Mega Thread The Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Logan McDonald seems to be in good form - interesting that Zane Trew was best on ground. These guys will all rocket up the draft boards if they play a few games of senior WAFL footy and nobody in Victoria is kicking a ball at the same time

In the draft thread on WA he did well against DGB, Trew sounds like a ball magnet.

Geelong coach Chris Scott says split second nature of Ben Long bumps deserve empathy, but not leniency
Headshot of Mark Duffield

Mark DuffieldThe West Australian
Tuesday, 14 July 2020 10:45AM
Mark Duffield
Players who choose to bump were leaving themselves open to the consequences of that choice, Geelong coach Chris Scott has said.
But while Scott believes that players like Sr Kilda’s Ben Long should not get leniency at the tribunal, he does believe they are entitled to some empathy because of the split second nature of the decisions they make.
Speaking from Perth this morning, Scott said Jack Steven would return to Geelong’s team for Thursday night’s clash with Collingwood.
He didn’t rule Mitch Duncan (hamstring) out but didn’t seem confident he would come up in time to play.
He called for critics of the game as it is being played at the moment to “pick a side” – either the game was over-coached or coaches hadn’t been able to spend enough time with players because of the coronavirus shutdown.
And he urged empathy but not leniency for players like Long, who faces the tribunal tonight for the hit that left Fremantle ruckman Sean Darcy with concussion.
“It wasn’t that long ago, 15 years ago or somewhere the games supporters and coaches would have said that Long’s bump on Darcy was perfect technique but the game has moved on and society has moved on and now that is not. Because he ran past the ball,” he said.
“You can lay a technically perfect bump that even with head contact causes a head injury to the other player and you are liable.
“You bump at your own risk and the duty of care is on the player that chooses to bump.
If you choose not to go for the ball then you just open yourself up to the consequences.”
“When you explain it is quite clear. But in the split second out on the ground it is incredibly difficult and I think we should give – not some leniency with the penalty but some empathy for the situation that players find themselves in.
“It is a split second away from going really hard and injuring an opposition player and pulling out and copping the criticism – that is a hard decision to make in the moment.
“The game has never been harder to play.”
Scott said Geelong had settled well into their quarantine hub at Burswood and said realistically, they were going to have to stay out of Victoria for as long as it took to get the season played.
“If you look at the situation in Victoria and New South Wales and work through it logically it is hard to see how matches are going to be played in those states in the near future.
“I know it is okay in NSW at the moment,” he said.
“If the worst case scenario is that we have got to stay longer to keep the game alive and keep everyone involved in our industry going then we are more than happy to do it.”
He said the Cats were keeping their options open for now with Duncan.
“He is not ruled out but that doesn’t make him in either.
“We will know a little more after today. It was a minor issue and he has made significant progress but that is as optimistic as I would like to be.”
He did not buy into the furore that has erupted over the Richmond-Sydney game at the weekend but said.
“I think critics really need to pick a side on this one.
“Either the game is over-coached and the coaches have too much influence or the coaches haven’t had enough influence over the lock down period and there is not much team cohesion to plan as you normally would have.”
“I am not sure you can have that one both ways. I think the players will get better as the season goes on and they get more time with teammates.
“But I suspect the time with coaches will improve as well,” he said.
“I can think of teams from 10 to 20 years ago that absolutely closed down games and tried to limit the damage.
“I don’t think that happens too often now. I think everyone around the competition knows that you need to score to win. But it is easy to say we want to do that. It is much harder to execute it.”

Would it kill Fox's Power Rankings to acknowledge that maybe Freo lifted massively and exposed St Kilda? There's a bit more to it then the Saints just "stopping."

9. ST KILDA (3-3, 108%)

Previous rank:

We’re not sure if it was the bus ride down from Noosa or something else entirely, but the Saints just stopped against the Dockers, and it was a sad sight to behold after their electric start.

St Kilda could - and really, should - be 5-1 right now. They’ve now dropped games to the Kangaroos and Dockers after leading them by 31 and 37 points respectively.

And it’s not just the nature of the losses but it being those specific teams. It seems pretty clear neither North or Fremantle is a contender this year. The Saints could be, but dropping games to teams they should beat when they’re in such strong winning positions may prove costly.

The fixture’s only going to get harder from here. The Saints still need to play the teams sitting in the top four, plus West Coast and the South Australian and Queensland teams - probably all way from Victoria, where they’ve struggled for years.

Lucky Gaskin "feels nothing" when we're dissed by the Vics. I on the other hand got red (and white and black) spots before my eyes at the AFL headline "Long pays hefty price for bump gone wrong". LONG pays a hefty price? What about Sean Darcy and Freo???!!!!!

Maybe I have to look on the bright side. If he played (plays?) this week only to get shafted by Nic Nat's Knee, where'd the media sympathy be then - would it read "Luckless young ruckman...etc. etc".

I'm going off now to have a fully-fledged tantrum.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lucky Gaskin "feels nothing" when we're dissed by the Vics. I on the other hand got red (and white and black) spots before my eyes at the AFL headline "Long pays hefty price for bump gone wrong". LONG pays a hefty price? What about Sean Darcy and Freo???!!!!!

Maybe I have to look on the bright side. If he played (plays?) this week only to get shafted by Nic Nat's Knee, where'd the media sympathy be then - would it read "Luckless young ruckman...etc. etc".

I'm going off now to have a fully-fledged tantrum.

I agree was astounded when I went on the site, read that headline and then opened the article to find out that he only got 3 weeks. That was the bare minimum he should've got imo.

was also surprised how little outrage there was on here too.

I agree was astounded when I went on the site, read that headline and then opened the article to find out that he only got 3 weeks. That was the bare minimum he should've got imo.

was also surprised how little outrage there was on here too.
There was outrage, it just took the form of "I can't believe Darcy ran into Long like that"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back