Draft Profile Harry McKay and Ben McKay

Remove this Banner Ad

412685-tlsgalleryportrait.jpg

Do you even lift?

McKays turn 18 on Christmas Eve. Younger than Jack Silvagni. :drunk:

McKay, Curnow and SOSOS could be an exciting group if they develop together.
He knows how to bulk.

Harry's injury set back is not a positive, but we did catch it 'early', so hopefully it can be managed well.
I saw a bit of McKay last year and he moved as well as any guy 200 cm tall. He has shown he has a nice leap and his marking will improve. His set shot routine needs some work - kicking on the run looks a LOT smoother.

I didn't see as much of his brother, but he was nicknamed 'Buckets' for his hands.

I do gather that both lads would prefer to be at different clubs - not that they don't like each other, but as twins they really want to forge independent identities.
Fair enough.

Harry's injury set back is not a positive, but we did catch it 'early', so hopefully it can be managed well.
I saw a bit of McKay last year and he moved as well as any guy 200 cm tall. He has shown he has a nice leap and his marking will improve. His set shot routine needs some work - kicking on the run looks a LOT smoother.

I didn't see as much of his brother, but he was nicknamed 'Buckets' for his hands.

I do gather that both lads would prefer to be at different clubs - not that they don't like each other, but as twins they really want to forge independent identities.
Fair enough.
I saw a bit of Ben over the preseason. He too has had a setback, although much less significant than Harry, tweaking his shoulder in the gym. North are really holding him back in regards to match conditions, although he did get a bit of game sense work in over the last few months. Like Harry, Ben moves really well and is agressive at the contest. His marking and kicking are good and in time id expect him to do well at AFL level, as long as he develops well. North see him as a forward at this stage.

I take it that's a fairly flat one involving lots of VFL twos footy and/or rehab?
Harry in rehab last year and Ben this year. Ben looked close to a debut at the start of the season and only played 3 games in the dev league last year though. Both great marks but suspect kicks.

So is Ben playing forward now? He was recruited as a defender wasn't he?

He was not defined either way. He played at both ends as a junior.

Werribee have predominately played him forward but he had a run in the ruck recently when Preuss was injured.

Norths key defensive posts seem to be shored up, so Ben is most likely to get opportunities as a forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are North fans concerned that a guy drafted #73 last year (a pick where you shouldn't expect to find an AFL standard KPF) is debuting ahead of Ben McKay?

McKay has missed a big chunk of the season due to injury and only returned to the VFL a fortnight ago.

Larkey could end up being the steal of the 2016 draft. He wouldn't be going #73 if the draft was held again tomorrow.

Are North fans concerned that a guy drafted #73 last year (a pick where you shouldn't expect to find an AFL standard KPF) is debuting ahead of Ben McKay?

Not really, he's 5th in VFL goal kicking and a beanpole, he's pretty much outperforming any young KPP for any Victorian side in the VFL at the moment.

Why wouldn't you be delighted that the guy you "stole" at 73 is already playing AFL? Aside from mature agers, I doubt there'd be more than a handful of 5th rounders/rookies who have graced the AFL fields for premiership points in 2017.

Given he is a KPP, Larkey is a fair way ahead of the curve. Plus, McKay hadn't played anywhere near as much footy growing up as Larkey has. So I'd keep McKay safe and celebrate Larkey if I was a North fan.

Not Really After hitting the target with pretty much the last 10 1st rounders, I dont think that is so important for richmond and i rate our later selections and our trades as more of a priority like Townsend,Moore,Yarran and even Marcon

Rioli is a speculative selection that may or may not come off and will be considered a 'Bonus' If he is any more than a 20-25 goal a year small foward but the small speedy goal kicking foward is a position that we are extremely desperate to fill as once the ball hits the ground we were relying on the steven morris types to be the crumber and also the defensive foward we have missed since Jake King retired
yeah the Yarran trade was a ripper ;)

Ben has been sent back to defence for patches in recent weeks and played full time defence on saturday (Werribee v Collingwood).

Took 11 marks and was named in the bests.

Coming along nicely. There are whispers he may debut this week.

Both are what 19 years old? Plenty of time for both to develop.

Enormous upside in these kids.

People just need to be patient.

Ignore the doubters.

Definitely. They are very raw beanpoles and very young. Don't expect anything other than the occasional sign before they're about 22yo.

They both have serious potential, though. That hasn't changed since draft day, and I think recruiters from all clubs would have had both of them in their plans at some stage.

yeah the Yarran trade was a ripper ;)
I think he has done better than the bloke you guys passed up Big Peter Wright for , What was his name ???

Kristian Jacksh wasnt it. I remember your recruiting guy saying your club rated him at #5 and were delighted to get him for such a bargain.

I think he has done better than the bloke you guys passed up Big Peter Wright for , What was his name ???

Kristian Jacksh wasnt it. I remember your recruiting guy saying your club rated him at #5 and were delighted to get him for such a bargain.

Stay on topic - and try to show a bit of class. Topic is the McKay Brothers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back