Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnthedockers

Premiership Player
Aug 31, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
To be honest, while I disagree with him, Barlow raises some good points.
Not to be rude , but i would have thought blind freddy could see what he is saying. I feel like our first 5 games could dictate the season. If we can get some wins on the board and then get our top end players back it will make a big impact as far as confidence to the younger players. Mundy, wilson, pearce, hogan, hamling are massive outs for us.

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hull City
Not to be rude , but i would have thought blind freddy could see what he is saying. I feel like our first 5 games could dictate the season. If we can get some wins on the board and then get our top end players back it will make a big impact as far as confidence to the younger players. Mundy, wilson, pearce, hogan, hamling are massive outs for us.

I was worried about losing the first three games of the season even before our players started dropping like flies.

Given West Coast consistently win derbies when they're the better team, Geelong are a good team as well and North should be a tough beat in Tassie that could easily add up to a 1-6 start to the season (presuming we don't lose to Gold Coast again.)

We should have our sights higher then bottom-4 (let alone Wooden Spoon), but as a fan I'm not optimistic.

Carnthedockers

Premiership Player
Aug 31, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I was worried about losing the first three games of the season even before our players started dropping like flies.

Given West Coast consistently win derbies when they're the better team, Geelong are a good team as well and North should be a tough beat in Tassie that could easily add up to a 1-6 start to the season (presuming we don't lose to Gold Coast again.)

We should have our sights higher then bottom-4 (let alone Wooden Spoon), but as a fan I'm not optimistic.
Yep, agree with all of the above. Could easily see us 0-3

Aug 23, 2017
Grounded
AFL Club
Fremantle
IGiven West Coast consistently win derbies when they're the better team, Geelong are a good team as well and North should be a tough beat in Tassie that could easily add up to a 1-6 start to the season (presuming we don't lose to Gold Coast again.)

Seriously... I hope that you get your depression under control...I know it’s off season and emotions are like a seesaw... but gee get behind the team, rather than acting like anchor!

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Seriously... I hope that you get your depression under control...I know it’s off season and emotions are like a seesaw... but gee get behind the team, rather than acting like anchor!

The teams not going to fall to s**t just because I"m not confident going into the season.

This isn't Cuba. People are allowed to have and express opinions.

The teams not going to fall to s**t just because I"m not confident going into the season.

This isn't Cuba. People are allowed to have and express opinions.
This, and while I personally don’t see us going 1-6 to start of the season, I could see it happening as well. Essendon are a massive question mark, Hawks are expected by some to have a good year and who knows what Melbourne is going to do. Not to mention Norf rarely lose in Tassie and Geelong will probably remain a good side and of course we have the derby. It’s not that hard to see it being a possibility.

Sep 4, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
It's a bit of a puff piece and slightly disappointing from Barlow. Not sure if the article needs to go on about his 'glory years'. It has nothing to do with his views on us this year. Odd comment from Barlow about replacing Langdon and BHill. There's some question marks still but we've got some players that can go through the wings I feel.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is a knife edge kind of season. When young teams (which we are) are up and about then there will be some stirring victories. Likewise we'll be really disappointing at times.

So anything from 1-6 to 3-3 is likely imo.

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
This, and while I personally don’t see us going 1-6 to start of the season, I could see it happening as well. Essendon are a massive question mark, Hawks are expected by some to have a good year and who knows what Melbourne is going to do. Not to mention Norf rarely lose in Tassie and Geelong will probably remain a good side and of course we have the derby. It’s not that hard to see it being a possibility.

If I recall Essendon haven't dropped a R1 home game for a number of years.

It's a weird stat, and Essendon are probably the only team more ****ed with injury than us, but I'm not confident ******* with that stat regardless.

Feb 5, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
I tried listening to JLos podcast and I Just don't get it. I listened to Ross on a podcast last week and it was so good I listened to it twice.

It's going to a be a frustrating year seeing Ross in the media and watching JLO in our media conferences.

I could not imagine looking up to a coach that doesn't have a sense of humour. The guy just seems so vanilla to me.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
I tried listening to JLos podcast and I Just don't get it. I listened to Ross on a podcast last week and it was so good I listened to it twice.

It's going to a be a frustrating year seeing Ross in the media and watching JLO in our media conferences.

I could not imagine looking up to a coach that doesn't have a sense of humour. The guy just seems so vanilla to me.
I have no idea whether he can coach but he has zero charisma (like Alan Richardson). The sort of guy you would only want to listen to if you had a pre-existing reason and not because of anything he would say on its own merit. Contrast with Ross or Buckley who I could listen to talk about footy all day.

