The MCG celebrates its 162nd birthday today - Whats your favourite memories at the 'G?

Remove this Banner Ad

The Scotch College v Melbourne Grammar 150 anniversary game in 2001. We all got the day-off and absolutely obliterated them.

A weird one, the 1999 prelim. I was quite young, but just remember the sinking and knotted guts all game, that freaking tackle with the clock running out. I was there with my dad and some of his Carlton supporting mates. I reckon people need to see a really nasty, cruel finals loss to truly bond with the team they support. The next year I was there for the GF and had felt both the highs and the lows and was more or less bonded to Essendon forever.

Richmond beating Geelong by 10 goals in 1996.

Andrew Symonds hitting Paul Collingwood for six to bring up his 100.

My bucks day at an ODI in 2013 when Phil Hughes got a 100 on debut.

Teddy Whitten lap.

Richmond beating Collingwood by 15 goals this year.

My favourite memory would probably be my first game of AFL ever.

It was Richmond vs Melbourne in 2011, i'd begged to go as i'd never seen Melbourne live before and some people in my family go for Richmond. Was a good day and enjoyed the experience. Pretty decent crowd for my first ever game near 60,000 i think it was. and better yet we won too

Incidentally it is my Birthday today too, except the G has 140 odd years on me

Too many memories for Richmond fans.
I loved the '95 semi against Essendon.
Richo's and Jack's 10 goals.

This year had some great memories knocking off the Hawks and Pies.
The 90k for the final.
The 94K for the 2013 final.

Plenty of cricket memories also.

I was the infamous test (attended every day) where we lost on the last day Thommo edged to slips ,who dropped it and someone else caught it.
Gutted.

My first bay 13 experience was at a one day game between Australia (non Packer team) and England.
Ice getting thrown everywhere,big blue eskies full of beer in the outer while Trevor Laughlin and Gary Cozier were hitting sixes and fours all over the G.Smalll crowd that day but a big atmosphere.

Also remember Hafeys first game coaching the Pies against his old team,my very first Richmond attended match which drew a mammoth crowd.We got done.I still remember the red headed Tiger fan who brought in a steel bucket and shovel waving it around in front of the Pie fans.

Last edited:
2008 GF was the first I attended and the Hawks upset Geelong

Up yours, Hopkins!:p

Can we even call it the same ground? There's not an original piece in the place as far as I know - I was a fan of keeping that section with the huge wooden doors as part of the Ponsford stand. Pity nobody listened!

I was at the Hawthorn v Geelong game (round 17, 2009) that destroyed poor Kelli Underwood's voice with how exciting the last quarter was. Here's the last 5 mins

KB turning Stan the Man Magro inside out on GF day 1980

Sitting in Bay 13 with an esky full of ice cold beer at the Boxing day test watching the bikini clad girls walk by to the chorus of wolf whistles back in the days when things like this weren't considered sexist.

Was the first time since the 1980s that the crowd cracked the 100 000 barrier. I remember the crowd cheering for that. It is the only part of the day I chose to remember.

I was there too. My first GF and obviously my memory bank is filled with this day as well as a couple of others in 13 and 14. :D

I also remember the crowd going up for the 100k. Shame it wasn't much of a roar as half the stadium was in shirts and suits ffs.

The prelims are always louder and more involving. Love seeing my team on the big stage but the corporate BS that's pushed on that day is pretty sickening.

I was at this game when the mexican wave got a bit out of hand. Alec Stewart had to ask Shane Warne to come out of the dressing room and calm the crowd down haha

heres the video

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Getting a beer thrown at me by an essendon fan for calling Johnson ( the one with the flat face) a campaigner at a hawks v essendon game somewhere around 2004.

1954/55 cricket season - Frank Tyson takes 7/27 to dismiss Australia's ten second innings wickets, before lunch on the last day.

Betty Cuthbert winning gold at the 1956 Olympics.

1958 First Semi Final - North Melbourne beats Fitzroy by less than a goal. Beginnings of a generation of heartbreak. Nevertheless, it was a magnificent game of footy.

Seeing Neil Harvey make 150-odd in the 1958/59 Ashes series.

Seeing Rohan Kanhai make 252 for West Indies in a 1960/61 tour match, against Victoria.

