Toast The media....*Nods Head*

Willsy10

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It feels like some on here would love us to fail just to prove they are right about Hinkley.
Yeah It kind of feels like that. I probably haven't been hinkleys number one fan since about the halfway mark of 2015 but I'd love nothing more than for him to prove me and every other armchair critic wrong.

I'm just stunned at how negative this place is and it's only February. The negative vibes are a real buzz kill for my usual pre season optimism.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

And there has been far too much made of losing wingard and polec. It's not that big of a deal.

I tend to think losing our player with the most (or at least, 2nd most) raw talent and one of our quickest movers is a pretty big deal. They are massive loses.

Sep 7, 2014
Port Lincoln Power
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It feels like some on here would love us to fail just to prove they are right about Hinkley.

I think the last four seasons is the reason why some people’s opinion of Hinkley is what it is (including mine).

Having said that I do wish Hinkley turns out to be a successful and fingers crossed
premiership coach under his current contract.

The reality is though is I don’t have any evidence to suggest he will have any more success than what was achieved in his first two years.

Happy to be proven wrong.

Willsy10

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I tend to think losing our player with the most (or at least, 2nd most) raw talent and one of our quickest movers is a pretty big deal. They are massive loses.
It's a loss but not as big as being made out.

The crows lost peak dangerfield who went on to win a brownlow the very next year and they went from semi finalist to minor premier and grand finalist.

Losing one or two guns is not going to cause a whole team to collapse. We should remember this from 2004 when we lost 3 stars, 2 to injury and one to carlton and yet we still improved to become premiers.

The crows lost peak dangerfield who went on to win a brownlow the very next year and they went from semi finalist to minor premier and grand finalist.

Losing one or two guns is not going to cause a whole team to collapse. We should remember this from 2004 when we lost 3 stars, 2 to injury and one to carlton and yet we still improved to become premiers.

Do you consider dropping 3 spots down a collapse? Teams like Crows, Essendon and Brisbane may just end up having better years coming up.

Port have been a middle-of-the-road side for their entire time under Ken Hinkley, capable of flashes of brilliance that seduce us, but rarely with any substance to back it up”

Mmmm and in 12 months and a bit we moved on Impey, Pittard, Polec, Wingard. Plus staunch but slowing clubman Trengove - that last bewildering non selection for obvious matchups against West Coast aside, a bloke whose undeniable 'substance' wasn't quite making up for his lack of 'brilliance' anymore.

The challenge is for plenty of those who remain to step up far more consistently (Jack, Charlie, Stephen... SPP, Bonner, even Amon), and for others merely to step back up at all (Hartlett, Broadbent, even Ryder) would also be a huge step towards on field "substance".

The backward looking part of that assessment is fair. I think we're a really hard group to pick looking forwards.

We get clearances *and* burn the ball. We defend well at the back, relying on intercepts generated by numbers more so than 1:1 contests. We have decent kicks but seem to make a bigger meal than most getting out of defence never mind the dithering at getting it into the hands of a forward near goal. If we were scoring, we were winning... if we were just 'holding' the opposition we were often lost by small margins, but like that other famous bus-parker in round ball we refused to adapt. Well we don't have those "flashy brilliant" above anymore, you know, the ones that our game plan seemed to hope would fire off unstoppable passes forward once we waited for the right bloody moment. Maybe even aside from the rule changes those personnel changes alone were going to force the coach(es?) to be "braver" for 2019.

I wonder if the enforced game plan revision for 6/6/6 makes us look like a new group, with the outcome unintentionally more 2014 like, scoring highly but also being scored against. I wonder how much of the outcome is due to Ken and how much the rest of the brains trust. If the changes work we won't know who to thank for some time. I could live with that. But if the changes don't work... we have a fair chance of correctly guessing who to blast, with little ability to fix it. I choose to live in hope for now. R1 against a decent, clearance centric side that we match up evenly against in recent times should reveal a hell of a lot.

