When he is hot he is hot. When he is cold he is ******* terrible.
Really saps the energy out of the game when he has his off days so it is much more noticeable ..
Those days are over touch wood.

agreed, although it seems sometimes when he misses they are truly spectacular misses

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Oh we know. Try telling that to the Tabs himself. Backs himself, he gets goals. Other times when he’s looking to pass off or play on, he’s overthinking it.

Daddoo

Master Chef
Oct 31, 2015
Chicago
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers Milwaukee Brewers
Darling kicked one and Kennedy 0.
Tabs needs 3 to go outright second in Coleman. It is possible. Here’s hoping Dixon only kicks one

Gosh, what would people rather see at the end of the game, a win or Tabs second in the Coleman??

My head says go for the “W”, but my heart says Tabs all the way.

A win gives us some momentum going into next season but a worse draft pick. Tabs second in the Coleman would just be so awesome considering how much he’s been hurt and bagged on by fans at times.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

mike91

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
"Bagged on by fans at times" is putting it extremely generously!

I'm gonna be "thay guy" right now and toot my own horn a bit (a lot), because I'm extremely proud of Tabs.

No one has ever copped more s**t than Tabs. Biggest whipping boy in this boards history and didn't deserve any of it. 99.9% of posters talked absolute rubbish about him for years and blamed Tabs for everything gameday related.

He's CLEARLY been our best forward for at least 3 seasons now. Injuries cut short his last 2 seasons, where he was playing very well beforehand. Yet people still say ridiculous rubbish like "trade Tabs for a fourth round pick" or next level nuff stuff like "delist him". The nickname Craberner summed up how low people thought of him, yet everyone "likes" those comments. Let's not forget the immaturity of people tagging me in other threads, mocking me for believing Tabs will be a gun (still waiting for said person to admit he was wrong, but I'm sure he'll continue to ignore that)

I've clearly been Tabs biggest fan on here and defended him for years, seeing him become one of the best forwards of the comp this year has been an absolute delight.

We all make good and bad predictions (Schultz has proved me wrong this season).

Anyone wanna FINALLY admit they were wrong about Tabs?

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
"Bagged on by fans at times" is putting it extremely generously!

I'm gonna be "thay guy" right now and toot my own horn a bit (a lot), because I'm extremely proud of Tabs.

No one has ever copped more sh*t than Tabs. Biggest whipping boy in this boards history and didn't deserve any of it. 99.9% of posters talked absolute rubbish about him for years and blamed Tabs for everything gameday related.

He's CLEARLY been our best forward for at least 3 seasons now. Injuries cut short his last 2 seasons, where he was playing very well beforehand. Yet people still say ridiculous rubbish like "trade Tabs for a fourth round pick" or next level nuff stuff like "delist him". The nickname Craberner summed up how low people thought of him, yet everyone "likes" those comments. Let's not forget the immaturity of people tagging me in other threads, mocking me for believing Tabs will be a gun (still waiting for said person to admit he was wrong, but I'm sure he'll continue to ignore that)

I've clearly been Tabs biggest fan on here and defended him for years, seeing him become one of the best forwards of the comp this year has been an absolute delight.

We all make good and bad predictions (Schultz has proved me wrong this season).

Anyone wanna FINALLY admit they were wrong about Tabs?
I've been in agreeance with you for all these years man. Before I even came on here I was always Tab's biggest defender, he's been one of my favourite players on the team since 2017.

BStaff17

Premiership Player
Aug 1, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle

Yeah if there was one downside to Tabs goalkicking he doesn't seem to get on a roll during games i feel when he is playing well.

Maybe i am wrong but thats my observation.

As i reckon there are a few times this year especially he kicks a goal then gets another easy shot like 5 mins later and misses it hence why he still kicks his 1-3 a game but could have had 5. I think that is improvement needed going forward is when his hot with his marking inside 50 to cash in with multiple goals and turning 1 goal into 2 in quick succession and build scoreboard pressure

BigRang

All Australian
Mar 11, 2011
South of the Black Stump
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah if there was one downside to Tabs goalkicking he doesn't seem to get on a roll during games i feel when he is playing well.

Maybe i am wrong but thats my observation.

As i reckon there are a few times this year especially he kicks a goal then gets another easy shot like 5 mins later and misses it hence why he still kicks his 1-3 a game but could have had 5. I think that is improvement needed going forward is when his hot with his marking inside 50 to cash in with multiple goals and turning 1 goal into 2 in quick succession and build scoreboard pressure

I’ve never really been a knocker of Tabs etc. He can take a grab and kicks a few goals etc. But I do agree with you here, he always seems a kick away from a proper bag, normally I think that comes from the stooopid things he is prone to producing... Gee whiz he drives me bonkers at least once a game... But hey I’m not taking anything away from the bloke, has obviously worked extremely hard to get the best out of himself, and is reaping the rewards this season. Deserved to be in the AA squad, probably not the team due to not enough goals but in the squad due to contested marks etc.
Anyway I still believe he’s not the messiah, but he has the tools to be an important part in the premiership puzzle.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Back