The McGovern conundrum

What comes to mind when someone says ‘McGovern’

• Up against JSoS for 3rd tall fwd. I prefer the hardworking JSoS.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • Up against JSoS for 3rd tall fwd. I prefer McGovern as he has the 3xtra gear when fit.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Can play with JSoS, CC and Harry. I don’t believe that is too tall, and to hell with def tackling.

Votes: 10 6.4%
  • I see McGovern as a third tall defender. Ahead of Plowman, Kemp and Marchbank.

Votes: 19 12.2%
  • I don’t see McGovern as having the hardness, determination and concentration of a defender.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I rate Mcgoverns speed and kicking and just want him in the 22.

Votes: 33 21.2%
  • I see McGovern’s lack of commitment and feel he should prove himself fwd or back in the VFL.

Votes: 49 31.4%
  • How dare you insinuate anything negative about our player (provided for the believers/derailers)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Coops93

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
I've never bought into McGovern down back really, but now maybe it's worth a go. Can't hurt, especially if Marchy isn't quite ready to go early in the year.

HaydossJ

All Australian
Oct 4, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
can you describe that a bit, hd? what impressed?
I remember his spoiling was a positive. Looking through the stats he managed 5 for the game - 5th most on the ground. He also didn't lose a single defensive one-on-one. Can't remember who he was playing on, however. He has great closing speed. Playing from behind forces him to be accountable. It also helps his mindset and gives him a clearly defined role. I'm optimistic.

Aphrodite

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"

On the potential of Mitch McGovern moving to defence-
He’s got some real ability and he can play forward and can go back. It’s certainly an option for ‘Vossy’ to work through for sure.

BigBreakfast

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow
I'll take solace from the general principle that I had a post deleted for containing a weight related slang at McGovern, when I was calling out people for using weight related slangs about McGovern. Word locator must be working, saves reading fir context I guess.

CJMB

Premiership Player
Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I'll take solace from the general principle that I had a post deleted for containing a weight related slang at McGovern, when I was calling out people for using weight related slangs about McGovern. Word locator must be working, saves reading fir context I guess.
pretty sure posts quoting deleted posts also get deleted…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CJMB

Premiership Player
Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
If there was a stat for good leads into space that are ignored I reckon he'd be up there. Not sure if it was teague's thing with Gov being predominantly a decoy or we just preferred to either hit up Harry/Levi/someone close to goals, maybe in the pocket, with a bit telegraphed high bomb or the alternative of the s***y short kick just inside 50 that's out on the boundary.

Will be interesting to see if Voss's game style along with Cerra & Hewett into the middle changes that, in which case you'd think Gov should be getting his hands on the ball more often. Also Charlie being better for the run late last year and a full preseason, plus Jack has improved, so more threats. Also our forward pressure should be higher, with the likes of Martin, Honey, Fogarty, Durdin, etc being good tacklers.

Kings of Lygon

Team Captain
Aug 31, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
I have next to no hope that McGovern ends up being a consistently good AFL player and it has nothing to do with his talent, because he has heaps.

How a pro athlete, earning big money by anyone's standards cannot get themselves in good physical condition to perform is beyond me, there's simply no excuse for it. Of course he can turn it around, but it speaks to his attitude how he has presented himself so far in his career. He is bloody 27 now. Very happy to be proven wrong, but I hold no expectations for him.

JustaBattler

Everyone Looks Better In Blue
May 31, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
I guess in theory you’re correct. Realistically though?
Nothing 'theoretical' about it - Mitch is a better-contested mark, higher leap, better kick at goal ( by a long way) and much much faster. His only problem in '21 was pulling a bad hammy - he looked fit and played fit prior to that injury.

I see SOJ as the best 'utility' on our books - his key attributes are effort at the contest ( midfield attribute) and footy 'smarts' - no reason why they both cant play - Harry | Honey | Martin | SOJ | Charlie | McGovern - with Cuningham/Durdin/Owies on bench rotation.

Durdin Harry Honey
Martin Charlie McGovern
SOJ rotation

Not concerned about forward line at all for next year - Cuningham | Owies | Philp and maybe Kemp up the sleeve as well.

Biggest challenge is to get defensive game plan right between the arcs and in defensive 50. Pittonet and TDK can learn to drop back into slot as defensive rucks will help with height back there.

Stop playing Fisher/Dow types who cant tackle fixes most of those problems anyway - easiest fix in the book - especially with willing players like Philp Caroll Cuningham Kemp Stocker - pushing for a go and with Hewett/Cerra adding some credibility to midfield.

Dont know what all the fuss is about re McGovern - other players way way way behind him.

Justnetime

Debutant
May 18, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Nothing 'theoretical' about it - Mitch is a better-contested mark, higher leap, better kick at goal ( by a long way) and much much faster. His only problem in '21 was pulling a bad hammy - he looked fit and played fit prior to that injury.
I think the only thing you forgot to say here is that McGovern is all of that for 5 mins per game or at best half a game.

The comparison is a little bit like Hampson and Kreuzer. Hampson could leap tall buildings and had all the attributes over Kruezer but we know which of those two we preferred in our best 22. Jack and Kreuzer were/are warriors. Sean and Mitch were/are useless and conditional respectively.

azlou

Club Legend
Mar 31, 2010
hampton
AFL Club
Carlton

I see SOJ as the best 'utility' on our books - his key attributes are effort at the contest ( midfield attribute) and footy 'smarts' - no reason why they both cant play - Harry | Honey | Martin | SOJ | Charlie | McGovern - with Cuningham/Durdin/Owies on bench rotation.

Durdin Harry Honey
Martin Charlie McGovern
SOJ rotation

Not concerned about forward line at all for next year - Cuningham | Owies | Philp and maybe Kemp up the sleeve as well.

Biggest challenge is to get defensive game plan right between the arcs and in defensive 50. Pittonet and TDK can learn to drop back into slot as defensive rucks will help with height back there.

Stop playing Fisher/Dow types who cant tackle fixes most of those problems anyway - easiest fix in the book - especially with willing players like Philp Caroll Cuningham Kemp Stocker - pushing for a go and with Hewett/Cerra adding some credibility to midfield.

Dont know what all the fuss is about re McGovern - other players way way way behind him.
Having our rucks float back instead of forward makes a lot of sense helps with the loss of Liam keeps our forward line open up

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad