Roast The media....*Shakes Head* Part 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Send a complaint into ABC Media Watch segment.

Or lay it all out to Caro for her arrow incl Theo wearing a crow’s top while he emcees the post match. Andrew Jarman and his comments re Dom Casissi’s partner. She’s called out goons before then again she guest spots on 5aa so a good test for her

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Maybe it's an age thing but a footballer (even an ex-footballer) saying they want to 'hit someone so hard that they piss blood' is one of those things that you don't take literally. It may seem unsavoury to some, but in the context of footballer-speak, it wouldn't even raise an eye-brow from a player.

As has already been pointed out, Stupid was not alluding to Robbie's testicular cancer.

To say "make him piss blood" is a saying that has been around for ever and means to give someone a thorough and hard beating, one that results in an injury to the kidneys. So Stupid was simply calling for Robbie to be seriously injured by the Camry Crows' players.

He was not saying they should go outside the rules to do it although it is difficult to imagine how they could engineer such a significant injury within the rules. In Australian Rules Football that type of injury almost always results from an accidental collision.

agreed it had nothing to do with his cancer, also you don't piss blood if you have testicular cancer.

On the otherhand, that comment still makes him a sh*t person.

Is it too much to ask a sports commentator call a game for their entire listening audience in a grown up manner. That is what they are paid to do. Which Rowe would I prefer.? That one.

Whether Robbie wants an apology is not the point. The point is, he deserves one.

They do it in the States works well there. We follow them on a lot of things so yeah good idea but I’m probably dreaming.

Maybe it's an age thing but a footballer (even an ex-footballer) saying they want to 'hit someone so hard that they piss blood' is one of those things that you don't take literally. It may seem unsavoury to some, but in the context of footballer-speak, it wouldn't even raise an eye-brow from a player.

This board still fondly recalls that time Scott Salisbury was told that if he went near a young Gavin Wanganeen then he wouldn't leave the field alive.

They do it in the States works well there. We follow them on a lot of things so yeah good idea but I’m probably dreaming.

Exactly, it is one of the things that they tend to do really well there that we don't do here yet.

Get someone who hasn't played the game but has studied/trained/worked as a play-by-play announcer/journalist all their professional career to actually call the games impartially, and then get the former player to provide special comments/colour commentary. I can't think of a NFL broadcast where there isn't a professional play-by-play guy partnered with a former player to do special comments.

We have the play-by-play/colour commentary folded in to a single job, usually done by a former player who has moved into media after they stopped playing, with special comments from another former player who has moved into media after they stopped playing, and on the boundary a former player who has moved into media after they stopped playing. It's jobs for the boys here, regardless of talent.

I personally don't get offended by the statement but do get offended by the media hypocrisy in how we are treated in SA.

Compare Ryder/Trengove/SPP being tried and tested before any facts had come out, while meanwhile Bryce Gibbs has bikie debt collectors turning up to training and it's complete crickets because "mental health".

On the bright side we now have a great alternative in SEN to listen to (if commercial radio is your jam) which has gone a huge way towards addressing this imbalance (thanks Kane Cornes). So my care factor is happily decreasing.

This issue with S Rowe’s comments – I accept that there are two schools of thought about it on this board and I can see both views. I’m not outraged by what he said, but regardless of which team or player it was aimed at, I just think it’s very poor form.

There is a bit of double standards happening here to. There are a few who still think Andrew Jarman should have got the sack for his comments to Dom Cassisi. Agreed they were pretty unsavoury, especially on commercial radio. Were they any worse than Rowe’s comments?

The excuse that Rowie wears his heart on his sleeve, it was in the heat of the moment and he doesn’t really mean it, also reminds me a bit of the ‘Luke Hodge is a good bloke’ get out clause every time he did something questionable.

We all have commentators that annoy us for one reason or another, but can you really hear any of them making the same comments as Rowe?

He really is an atrocious commentator at any time. You could listen to some of the better, well respected commentators and not even be able to tell which team they followed. Clinton Grybas was so passionate about Collingwood he had their colours on his coffin at his funeral, but you wouldn’t know it listening to him call a game. Who did Dennis Cometti barrack for? I listened to him numerous times and could only guess. We already make allowances for Rowe’s bias when he calls a game, this is a bit more than that.

I also think we need to draw a line between things said by players on a football field and things said by someone who is being paid to call a game on commercial radio.

Anyway, I don’t think I’m being precious;), and I definitely don’t want to start a war over this, just my two cents worth.:)

Talk about hitting Robbie so he pisses blood and linking it to his health issues is like suggesting that someone give Taylor Walker a clip around the ears and linking it to his big ears.

Now importantly, did any one pick up who is making their AFL debut this week. Hint : apparently the next Eddie Betts? Again.

This issue with S Rowe’s comments – I accept that there are two schools of thought about it on this board and I can see both views. I’m not outraged by what he said, but regardless of which team or player it was aimed at, I just think it’s very poor form.

There is a bit of double standards happening here to. There are a few who still think Andrew Jarman should have got the sack for his comments to Dom Cassisi. Agreed they were pretty unsavoury, especially on commercial radio. Were they any worse than Rowe’s comments?

The excuse that Rowie wears his heart on his sleeve, it was in the heat of the moment and he doesn’t really mean it, also reminds me a bit of the ‘Luke Hodge is a good bloke’ get out clause every time he did something questionable.

We all have commentators that annoy us for one reason or another, but can you really hear any of them making the same comments as Rowe?

He really is an atrocious commentator at any time. You could listen to some of the better, well respected commentators and not even be able to tell which team they followed. Clinton Grybas was so passionate about Collingwood he had their colours on his coffin at his funeral, but you wouldn’t know it listening to him call a game. Who did Dennis Cometti barrack for? I listened to him numerous times and could only guess. We already make allowances for Rowe’s bias when he calls a game, this is a bit more than that.

I also think we need to draw a line between things said by players on a football field and things said by someone who is being paid to call a game on commercial radio.

Anyway, I don’t think I’m being precious;), and I definitely don’t want to start a war over this, just my two cents worth.:)
Your two cents are worth so much more. Excellent post.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He really is an atrocious commentator at any time. You could listen to some of the better, well respected commentators and not even be able to tell which team they followed. Clinton Grybas was so passionate about Collingwood he had their colours on his coffin at his funeral, but you wouldn’t know it listening to him call a game. Who did Dennis Cometti barrack for? I listened to him numerous times and could only guess. We already make allowances for Rowe’s bias when he calls a game, this is a bit more than that....
RIP Clinton Grybas. Still hasn't been replaced. A true trained professional not a moron footballler turned caller.

I don't even recall the pies colours on his coffin story, let alone that he ever said who he barracked for.

Were they any worse than Rowe’s comments?

Haha! Jarman's comments were absolutely worse than what Rowe said.

Jarman: "* her right in the guts" about a player's pregnant wife.
Rowe: "we need to hit him so hard he pisses blood" about a player who is running rings around his team.

Last edited:
I actually don't mind Rowe, he's more what you see is what you get. Sure he's no supporter of the PAFC but if anyone of us spoke live on the radio as much as he did we'd all say something that would upset someone eventually.

Dickley on the other hand is two-faced and about as trustworthy as a Pedo in a kindergarten.
Rowe is a closet racist of the "if you ain't Anglo, you don't glo" persuasion.

Love listening to Dwayne Russell being comfortable enough to wax lyrical about an amazing club with unparalleled success over a long period of time.

Pity that club can't ever be Port Adelaide, hey Dwayne?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back