Sitting in the old, green, concrete stand (it was rebuilt as The Ponsford Stand) underneath the old scoreboard at heaps of Sheffield Shield games, during the 1960s. About a dozen of us used to congregate with our scorebooks and score the game as it was played. Somewhat pathetic in retrospect. However, I'm still scoring cricket matches in the local league, so not a complete waste of time.

!970 Grand Final - Best game of footy I've seen.

1970/71 - Garry Sobers makes 254 for Rest of the World against Australia. Supplanted Kanhai's innings as the best I've ever seen.

2001 and 2002 Brisbane premiership wins. I only waited 47 years for my mob to win one. Didn't attend the 2003 GF - don't get me started on why.
Gee, you really are an old campaigner.

Only been there a few times. Best game I've seen was Hawthorn v North Melbourne in 2012. Most amazing thing about that was walking up and being able to get a seat about ten rows from the fence for about $20 for me and $2 for my son!

Was also at the 2010 Preliminary Final Bulldogs v Saints, and apart from that the only other time I've been there was the bushfire relief concert in 2009.

2015 Cricket World cup.
Booked tickets 12 months in advance,

I flew over from Perth during the second Innings of India vs Australia. (Saw Australias posted score).
India lost their first 2 wickets just before I lost reception in the air.

Landed, and my mate who was flying over later that night told me India had defeated us.. To which I told my missus(announced to the whole plane), who was clever enough to google the scores.

Saw the result and I gave the biggest F*CK YEAH - AUSTRALIA WON you'd ever hear, (Indian lads next to me, went from pure ecstasy to disappointment).

Stayed at the Pullman on the 17th floor overlooking the MCG.
Lobby was flooded with people from India (Practically never changed out my ODI WC shirt).

I have never heard anything louder than McCallum got out.
Best part was I was in long enough to catch round 1 this year "Carlton vs Richmond".

Did the tour too (At the same time Michael Clarke announced his retirement, literally saw him out there inspecting the pitch), love the see through toilet... I hope the toilets are like that in the new Perth stadium.

Pullman is terrible acoustically, but location was fantastic! (not MCG related).

As an interstate attendee that's my memory, and one I can never see triumphed.

I have been to 4 Grand Finals - 2002, 2003, 2004, 2007 - I don't think I've been to the G for a season game but I've been pretty lucky so far in life. Best memory is obviously winning the flag there and everything that went with that momentous occasion.

2010 Drawn Grand Final. (Backing the draw helped)

John Hopoate wearing his shorts back to front in the first Origin game at the ground.

...Melbourne..
It's not like I can choose my club. I was ten in 2000. Seen 1 Dees final live - the infamous Jeff White jaw game.

I love the G but the last ten years of the Dees has been brutal. Had some great moments but a lot of garbage too. My memories aren't grand finals, but the MCG is still a special place to me.

Whew, there have been lots:
Early 70's - seeing Royce Hart at his peak - I am a Swans supporter but he was incredible
1977 Centenary Test opening day - Australia all out for 138 but I think the crowd was about 76K
1981 Boxing day - as W.M. Lawry would say "The Great Dennis Lillee" bowling Viv Richards with the last ball - West Indies 4/10 - Possibly the loudest roar I have heard at the G
2000 March - Melbourne Storm beat St.George 70 to 10 - *bonus* Anthony Mundine was playing for them
2005 Swans GF win
2006 Commonwealth Games - Kerry McCann winning the Marathon after being pushed right up until the end - incredible atmosphere. Can't believe she's gone
2006 Boxing Day test - 2nd day - Symonds and Hayden 279 run partnerships against England in front of 75 thousand.
2012 Swans GF win
1971 ish to 2015 - a great thrill to go to this great stadium every single time!

We are so lucky to have this great venue. Yes I know it is not great for Soccer/League etc but on my first visit to the Olympic Stadium in Sydney a few weeks ago - League game - I was surprised how souless and barren that place is.

Grew up in the bush and didn't get a chance to go to the G much as a kid but I remember my dad taking me to Richmond game to watch Tony Free and my cousin Craig Smith play. Freezer was my hero as a kid as he made it from our little home town. Also a few years later as a saints supporter we were lucky enough to have Rob Harvey's cousin play at our club. He took my old man and I to a game. We were able to go into the rooms after the game to see Rob and my lasting memory is seeing Plugger and Nicky Winmar downing Melbourne cans sitting in a bath!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back