Mega Thread The Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I pray we start winning again. Nothing will be more satisfying than listening to Hackdorn and Hardie squirming while unwillingly giving us compliments and trying to hide their contempt for Lyon.

Please Jesse come back and kick 50 goals , that would give Hackdorn and Hardy the smack in the chops they need

Need Ballas in next year as media liaison for Freo. Then we'll have Hardly crying into his tea and crumpet.

We need more headlines like this latest one as the top story on AFL.com.au atm:

Sliding Doors is back: IF you hate reading this ...

So incredibly helpful. I was about to click the link but then remembered I hated reading Sliding Doors so I didn't click it - a few minutes of my life saved thanks to a well worded headline.

If the Perth footy journos would add similar warnings in their headlines I would greatly appreciate it - thanks in advance!

Well it turns on the facts. If the term clinical came from a clinician in the context of a diagnosis consistent with the framework agreed by the profession then there is no issue.

If someone at the club or in a media role decided to use the term of their own volition then that would be a significantly misleading action, worthy of a pretty hefty sanction. Certainly something a lot more than going back and crossing the word out.[/QUOTE

So, a lay person is trying to convey that Jesse's anxiety is not the anxiety of everyday life that is a normal part of life. A couple of precious psychologists take umbrage because the football manager is not using DSM nomenclature. I don't think it's very far-fetched to think a young man who has had potentially life threatening health problems, soon after losing his father and working in an incredibly performance based industry would have anxiety that conforms to a DSM classification. And it would be highly improper of his employer to divulge specific details of his health problems.
I think it was probably some very immature psychologists who weren't able to see the bigger picture here. And they were probably "clinical" psychologists.
There is no bar that is too low for "the West."
I think Peter Bell did fine.

So, a lay person is trying to convey that Jesse's anxiety is not the anxiety of everyday life that is a normal part of life. A couple of precious psychologists take umbrage because the football manager is not using DSM nomenclature. I don't think it's very far-fetched to think a young man who has had potentially life threatening health problems, soon after losing his father and working in an incredibly performance based industry would have anxiety that conforms to a DSM classification. And it would be highly improper of his employer to divulge specific details of his health problems.
I think it was probably some very immature psychologists who weren't able to see the bigger picture here. And they were probably "clinical" psychologists.

Knowing Psychs and how precious they are on their terminology, I'm sure this is exactly the case. Further muddied by a Psychiatrist being the person who makes a clinical anxiety declaration. Almost every "normal" person knew exactly what was meant.

The media sucks in general but there are some that tend to write about us favourably. Most are parasitic in their endeavour and click bait head lines are paramount to their survival. Simply put " Don't read it". I stopped paying for the paper 10 years ago and don't regret it for one second. I would never sign up for a digital subscription either as most content can be found for free.

Thats all fine if the word they had used was not "clinical."

"Clinical" means that we are talking about something in the context of a formal medical setting with all the rules and guidelines that apply. It is not a general dictionary word like Pervasive, Persistent, Serious, Worrying etc.

"So, a lay person is trying to convey that Jesse's anxiety is not the anxiety of everyday life that is a normal part of life." A "lay person trying to convey" is literally the opposite of "clinical." The term clinical in this context literally has no other meaning than to convey that it is from a formal medical setting (a clinic - clue is in the name) and NOT from a lay person.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Clinical" means that we are talking about something in the context of a formal medical setting with all the rules and guidelines that apply. It is not a general dictionary word like Pervasive, Persistent, Serious, Worrying etc.

"So, a lay person is trying to convey that Jesse's anxiety is not the anxiety of everyday life that is a normal part of life." A "lay person trying to convey" is literally the opposite of "clinical." The term clinical in this context literally has no other meaning than to convey that it is from a formal medical setting (a clinic - clue is in the name) and NOT from a lay person.
All that is good and well but the fact it is a term often misused by a lay person was kind of conveniently lost in the criticism. Peter Bell is not the first person to incorrectly use the term "clinical anxiety" and he won't be the last.

When you search for clinical anxiety in https://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Clinical+anxiety it doesn't say "Sorry, there is no such thing", it redirects you to "Anxiety Disorder" and then says it relates (so I think it is fair that a lay person would assume it is another phrase used to mean the same thing - which is what plenty do, including legitimate articles/publications that should know better - just search Google to find them).

anxiety disorder
(redirected from Clinical anxiety)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus.
Related to Clinical anxiety: Anxiety disorders

Jesse battling mental health issues when at Melbourne (hence having to take a break) was also conveniently left out of critical articles. Those that think he is just using it as an excuse are clueless. I very much doubt it has mysteriously gone away since coming home to WA - he has had a long list of challenges that would put him in the highest risk category for having a mental health disorder. Clearly the critics haven't suffered themselves because males find it incredibly hard to admit they are suffering anxiety. I assure you most would much prefer to say "I went overboard on the drinking the other night" than "I'm suffering a with my anxiety atm". He still would have not been playing round 1 either way - the logical conclusion is he's reached out for some support.

Yep, so you can either be clinically dead or just dead, take your pick.