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
I find it odd that the article comments about us being consistently middle of the road and finishing between 5th and 10th with between 10 and 14 win seasons every year for the last 6 but then predicts us to drop right down to 13th with what would only be a 7 or 8 win season.

Maybe the original post would have been better placed in another thread and I would not be happy at that media assessment but on the other hand I do not think it is too harsh. Realistically I think we are looking at a 10-12 finish with the X factors being our new recruits, some new blood on the Coaching Panel and of course the undoubted impact of Hinkley's Co Captain brainwave.

At last some sections of the media are starting to see Hinkley for the under achiever he is. Unfortunately those who run the PAFC cannot see it.

Last edited:
So we've got so down in the dumps on here that an article that predicts us to finish 13th makes the media nods head thread and gets congratulated on how well balanced it is.

That’s because it says what the “realists” want to hear.

Adelaide lacked pace going into the 2017 season and it didn’t bother them. Pace has to be one of the most overrated commodities in Australian Rules football. What’s more important is space - and there is a major difference between the two.

Pace is the ability to break through lines with run and carry. It is an individualistic approach to moving the ball, because it relies on trust in your own ability to run.

Space is the ability to break away from opponents and rack up uncontested possessions. It is a team oriented approach to moving the ball, because it relies on trust in your teammates to deliver the ball.

Of course, you need both...but space creates pace because it stretches the field east and west, which leaves gaps in lines for players to exploit with run without being the most electric at it.

Portmagpies36

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 5, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

With respect you cannot even think about comparing the 2004 list with our current squad.

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I genuinely hope that the Hinkley critics, of which I am one, are wrong. You'd have to be worried on exposed form though.

Hundred millions times agree. If you, I and many others are wrong, I'll gladly bow to the alter of Janus, rescind all I have said and declare both of them football geniuses and renounce all I know about the game from 20 years of playing and twice as long watching. I will gladly do this.

Visenfest

Chasing stability
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hundred millions times agree. If you, I and many others are wrong, I'll gladly bow to the alter of Janus, rescind all I have said and declare both of them football geniuses and renounce all I know about the game from 20 years of playing and twice as long watching. I will gladly do this.
If we're all wrong, screw Janus but I'll give Hinkley some credit.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
LOL. You actually had me going for a second! I have been doing some work on "alters" recently. No, not "altars", but alters as defined in modern urban talk. So I for a second thought you were accusing Janus of this!!!!

An alter is a pseudonym of an internet forum user's primary account.

An alter, as used as a secondary account, will often pen questionable messages that otherwise disrupt the community or break the forum rules.

The ancestry of the term "alter" is derived from "alternate", of which, is often shortened to just "alt".

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks

He's already been wrong quite a few times but yeah I'll give him credit for this year's round of predictions.

Jul 7, 2007
Ziggurat City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LUFC, Patriots
Yeah, if your daughter was going out with a philandering meth head you'd still wish the best for her but ...

Slammer

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2006
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Newcastle Unt. UK, Seattle Seahawks
I'm wondering if Schofield and Montgomery will make a difference. Hinkley is certainly under pressure, as I think our next coach is already here...Jarrad Schofield is very much a senior coach in waiting. The pressure is ON!

Crowboto

Club Legend
Jun 11, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
That’s because it says what the “realists” want to hear.

Adelaide lacked pace going into the 2017 season and it didn’t bother them. Pace has to be one of the most overrated commodities in Australian Rules football. What’s more important is space - and there is a major difference between the two.

Pace is the ability to break through lines with run and carry. It is an individualistic approach to moving the ball, because it relies on trust in your own ability to run.

Space is the ability to break away from opponents and rack up uncontested possessions. It is a team oriented approach to moving the ball, because it relies on trust in your teammates to deliver the ball.

Of course, you need both...but space creates pace because it stretches the field east and west, which leaves gaps in lines for players to exploit with run without being the most electric at it.
Lacked pace in 2017? Cameron,Smith,Seedsman,Betts(on the burst) Milera. U smokin dat crack.

Back