The McGovern conundrum

What comes to mind when someone says ‘McGovern’

• Up against JSoS for 3rd tall fwd. I prefer the hardworking JSoS.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • Up against JSoS for 3rd tall fwd. I prefer McGovern as he has the 3xtra gear when fit.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Can play with JSoS, CC and Harry. I don’t believe that is too tall, and to hell with def tackling.

Votes: 10 6.4%
  • I see McGovern as a third tall defender. Ahead of Plowman, Kemp and Marchbank.

Votes: 19 12.2%
  • I don’t see McGovern as having the hardness, determination and concentration of a defender.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I rate Mcgoverns speed and kicking and just want him in the 22.

Votes: 33 21.2%
  • I see McGovern’s lack of commitment and feel he should prove himself fwd or back in the VFL.

Votes: 49 31.4%
  • How dare you insinuate anything negative about our player (provided for the believers/derailers)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
McGovern is in my nominal working team for next year. I have 20 names in that team with 2 spots swinging.

It's up to Vossy, Hansen, McG and Russell what role they give him and prepare him for. By the bye round we should know if he is an ongoing conveyance. At 27yo, it's now or never. Either his mind and body deliver, or they don't.

I see him playing forward. But he has versatility on his side.

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Down back, key forward, third tall, back up ruckman, none of it means a thing when he can’t get fit enough to play AFL. Without looking at the stats, I’d be surprised if he’s been able to string more than 5 games together in the last 3 years, once this issue has been overcome, then this discussion becomes important.

BlueTang

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I think the previous coaches have rushed him back into our first side way to early in the past. He’s barely had time to get his touch back in the twos, then been put into the seniors. Some players you can do that to, I don’t think McG is one of them and it has probably affected his confidence.

I reckon he will be the clubs next Daisy Thomas, after a rough start, he comes good and gives us a few good years. He’s a father now, I think that grounds most people and hopefully gets him to really put in some dedication to his profession and team.

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
His body is what let’s him down. He is obviously not the player we hoped he would become when we recruited him but he still does his job as a third tall compared to what else we have.
JSOS is rightly consistently praised for his defensive efforts but McGovern is every bit as good and a much bigger threat forward imo. To be honest I like both and wouldn’t really rate either much better then the other. Both are ok players

bmaurizio

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Singapore
AFL Club
Carlton
Renegotiate the contract. Instead of 2x700k, resign at 4x550. More guaranteed money overall and job security for Gov, less of a hit to salary cap yearly for Carlton.
Looking at the level remuneration Mitch receives and given his performances or lack of, it’s painful who opened this Pandora’s box? best left closed , until the pain is numbed.

azlou

Club Legend
Mar 31, 2010
hampton
AFL Club
Carlton
I’m sure some one can correct my foggy memory but for some reason I remember our 95 side full of injury prone players that came good for that year extremely talented that came good when it counted
Dean rice the rhino might be wrong but Pearce, Allan and a couple of others
For some reason I can see the Gov lighting it up in finals
As Fev was supplied by Houlihan ide like to see Gove supplied by Cerra and O’Brien
He is very quick like Fev was so a lot of the time our players kick it over his head on the lead
I never gave up on Dean Rice and I never gave up on Luke O’Sullivan so I’m not going to give up on Gov
I still see his best position as third tall forward

Justnetime

Team Captain
May 18, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
I’m sure some one can correct my foggy memory but for some reason I remember our 95 side full of injury prone players that came good for that year extremely talented that came good when it counted
As Fev was supplied by Houlihan ide like to see Gove supplied by Cerra and O’Brien
He is very quick like Fev was so a lot of the time our players kick it over his head on the lead
I never gave up on Dean Rice and I never gave up on Luke O’Sullivan so I’m not going to give up on Gov

That is a good perspective but let me put you under a bit more pressure. JSoS and McGovern complete a full preseason healthy. Who do you pick rounds 1-3? Or are you a 4 tall forward line person?

Personally, I feel for the sake of integrity and backing in hard work JSoS simply has to start everything held even or Vossy is making the same mistakes Teague made.

bmaurizio

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Singapore
AFL Club
Carlton
We’ll it would be high time that Mitch pulled the finger out and produced some decent form now and then, as a professional footballer he’s been awful, hopefully he redeems himself next year, he’ll be an OOC player end 2022/23? .

azlou

Club Legend
Mar 31, 2010
hampton
AFL Club
Carlton
That is a good perspective but let me put you under a bit more pressure. JSoS and McGovern complete a full preseason healthy. Who do you pick rounds 1-3? Or are you a 4 tall forward line person?

Personally, I feel for the sake of integrity and backing in hard work JSoS simply has to start everything held even or Vossy is making the same mistakes Teague made.
Who ever looks better on the track ide assume that would be Gov if fully fit
Jsos has made up ground as his kicking has improved but if he wants to take that spot he better be out there practicing tomorrow

Jan 20, 2008
Bullengarook
AFL Club
Carlton
“If fit” - a defence trying to curtail big H & Charlie then has to worry about a pretty tall gov but also a lightning quick gov. Not many big defenders will match gov on a lead - who’s a good 3rd big bodied super quick defender in the league? SOS gives his all but then he too has been let down by injury. SOS doesn’t have the speed - remember govs chase down tackle this year. If his body clicks & holds up he’ll be a defensive headache cos he has a huge leap & explosive chase down speed.

Donnini

Team Captain
Dec 16, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Whats the point he is always injured. COuld have made a name for himself at Carlton - he has got the attributes but Jack is by far more reliable and more upside.

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton

I reckon it would come down to the composition of the rest of the forwardline and whether we go with two rucks.

Also depends on what Voss/MC values: reliability or talent.

Dec 26, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
McGov needs to prove that his body is up to it but IMO there's prob only room for 2 of JSOS, Kennedy & McGov in the side at the one time - McGov offers more as a target inside f50 but lacks the ability to play in the midfield or workrate of the other two.
For your reasons noted I only see Gov as a depth 3rd tall or, if he wants a permanent gig, he shows enough to displace Plow down back. Marchy also gunning for that spot, so let’s see if he has it in him to meet this challenge.

bmaurizio

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Singapore
AFL Club
Carlton
Don't think he has the pace (aerobic capacity or whatever they call it these days) to play down back (least not for an entire game)

Ideally he should hover around the wing and Half Foward Flank.
Agree, nor the application or discipline to defend effectively. However, Voss may give him an opportunity to prove us all wrong, let’s keep our fingers crossed, there’s definitely some xfactor about Mitch’s playing style, maybe his best is yet to come.

BlueJet

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
North Ballarat
For your reasons noted I only see Gov as a depth 3rd tall or, if he wants a permanent gig, he shows enough to displace Plow down back. Marchy also gunning for that spot, so let’s see if he has it in him to meet this challenge.
It'll be interesting to see how Voss & co want to structure the side.
If they want two rucks, there likely won't be room in the side for some of Jack, Kennedy or McGovern.
If McGovern can add the extra string to his bow of being able to be deployed defensively it'd be hugely beneficial as he, Kemp & Charlie could cause headaches with their marking ability around the ground which allows us to transition the ball a little quicker to Harry or TDK deep, who themselves are obviously difficult matchups for anyone left one out deep.

passmark

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 26, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Don't think he has the pace (aerobic capacity or whatever they call it these days) to play down back (least not for an entire game)

Ideally he should hover around the wing and Half Foward Flank.
You can’t hide anywhere anymore. He’ll have to have the fitness required.

The first time a ball gets run out of our forward line because he couldn’t chase he’d be dropped to the magoos.

I think Voss likes out and out talent and he’ll want McGovern fit and available.

we had a dream run in 95 with injuries - I just thought that was how things were - that a heavy injury load was an exception - it has since become our default

Back