Moved Thread The McGovern Brothers to go to Fremantle?

Remove this Banner Ad

Was gonna say why they would go to that piece of s**t club fremantle. But with Fyfe, Hill, Neale and others they could be good in the future. Got some good youngsters coming up.

J Mcgovern is going nowhere. The Media have just taken the idea that J Mcgov wants to play with his brother, and the fact that Freo are looking at M Mcgov, and put them together and spun up a story of J Mcgov wanting to go to Freo too. Complete BS. How would the deal even be possible? And so what if he's pissed at how WC handled Pridda's retirement? Geez, takes more than that to want to leave a club, and that happened last week. A pretty freaking quick decision isn't it?

Last edited:
J Mcgovern is going nowhere. The Media have just taken the idea that J Mcgov wants to play with his brother, and the fact that Freo are looking at M Mcgov, and put them together and spun up a story of J Mcgov wanting to go to Freo too. Complete BS. How would the deal even be possible? And so what if he's pissed at how WC handled Pridda's retirement? Geez, takes more than that to want to leave a club, and that happened last week. A pretty freaking quick decision isn't it?
Firstly, go man city!

Right - so the whole Priddis excuse sounds like a complete load of rubbish to me, but there were rumours circulating anyway. The rumours are built on the following:

- Freo are throwing everything at Mitch to get him there, instead of WC.
- Pictures have surfaced (unverified) showing the McGovern boys wearing Freo gear as kids, and further rumours that they were both massive Freo fans prior to being drafting. Given their dad played for Freo, hardly a revelation.
- Brothers like to play together. It's not mind blowing that reporters are saying 1+1=2. If Mitch lands at Freo, I would almost expect that Jeremy would follow to play with him. In this respect you could also add that Freo are well ahead of WC in their rebuild. Clearly WC are entering a rebuilding phase as well. I'm not sure if they will give any credit to this, but it may be factor.

On a side note - when was the last time a club had two sets of brothers playing? I actually don't think it was that long ago? Did the Ebert's and Burgoyne's all congregate at Port at one stage? I think Sean may have left before Brad joined. I'm not going to google the answer, I enjoy the suspense of waiting for a response :p.

P.S. * me if Freo got both McGoverns... They'll be going places. Fills the massive contested marking void the club has.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crows supporters when he leaves "Nah he was s**t, can't mark can't kick, never liked him anyway" lol

As a Crows supporter I just laugh at comments like this. I certainly rate McGovern and would like to keep him but if he goes it's not the end of the world. We lost Dangerfield and spent most of the season at the top of the ladder. McGovern is nowhere near as integral to the club. He's been out most of the season injured anyway and it didn't stop us from being competitive.

We could always do what Port does and overpay our players to keep them in Adelaide but instead we are trying to build a side which has a nice spread of talent, rather than hording it all at the top end like we have in recent years.

On a side note - when was the last time a club had two sets of brothers playing? I actually don't think it was that long ago? Did the Ebert's and Burgoyne's all congregate at Port at one stage? I think Sean may have left before Brad joined. I'm not going to google the answer, I enjoy the suspense of waiting for a response :p.

Right club, wrong brothers.

You're right in saying Shaun had left before Brad got there.

But the Burgoyne brothers played with both Cornes brothers

On top of that, they also played with Darryl Wakelin and Josh Carr, whose brothers were also playing AFL at the time (for different clubs).

Crows supporters when he leaves "Nah he was s**t, can't mark can't kick, never liked him anyway" lol
I was on the record of disliking Dangerfield before he left. Should of traded him the year before. All the problems we had with him are the same problems Geelong are having with him now. Show pony, all about him, media circus that even Scott acknowledged the other week. And he can't kick. So there are legitimate reasons.

McGovern on the other hand I rate very highly and would be terrible to lose him. But if he chooses to leave then so be it, if players don't want to play for a club that's on top of the ladder and given him every opportunity to do what he loves and still has no loyalty then seeya.

To have lost the players we have lost over the last five years that just walked out on the club and have the tragedy of Phil Walsh to be where we are now is remarkable , and the fact is Mitch McGovern isn't doing it all on his own down there so it won't be such a big loss for us when we have tex, Jenkins, betts, Cameron etc, all kicking goals . But McGovern does have something they all don't. But he won't leave a gaping hole we can't fill. Everyone said we had no midfield and couldn't replace Dangerfield. Turns out we didn't need to.

