Opinion The McGuire/Buckley titanic football club should quit before sinking the ship.

Who should stand down at the pies

• Buckley & McGuire

Votes: 185 65.8%
  • Just Buckley

Votes: 9 3.2%
  • Just McGuire

Votes: 55 19.6%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 11.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It's Crows level which is a worry, it's like having Fagan, Roo still involved, they can change everything else but until those guys go nothing really changes...

It is the problem with having former champions of your club in high position positions within your club. When they don't perform fans are much more reluctant to demand accountability. If Collingwood was coached by someone who prior to becoming coach at Collingwood had no real connection with the club and this person had done the same things as Buckley with the same performances that person would be gone now.

I've renewed, but I want McGuire and Buckley to fall on their swords.

Looking forward to the AGM meeting early next year. It's going to be a fiery one.

9 out of 10 Pies supporters I know a want them both gone. They have had more time than any other coach or President to deliver and they haven't.

The saying is the fish rots from the head. Well where were the heads of Collingwood over the past two weeks? Pushing some unknown list manager onto the stage to be run over by the bus. Maybe he was the guy who couldn't run an excel sheet? Maybe he could but no one listened. Only the Pies know.

But the p3rformance of Bucks and Eddie has been terrible.

John Elliot Mark 2, both did good things at their start of their reign, then started to drink their own bathwater, thinking they could do no wrong, guessing there is not a lot of trust between players and management at Collingwood right now.

9 out of 10 Pies supporters I know a want them both gone. They have had more time than any other coach or President to deliver and they haven't.

The saying is the fish rots from the head. Well where were the heads of Collingwood over the past two weeks? Pushing some unknown list manager onto the stage to be run over by the bus. Maybe he was the guy who couldn't run an excel sheet? Maybe he could but no one listened. Only the Pies know.

But the p3rformance of Bucks and Eddie has been terrible.

They want them gone but dont want to do anything to ever achieve that

They are saying "I hate broccolli" then going to the shops and buying 2kg of broccolli to put in their fridge.

Actions dont match your words make your words irrelevant if you ask me

I’ve been a critic of Collingwood throughout this but....I’m inclined to believe Buckley - He acknowledged they didn’t handle it well publicly, and that it was tough/harsh privately. Also confirmed what I suspected about the ‘players want you gone’ stuff - was always far more likely that he had spoken to senior players, let them know what was happening and why and they agreed it was the best way forward for the club due to the salary squeeze.

Doesn’t change the greater outside perception though obviously - it was handled badly from an outgoing player perspective as well as at the trade table and how it played out in the media.

It is the problem with having former champions of your club in high position positions within your club. When they don't perform fans are much more reluctant to demand accountability. If Collingwood was coached by someone who prior to becoming coach at Collingwood had no real connection with the club and this person had done the same things as Buckley with the same performances that person would be gone now.
Like Knights at Essendon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can other clubs please help us. Feel like Kim Jong Eddie will reign forever
The best help any other clubs could have given Coll would have been to not select any of the players they were looking to unload. Then they would have blown the cap and had to face the consequences for once. As it is they squealed and squirmed their way into some kind of Twilight zone where they're now talking about going after big fish with all their free cap space.

Anyway, having watched my Tigers finally get it together after four decades it's easy to sit in judgement.from on high. I think everyone agrees, it's not getting rid of good players, it's the way they were dealt with. Good clubs exit their players with dignity and care.

Geez, some of Bucks' affirmations are straight out of the Lindeman's Shiraz cask playbook. Wow

Look it was a total ballz up. Makes sense they rolled the dice after 2018 back ending contracts hoping to grab a flag, they ran out of time in the end.

I think the supporters would have been annoyed about losing 3 best 22 players but would have been less annoyed if they were told the truth straight away instead of being fed bs. I am a little disappointed with Buckley though, I have always admired him for being forthright ...

keep your knickers on, settle mate, things are not that bad. It's pretty big fall from the 2018 height. Collingwood won't be in such a predictament if not the covid 19 as it caught the club off guard. In hindsight, pies won't be in this position if it let de goey go to us north at the end of 2018. But then again it would have a very brave move for a player who outperformed martina, kicked 48 goals and nearly won the GF for the team. Had De Goey came to us, we now would be in big big trouble with his 1 million for 6 year deal and his assault charges. If we got him, we might have to pay him a lot of money plus lose him for a while if the crime was true.

Pies STILL following the Richmond model. After a disastrous season in 2016 there was an attempted coup to take over the Tiges, similar to what's mooted now at the Holden Centre. A year later, well the rest is history.

Problem is, when you only pay lip service, you end up just getting a smack in the mouth.

sounds like you know about getting smacked in the mouth

So if a player is unlikely to perform because his wife and child are interstate; what about a coach who separated from his wife and is getting a divorce?
as relevant as a north legend that changes from a man to a woman.
By the way is North supporting Dani or disowning the club legend?

Back