Toast The media....*Nods Head*

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to see Jack getting a gig with Port Adelaide. He's a top-notch journo and will give us excellent matchday reviews. Won't need a translator like Tom Browne either :p

I've always said he gets a lot more flack than he deserves.

He's idiotic some of the time, but gets things right quite a bit of the time too.

The thing with being an online journo in the is your employer makes their money predominantly via ad revenue aka clicks. This basically means that quantity that produces clicks > quality. To get clicks you don't have to write good s**t, you just have to write outrageous s**t. The clicks of a person who wants to read a well thought out article is worth the same as the click of a bogan who wants to find out about what bailey baileyson from the bulldogs did on the weekend. When you operate in this market where your managements concern is cashflow, because that's how they keep their job, conforming to this model is enforced implicitly. This is why the most prevalent/'successful' journos are hated - because they succeed in this model. I largely suspect many journos hate it, but its easy for someone like me to say 'write good s**t' when im not stuck in that system and dont have to write to put food on the table.

The thing with being an online journo in the is your employer makes their money predominantly via ad revenue aka clicks. This basically means that quantity that produces clicks > quality. To get clicks you don't have to write good sh*t, you just have to write outrageous sh*t. The clicks of a person who wants to read a well thought out article is worth the same as the click of a bogan who wants to find out about what bailey baileyson from the bulldogs did on the weekend. When you operate in this market where your managements concern is cashflow, because that's how they keep their job, conforming to this model is enforced implicitly. This is why the most prevalent/'successful' journos are hated - because they succeed in this model. I largely suspect many journos hate it, but its easy for someone like me to say 'write good sh*t' when im not stuck in that system and dont have to write to put food on the table.

Liked purely for "Bailey Baileyson from the Western Bulldogs".

He's idiotic some of the time, but gets things right quite a bit of the time too.

Yeah, there's long been a perception that Barrett is an idiot and Caro some wise head, when the truth is Caro isn't much more than a bed wetting gossip columnist. Her hatchet job on Peter V'landys early last year for daring to get the NRL season up and running amidst covid (only for the AFL to follow suit 2 weeks later) was outrageous.
Both competitions came back, the sky didn't fall in, and Caro slunk off like a fool.

Damo uses incredibly obvious logic on a situation that is completely ridiculous and illogical (being told not to wear something that doesn't clash). Anybody at AFL house that doesn't agree with this should be fired:

View attachment 1086113

200.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is a drama queen on the Sunday Footy show. Everything is super serious that he looks at and he has to be hard hitting. You listen to the longer podcasts he does with Hutchy on SEN and you can tell that he knows his stuff and has a decent balance. Even on the AFL website, in his videos he is a lot better balanced than what he has been on the Sunday Footy show stuff. Maybe that was the shtick the producers asked him to bring to the show when he started a decade or so ago, and he hasn't changed.

He is a drama queen on the Sunday Footy show. Everything is super serious that he looks at and he has to be hard hitting. You listen to the longer podcasts he does with Hutchy on SEN and you can tell that he knows his stuff and has a decent balance. Even on the AFL website, in his videos he is a lot better balanced than what he has been on the Sunday Footy show stuff. Maybe that was the shtick the producers asked him to bring to the show when he started a decade or so ago, and he hasn't changed.
Agree, he is far from perfect.

If we are talking Hutchy, Caro and Barrett though Id have them all in the overall good column.

Compare those three to the rabid morons like Smithson or Lyon that serve up constant dross.

Damo uses incredibly obvious logic on a situation that is completely ridiculous and illogical (being told not to wear something that doesn't clash). Anybody at AFL house that doesn't agree with this should be fired:

View attachment 1086113

Eddie gets too much airtime - this idea is too grown up and logical for the AFL to approach, it's all about ego and politics....

CD on SEN this morning was fantastic. Love this guy. He simply gets Port Adelaide. Hope he's with us for a very long time.

Interesting that Davies repeated the line re: the prison bars.

"we have learnt over time not to try and tell our supporters what to do"

Either they have been gagged by the AFL and this is their way of subtly encouraging us.

Or they want to e able to go back to the AFL and say look at what the fans want, this was all fan driven!

Or they want to stop petitioning the AFL and let the fans drive this harder and harder until it becomes untenable for the AFL not to act.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back