Everyone said we had no midfield and couldn't replace Dangerfield. Turns out we didn't need to.

I think Geelong fans are salty because the Crows didn't slide down to the bottom of the ladder after we lost Dangerfield. It must seriously piss them off they took our best player and we still sit above them all season. How else can you explain how much crap we cop from Cats supporters these days? Maybe they are still crying over that final in 97 too.

Firstly, go man city!

Right - so the whole Priddis excuse sounds like a complete load of rubbish to me, but there were rumours circulating anyway. The rumours are built on the following:

- Pictures have surfaced (unverified) showing the McGovern boys wearing Freo gear as kids, and further rumours that they were both massive Freo fans prior to being drafting. Given their dad played for Freo, hardly a revelation.
- Brothers like to play together. It's not mind blowing that reporters are saying 1+1=2. If Mitch lands at Freo, I would almost expect that Jeremy would follow to play with him. In this respect you could also add that Freo are well ahead of WC in their rebuild. Clearly WC are entering a rebuilding phase as well. I'm not sure if they will give any credit to this, but it may be factor.

P.S. **** me if Freo got both McGoverns... They'll be going places. Fills the massive contested marking void the club has.

I would say 90% of players aren't drafted to their childhood team. I don't think this fact plays any part in the discussion for a professional footballer. No player has ever gone from WC to Freo, and I would put my house on it not being Gov that does it.

And how would Freo get the deal done? Both Gov's would be asking for a hell of a pay increase. Freo will struggle to get the deal done for one Gov, let alone his more expensive brother (AA and potential future WC captain)

I would say 90% of players aren't drafted to their childhood team. I don't think this fact plays any part in the discussion for a professional footballer. No player has ever gone from WC to Freo, and I would put my house on it not being Gov that does it.

And how would Freo get the deal done? Both Gov's would be asking for a hell of a pay increase. Freo will struggle to get the deal done for one Gov, let alone his more expensive brother (AA and potential future WC captain)

Couldn't do it in same year. Would have to wait till each in turn is out of contract and make an offer. The new free agent rules will probably help things along.

Really? Gov definitely won't be the first, I'll give you that.

I think Geelong fans are salty because the Crows didn't slide down to the bottom of the ladder after we lost Dangerfield. It must seriously piss them off they took our best player and we still sit above them all season. How else can you explain how much crap we cop from Cats supporters these days? Maybe they are still crying over that final in 97 too.
You really think we care about the Crows? Don't think so mate,not at all. We lost one of the best players of the modern era and then won a flag, how could we honestly be salty.

Firstly, go man city!

P.S. **** me if Freo got both McGoverns... They'll be going places. Fills the massive contested marking void the club has.
* Man City

I was on the record of disliking Dangerfield before he left. Should of traded him the year before. All the problems we had with him are the same problems Geelong are having with him now. Show pony, all about him, media circus that even Scott acknowledged the other week. And he can't kick. So there are legitimate reasons.

McGovern on the other hand I rate very highly and would be terrible to lose him. But if he chooses to leave then so be it, if players don't want to play for a club that's on top of the ladder and given him every opportunity to do what he loves and still has no loyalty then seeya.

To have lost the players we have lost over the last five years that just walked out on the club and have the tragedy of Phil Walsh to be where we are now is remarkable , and the fact is Mitch McGovern isn't doing it all on his own down there so it won't be such a big loss for us when we have tex, Jenkins, betts, Cameron etc, all kicking goals . But McGovern does have something they all don't. But he won't leave a gaping hole we can't fill. Everyone said we had no midfield and couldn't replace Dangerfield. Turns out we didn't need to.
Cmon mate, pretty emotional post without much factual backing.
Danger can kick. You don't get to #1 in the AFL by being a s**t kick. He is, undoubtedly, a show pony though.
Few other points:
- Adelaide are on top, but certainly not convincingly.
- Freo will pay him double what Adelaide can. To Adelaide, he is a nice to have, but sits behind Tex, Betts, and arguably Jenkins and Lynch in that forward line. At Freo he is out and out Number 1. That makes him way more valuable to Freo, than Adelaide. I don't know about you, but if someone offered me double pay to do the same work, I sure as hell would not be loyal to my current employer.

I do agree you will lose something valuable, which is his contested marking. Both of them are amazing contested marks, which is why Mitch is hot property right now - if you could select one type of player that Freo needs the most, it is that type.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back