Then again, I don't think Clarko is particularly charismatic with the media (certainly better than JL so far) and he goes alright as a coach.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think there will development over the year for Longmuir in this area. I can’t remember how Ross started out at St Kilda but I remember Adam Simpson being quite awkward in his first season. He is new to the caper.

Despite the doom and gloom calls and everyone seems to jump onboard (because it is easy to do so - Group Mentality) I was expecting a challenging transitional year. Hopefully we finish the year off better than the past 3-4 seasons. Despite all the good Rosco had done over his time his methods had become quite stale and change was necessary.

A coaching mentor for 2021 (like John Worsfold or Don’t Pyke for e.g. not bloody Sumich) would also be a welcome addition. Also further refinements to the list will also help. Get some further experience into the 1st - 4th year players and an expectation to push for finals in 2021 and beyond.

Sorting out the medical stuff and the getting on top of injuries (incl. mental health) is a high priority for sustained success.

As for ladder positioning don’t get too consumed with that. We should still be winning 8 or more games.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Bell is enough of a silver tongue for the club. Longmuir is a coach ffs. Ross was a good speaker but he also talked a lot of glib shite.
Enjoying the fresh start and very, very happy that Ross the BS boss is almost behind us.
Bell isn't a silver tongue. He sounds like a generic corporate figurehead, which is totally fine since he is not required to do any more. I don't find him engaging beyond the Fremantle link.

If I recall Essendon haven't dropped a R1 home game for a number of years.

It's a weird stat, and Essendon are probably the only team more f’ed with injury than us, but I'm not confident ******* with that stat regardless.
Turns out last time they lost a r1 game which they were the home team (playing “away” in a Melbourne doesn’t count) was 1980 according to the article below. Admittedly they’ve only had 12 in that time (10 to 2016 when it was written and then 2017/18)

Yeti

Premiership Player
Feb 17, 2012
Newcastle
AFL Club
Fremantle

I don't think how a coach presents to the media is a reflection of how they go with the team. Ross has had years of dealing with the media, Longmuir has only had a few months, he will still be figuring it out and is probably playing it safe.

If he coaches us to wins as long as he isn't a blubbering mess like Harvey was i will be fine.

Sep 4, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle

Last year was super frustrating on field for a variety of reasons that I think Ross contributed to.

JLo could do all his press conferences after sucking in a balloon of helium if he likes if we are actually playing a more direct style of footy that encourages our players to back their strengths.

Paracleet

Emotion is not going to get the job done..
Jun 30, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
The reflex is to take one position or the other: But while Longmuirs apparent lack of charisma and as yet poor media work do not preclude him being an effective coach behind closed doors, it certainly doesn't mean he isn't going to be a poor one. I would say there is a definite correlation between apparent (i.e. on camera) leadership and communications abilities and actual ones. It wouldn't be one to one by any stretch, but that doesn't mean it's not there. People are right to be at least concerned.

Sep 4, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
The reflex is to take one position or the other: But while Longmuirs apparent lack of charisma and as yet poor media work do not preclude him being an effective coach behind closed doors, it certainly doesn't mean he isn't going to be a poor one. I would say there is a definite correlation between apparent (i.e. on camera) leadership and communications abilities and actual ones. It wouldn't be one to one by any stretch, but that doesn't mean it's not there. People are right to be at least concerned.

People have a right to be concerned or to feel how they like just as I have the right to question what relevance Ross' current media performances have to the coaching ability of our current coach.

Check out the charisma oozing from this bloke: https://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/...dal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1380857333001

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle
People have a right to be concerned or to feel how they like just as I have the right to question what relevance Ross' current media performances have to the coaching ability of our current coach.

You criticised Lyon for the way he handled the media and his media performance.
Why is Longmuir immune from the same criticism.
He has been in the AFL system for a long time.

Cesoir

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2019
Cairns
AFL Club
Fremantle

Check out the charisma oozing from this bloke: https://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/...dal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1380857333001
100% this. I was an unashamed admirer of Ross when he was our coach and was probably in the minority in feeling sad that he left.

However... Ross has been moved on, and the sooner we stop comparing the new coach to the old (both positively and negatively) the sooner we can enjoy the next phase of the Fremantle footy club's journey. I am 100% behind Justin, and happy to give him the same support I gave Ross. He is not as media savvy as Ross, so what - as raffrox said, being boring on camera never hurt Simpson, and as he has grown into the job his media has become more accomplished.

There's nothing worse than being with someone who talks constantly about their "ex", either bagging them out or telling you how wonderful they were. When it's over, it's over and I think once the real footy starts maybe we can start judging Justin based on his performance, not how he measures up to our "ex".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back