Remove this Banner Ad

TigerToughSkin

Draftee
Jul 5, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Arsena; Chicago Cubs

B: Matthew Scarlett(GEEL) Steven Silvagni(CARL) Dustin Fletcher(ESS)

HB: Bruce Doull(CARL) Ted Whitten Snr(FOOT) Francis Bourke(RICH)

C: Robbie Flower(MELB) Dane Swan(COLL) Kevin Bartlett(RICH)

HF: Matthew Richardson(RICH) Wayne Carey(NM/ADEL) Dick Reynolds(ESS)

F: John Coleman(ESS) Matthew Lloyd(ESS) Gary Ablett Snr(HAW/GEEL)

FOLL: Jim Stynes(MELB) Ronald Dahl Barassi(c)(MELB/CARL) Leigh Matthews(vc)(HAW)

INT: John Nicholls(CARL); Michael Tuck(HAW); David Neitz(MELB); Luke Hodge(HAW)

COACH: Norm Smith(MELB/SM)

ASSISTANT COACH: Kevin Sheedy(ESS/GWS)

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………

I’m surprised that no one has ever thought of doing this. The MCG is to many is hallowed turf, and is the home of football. So I’ve comprised a team who have pretty much made the MCG their own. I had stats and reasons for my selections but I lost my USB with my up-to-date version on it. So I can’t be stuffed making another one, so I’ll just let you pick it apart and roll over it. Cheers.

Ok. You Have KB in the Team. That's a start.

Bartlett played more games at the MCG than anyone else. He's 5th in Goal-kicking (the only one in the Top 20 under 6 ft). He won a Norm Smith there. He played in 5 winning GFs there.

I understand the argument that maybe Matthews and Reynolds are better OVERALL players than Bartlett (it's an argument for another time). However, if you are basing it on those 'who have pretty much made the MCG their own' Bartlett is first rover AND first HFF.

John Coleman played 10 games at the MCG. He may be the best full-forward of all time - but his MCG career is pretty well swamped by many, many others.

If we are picking players pre-ground rationalisation - the early 1990s - then it should be concentrated among Melbourne and Richmond players. The possible exception is Hawthorn in the 1980s given their dominance on the biggest stage. In the modern era we can obviously take players from a variety of teams since so many games are played at the MCG.

Guys like Coleman, Reynolds and Whitten don't belong on a list of best MCG players. There is a fair few other players on that list that didn't play very often on the MCG.

My team

B: Heath Shaw, Mick Martyn, Kevin Sheedy
HB: Adem Yze, Dustin Fletcher, Wayne Campbell
C: Matthew Knights, Ron Barassi, Francis Bourke
HF: Robert Flower, Matthew Richardson, David Neitz
F: Wayne Carey, Matthew Lloyd, Russell Robertson
R: Jim Stynes, Kevin Bartlett, Dane Swan
Int: Sam Mitchell, Brian Dixon, Scott Pendlebury

All played 110+ games at the MCG.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back