The Media and Social Responsibility

Remove this Banner Ad

Mattie2016

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Dear fellow Bulldogs,

I posted this on the AFL board, but thought I'd share it here, to get the thoughts of our people, on how the way we report and support, is adversely impacting our players and the game in general. I welcome your thoughts...

We were once a society who celebrated achievements, backed the underdog and inspired generations to hope and believe, through our support and positivity.

Somewhere, along the way, we have deviated catastrophically from the values that we once heralded as our 'Australian Identity' through the Anzac spirit; love, positivity, humour, integrity, having 'a go', mateship, support. These are not the values that we see promoted in the mass or social media realms here in Australia. They are myths, and, sadly, we have devolved in the way interact, report and support.

I recently visited the archive section of the State Library to read old sports articles in order to get a flavour of how footy was viewed here in the post-war years. I was immediately struck by the wonderful tone of each story; journalists celebrated the beauty, romance and hope of our teams, sportsmen and women, willing the reader to back them to succeed and believe in them, with each exuberant word they wrote. I was transported into an era of joy and happiness, to a time that I associate with cricket commentators enthusiastically describing the times: "Here is Donald Bradman. A true favorite of the people of Melbourne as he stops to sign an autograph for this lucky boy. Look at the smiles on the children's faces as they savour the moment with their hero. This fan can hardly contain her excitement...". Sadly, this is a passed era, replaced by cynicism, pursuit of scandal, conflict, reaction and headlines.

But who is to blame? The out-of-shape man sitting in partial darkness as he angrily taps at his keyboard in response to a perceived failing from an actual athlete or professional? Is it the so-called expert panelist or journalist who seeks to out-do a colleague with outlandish statements, speculation or click-baiting headlines that divide, diminish and destroy? We live in a society that craves the next best thing, instant gratification and hyperbole. So, journalists can only remain relevant if they reach for the superlative, cut down the tall poppies, demand coach sackings and find stories, even when there aren't any.

But, for what purpose? Journalists and wannabe social influencers alike, may get a personal boost from their short-lived notoriety or likes they receive, or for the conversation or outrage generated. But the toll on our game, our heroes and our attitudes is a toxic national shame. The damage done to a young star such as Tom Boyd, who was routinely built up, ripped down and scrutinised on every element of his professional and personal value, is an example which evokes both rage and sadness in me. Despite his talents and achievements, the need to target a vulnerable person, known to be struggling, by experienced media figures, some of whom have played elite sport and surely know and understand the sacrifices and bloodshed players experience, beggars belief. To then log onto any footy forum or discussion page on the internet, only to see the same vitriol as modelled by the mass media, this time coming from the loud and largely-illiterate armchair lizards. These are real members of the public, who may be your uncle, the woman who sits in the next bay from you at the footy, your work colleague or the teenager that just served you at Coles. Somehow, they believe they have been given the permission and freedom to say whatever they wish, regardless of the impact and consequences.

This devolution of reporting and supporting needs to be addressed, as a matter of urgency, starting with the acceptance of responsibility of all to act with the decency, respect and attitude of yesteryear.

Both the jobs my parents did do not exist anymore well in Australia anyway, this is progress apparently.
We don't even have a brand of car produced in Australia anymore almost all of my friends cut their
teeth on an old Holden or a Ford, this is a disgrace. You think things are bad now just wait until the
petrol runs out then s**t meet the fan big time. I don't get the rationale that someone must be to blame
for things that are regarded as progress, everyone knows everything these days sometimes before it
even happens. I yearn for a simpler life, but it is gone like the dodo and the dinosaurs. Happiness is
the true myth these days, but I would not know as I have not purchased the app yet.

The only man who is reflected in the mirror is me and I am looking buff.

Huge topic Mattie. What we see in and around the AFL is just a part of what's happening with journalism and social media right across the country. And beyond.

I admire your aspiration that it "needs to be addressed" but we're talking about some major societal and media dynamics here, not just something peculiar to the AFL. There's a heap more I could write on this but it'd be a long and inappropriate post for a BF thread. Besides others have said it better ...

If you get a chance have a listen to the podcasts of Scott Stephens and Waleed Aly (and guests) in "The Minefield". You might need the ABC Listen app for this. There are at least two recent instalments where they start by talking about the AFP raids on News Limited and the ABC but it's not really so much about the AFP and the security state. It incorporates an insightful analysis of modern journalism, social media and how and why the news is shaped and delivered as it is.

What's the answer? Dunno mate. But I do know that every individual who has honest values and empathy for the players is going to be part of the solution. Or at least help.

Keep punchin', as they say.

We're not there yet but I see parallels with Rollerball. The dystopian SciFi movie from 1975 that looks at 2018. The AFL is the corporation and the players are the heroes and cannon fodder.

