Roast The media....*Shakes Head* Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The sentiment of that article isn't too far away from a lot posted here, and even if that was from a Ports oriented journal like Rooch or Kane Corner, probably an eyebrow wouldn't even lift.
But some guy over there says it, he can get stuffed
You have to laugh at some of the crap they write.
The Football Department worry about football.
The Administration worry about getting the China game sorted so the Football Dept. and players will have a game there.
Its that simple.
And we don't have a President we have a Chairman.

Let's hear it for Double Denim Venom Denham
2A9ngJJ.jpg

Koch also said that it is in the contract that Gold Coast must wear their white guernsey, something that both the AFL and Gold Coast say isn't true.
Yeah but what could be true is that next year we'll be there with Brisbane instead if the Suns don't wear their away strip.

Kochie was pretty clear that we were in the stronger position bargaining wise.

Yeah but what could be true is that next year we'll be there with Brisbane instead if the Suns don't wear their away strip.

Kochie was pretty clear that we were in the stronger position bargaining wise.
Do we get to chose our opponent though? I doubt the AFL will give us that power.

I'm really not sure what you think "reality" is.
I don't know what the reality of this situation is as there are conflicting messages coming from the club, KT "we are not concerned what guernsey GC wear" and Kochie "It is in our contract that they will play their away strip" (which is predominately red), and the AFL "Gold Coast will wear their home guernsey". That is why I used the word "appears".

Last edited:
I don't know what the reality of this situation is as there are conflicting messages coming from the club, KT "we are not concerned what guernsey GC wear" and Kochie "It is in our contract that they will play their away strip" (which is predominately red), and the AFL "Gold Coast well wear their home guernsey". That is why I used the word "appears".
I wouldn't necessarily equate KT saying we aren't concerned what they wear to "we won't negotiate further."

You are right it's hard to read, and their different responses are confusing, but I think it's a bit much to disregard what Kochie says.

If what he says is true then we may refuse to take Gold Coast with us in 2018 if they don't budge. That doesn't conflict with what KT says, and it doesn't conflict with what the AFL says.

I guess we'll just have to wait to see what the club's official line is, but hopefully Kocchie hasn't just messed up.

Travis Auld pointed out that "Kochie doesn't do the fixture" in the interview posted here yesterday (not that he really needed to).

No, but we can choose who we offer the China opportunity to, IF we are paying them to relocate a home game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly. If it becomes a success the AFL will move to put their preferred opponents there instead leaving us shafted again.

Now hang on a minute, look at all the thanks North got for pioneering Friday ni-

Exactly. If it becomes a success the AFL will move to put their preferred opponents there instead leaving us shafted again.
I agree the AFL will probably dictate who we play but that won't necessarily leave us shafted.

Besides, who of the AFL's preferred opponents do you see forgoing a home game to play us in China?

Which will happen. This isn't the Dees selling games to the Gabba and Cairns.

Don't we have three years guaranteed? Once we've got a foothold, it would be hard to budge us.

Which will happen. This isn't the Dees selling games to the Gabba and Cairns.
The best we can hope for is a 5 year commitment from the AFL to have us play a game a year in Shanghai vs whatever team they choose. Ideally, a different team every year. Hopefully we manage to capture enough market during that period. We are never going to have full control of it, it's the AFL's competition after all.

Don't we have three years guaranteed? Once we've got a foothold, it would be hard to budge us.
I am not sure we have any guaranteed period of time. The vagueness of Kochie's comments and looks between him and KT at the AGM were a bit worrying.

AFL will probably want two of the smaller top teams to play it if it's a raging success eg a GWS vs Bulldogs.
I have posted elsewhere that I can't see the AFL getting the response they want when they go to Gui Guojie and tell him that he is now going to bankroll the team of the AFL's choosing in China.

Auld also said it was a JV between the AFL and Port that is paying for all of this. While we are investing in it, surely we'll be getting some say about when we play and against whom.
The Chinese are long term thinkers and build long term relationships. If the AFL want to think like short term pants wetting thinkers and shaft us, watch the Chinese pull back. Mr Gui wont be backing the AFL.

About 10 years ago I was told an interesting story that showed the mentality of the Chinese. A businessman had grown his retail stores from 1 to 11 over a decade or so. All were doing well except for the original store that was losing money. Someone asked him why don't you cut your losses and sell the store losing money. The businessman said he couldn't do that, because the original store was where he started his business and without that, he would not have the other 10 successful stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back