Malthouse laying the boots into Fyfe and Whateley laying the boots into the club for Jesse,s treatment. WC gets smashed and the local press divert attention to Freo, Amazing how it always happens

Can’t say I disagree with Malthouses comments tbh although the kicking but is slightly overstated. Shouldn’t be as much as a problem with Neale gone who’s even worse defensively. Our recruiting midfield wise has backed up the fact the club might see it as a problem. Brayshaw, Cerra, Banfield and Conca are all great defensively. For the last two it’s probably a large reason why they’re at the club and for the first two may have been a the difference between them and what the club saw as the next best option. The ball went from forward and/or stoppages to the oppositions fifty far too easily last year imo and it’s something the club needs to (and is starting the process to) address before we climb back up the ladder significantly.

Whateley’s comments are like you disregarding someone’s opinion if they wrote “there” instead of “their”. I read it as “Jesse has an anxiety disorder/issue but we don’t wish to tell everyone which one”. The fact we used a slightly incorrect term doesn’t matter - it fooled the media long enough that they aren’t going to ask which one Jesse has which was probably our aim - could’ve been done better though but oh well.

Wow. A quick look at the West site. The morning after the Eagles get thrashed they are leading with Malthouse teeing off on Freo & Fyfe. Eagles story buried & starts out with a paragraph of excuses & why it’s nothing to worry about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Nice to see Simpson blaming the humid weather and then they have a go a Ross for talking about 6 day breaks after playing in 40c

You can’t *en win

Last edited:
[COLOR=var(--emphasis-color)]The second language of the AFL is lying': Brad Hardie fires back at critics

[COLOR=var(--emphasis-color)]STAFF WRITERS[/COLOR] MARCH 24, 2019[/COLOR]

The war of words between sports broadcaster Brad Hardie and Fremantle Football Club player Hayden Ballantyne has continued, with Hardie appealing to Freo fans “not to shoot the messenger”.
Small forward Ballantyne accused Hardie of fabricating a story about a club-wide drinking ban at the Dockers, after [COLOR=var(--link-hover-color)]star recruit Jesse Hogan was suspended from playing round one with the club due to “poor alcohol decisions”[/COLOR].
[COLOR=var(--figure-color)]
Hayden Ballantyne has been in and out of the side.Credit:AAP​
[/COLOR]
“It's a complete fabrication, I don't know where Brad Hardie gets all of this absolute garbage from but he has to have a good look at himself I think,” Ballantyne told[COLOR=var(--emphasis-color)] Racing Radio[/COLOR] earlier this week.
“He's having a crack at players and all sorts of sports people around Australia where it's just absolute garbage. I think he has to have a good look at himself and [some of the] - I can't say what I want to say - but some of the garbage that he puts out in these forums.”
Ballantyne said the club's alcohol policy meant no drinking on short turnarounds, and no drinking when injured.
He characterised it as a standard policy in professional football.
Hardie returned fire on Radio 6PR on Sunday and said Ballantyne’s comments likely stemmed from his club.
“That was scripted as far as I was concerned. That was Fremantle Dockers speech - you know, fabrication, all that sort of stuff,” he said.
“It's never been about attacking Jesse Hogan as a person either. It's about the way that this club is run and unfortunately they've started on the back-foot ... ever since all we've tried to do, now whether they feel it's that way or not, is try and help them get in the right direction.
“They've been playing catch-up footy and they're going into their 25th year or thereabouts and we're still talking about the same problems they had in year one.”
Hardie also criticised Ballantyne himself, and made comments about the relationship between the player and coach Ross Lyon.
[COLOR=var(--link-hover-color)]
2704828eee147e8daf56e06e7884addd8c2de862
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=var(--figure-color)]
Brad Hardie has fired back at his critics.Credit:Trevor Collens​
[/COLOR]
“Is this the same bloke who runs around and pretends to be a footballer for Fremantle?” he said.
“A cardboard cut out would give more output than him. Is this the same person who at the end of 2016 wanted to get out of the Fremantle Football Club and was almost in tears begging for someone to get him to the West Coast Eagles? And fortunately they rejected the overture?
“Is this the same guy that every time Ross Lyon farts his head pops out? Is this the guy [that if] you want on a trip to the back of his mind it's not a long journey? I can assure you of that.
“I'll leave it at this ... if I ever have to take advice from him please, bring the covers out and shoot me.
“I think it's high time that a few of the Fremantle supporters and a few others got a chance to have a say in how this club is run because right at the moment, it's not being run well.
“I like helping educate the public because too often there's too much AFL-speak. The second language of the AFL is lying. I think people should be made aware of that.
“Don't shoot the messenger, we're just trying to relay to you exactly what is going on and it's up to people to decide for themselves if they want to believe them or us.”
Fremantle are due to play North Melbourne at Domain Stadium at 3.20pm on Sunday.

Last edited:
Mick Malthouse bagging Fyfe for a lack of defensive game? How much of a defensive game did Dane Swan have? Malthouse is a delusional old prick that set back Carlton five years (his one worthwhile achievement).

Oh and the cultures at West Coast, Collingwood and Carlton during his tenures have had far reaching consequences for some of his former players. Absolute hypocrite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back