Oddly today, I have some slight admiration for Kyrgios. He was right in challenging Nadals slow play. The rest is plain brat stuff but we need some anti-heroes to divide opinion in the masses.

We're not there yet but I see parallels with Rollerball. The dystopian SciFi movie from 1975 that looks at 2018. The AFL is the corporation and the players are the heroes and cannon fodder.

Oddly today, I have some slight admiration for Kyrgios. He was right in challenging Nadals slow play. The rest is plain brat stuff but we need some anti-heroes to divide opinion in the masses.
It’s funny you say that , as a fan outside of victoria , it always stands out to me the the AFL is actually seemingly off limits to journalistic attack but not the individuals .

Do they journos take their frustrations out on the players instead ..

Hang about, admiration and Kyrgios in the same sentence? Have to think about that... :p

Study The Wasteland. Published in about 1920 it explains it all. We are living in the end times of a dying civilisation. Enjoy what is left of footy while it lasts. They are coming for us all, one by one. And when you look around for someone to stop them from taking you away, there will be no-one because they have all been taken away.

The Don and Jezza, they will be passwords to persecution. Forget them and never repeat them out aloud if you want to survive. The day is coming. It is almost nigh.

Far too many excuses in this world

Individuals need to start taking control of their lives and realise how bloody lucky we are to live NOW.

We look for scapegoats at every corner and there is always a reason, other than self ownership, for people’s actions and behaviours.

I’m astounded by the amount of people who say they suffer depression these days. The figures are extraordinary compared to generations that fought in Wars and had greater concerns than bad words on social media.

Obviously the media needs some control but the root problem now is the acceptance that people can fold under the slightest pressure and we coddle them.

Look at Dayne Beams. He is a gambling addict who is so far in debt he has not a cent left of any money earned and owes more. Endangered his families future with gambling and was treated like a hero for being “so brave” and admitting he has an issue.

Stop looking to blame others and put the fault of the problem back on those that make the errors.

Mental health is clearly an issue in today’s soft society but it also the biggest excuse for disgusting actions we have today.

Last edited:
Far too many excuses in this world

Individuals need to start taking control of their lives and realise how bloody lucky we are to live NOW.

We look for scapegoats at every corner and their is always a reason, other than self ownership, for people’s actions and behaviours.

I’m astounded by the amount of people who say they suffer depression these days. The figures are extraordinary compared to generations that fought in Wars and had greater concerns than bad words on social media.

Obviously the media needs some control but the root problem now is the acceptance that people can fold under the slightest pressure and we coddle them.

Look at Dayne Beams. He is a gambling addict who is so far in debt he has not a cent left of any money earned and owes more. Endangered his families future with gambling and was treated like a hero for being so brave and admitting he has an issue.

Stop looking to blame others and put the fault of the problem back on those that make the errors.

Mental health is clearly an issue on today’s soft society but it also the biggest excuse for disgusting actions we have today.

Beautifully nuanced insights their mate.

You would have to be a ****ing idiot to be on social media. A complete, ignorant halfwit.

The Chinese are on to the future - Social Credit + complete video surveillance. Coming here to a device near you soon.

Everything is set up for a Chinese style version here.

And if you are stupid enough to be on social media, you are going to to get everything you deserve soon.

Enjoy!

Lol the “good old days” eh? Hahahahaahhaahahhahaahhaahaha

When Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people couldn’t vote and women were expected to be housewives. Charming.

* yesteryear.

When Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people couldn’t vote and women were expected to be housewives. Charming.

**** yesteryear.

That seems unnecessarily black-and-white. Just because things have improved relative to a few decades ago on average doesn't mean everything is better, does it? Nor does it mean that we can't improve things further.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That seems unnecessarily black-and-white. Just because things have improved relative to a few decades ago on average doesn't mean everything is better, does it? Nor does it mean that we can't improve things further.

When the things I mentioned are part and parcel of the conservative values of the time that people are valorising I don’t think so.

We also only have access to a small subset of information from the time so any nostalgia is necessarily misguided.

Very much like people’s assumptions that violence at the footy is somehow worse now. It categorically isn’t and the values then where outright s**t.

**** yesteryear.

Your post suggests you played no part in any of those changes and ameliorations of societal injustice issues. Be that so, curse today instead and don't be so offensive damning the courageous struggles of yesteryear.

When the things I mentioned are part and parcel of the conservative values of the time that people are valorising I don’t think so.

We also only have access to a small subset of information from the time so any nostalgia is necessarily misguided.

Very much like people’s assumptions that violence at the footy is somehow worse now. It categorically isn’t and the values then where outright s**t.

It seems to me that if any values are being valourised in this thread (particularly in the OP), it is those of civility, consideration, and kindness. I don't see those as being conservative values by any means, or specific to a particular time period. The nostalgia may be misplaced, but the desire for a less frothing, vituperative media and public discourse---whether in footy, or in general---seems spot on to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back