Mega Thread The Media Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadEyeEmmy

Club Legend
Sep 13, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Out of Bounds was good! I guess hard for him to do it now he’s no longer playing AFL.

Not sure who in our current lineup would make a good podcast host. Maybe Alex Pearce?

Retzlaff

Club Legend
Jun 8, 2006
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ok so I listened to that Backchat podcast that the Eagles players do (only because I wanted to hear what Will Schofield said about meeting Freo Dokers) and I was pretty amazed how freely the players were speaking. I think it had Hamish Brayshaw on there as well and someone else.

Why don’t the Freo boys do a podcast? Lazy sods.

Enough of this “credit to the boys” “bank the four points” “just playing my role” shiz!
That’s Daddy Doker

Farrand

Premiership Player
Sep 20, 2003
England
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Side Hawkwing
Think my meltdown with BT actually worked. Sent them an email complaining about life, the universe and everything and I check the guide today and they are showing the Freo game tomorrow. Of course, it seems to be at the expense of a Saturday game (can't remember which they were going to televise) but what you going to do?

Midnite65

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Philadelpia 76'ers
So once agin the Perth Now website posts Twitter messages about our lack of scoring and our "snore fest" yet where were the Twitter messages published last night when the Eagles score 3 goals in a half at home with 2 of those in 2 minutes. The "one eyed" state of the media in this state is beyond a joke, we can only hope that in a few years the West and Sunday Times will be long gone as newspapers die an inevitable death.

Caldera

All Australian
Nov 16, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
So once agin the Perth Now website posts Twitter messages about our lack of scoring and our "snore fest" yet where were the Twitter messages published last night when the Eagles score 3 goals in a half at home with 2 of those in 2 minutes. The "one eyed" state of the media in this state is beyond a joke, we can only hope that in a few years the West and Sunday Times will be long gone as newspapers die an inevitable death.

I clicked on the link. I'm bitterly disappointed in my lack of discipline.

Sep 4, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle

What were you expecting medua wise from todays game?

It was diabolically bad as a representation of even decent scoring footy let alone high scoring footy.

The Eagles finished with 80 points. Freo and the Crows scored a total of 84 points combined.

By the way, both teams today were the cause of that 'spectacle'. It deserves to be questioned.

Sep 2, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NUFC , Pistons , Lions
They are still capable of playing a major part in this season, the Crows. Something we can't say about the Dockers, who disappoint and revert to unsuccessful, negative ways every time they seem poised to re-emerge.

Not sure why i clicked on a Barrett article but boy he makes me angry. CROWS SCORED TWO MORE GOALS THAN US and were just as guilty in contributing to the negative game.... flog

Midnite65

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Philadelpia 76'ers
Not sure why i clicked on a Barrett article but boy he makes me angry. CROWS SCORED TWO MORE GOALS THAN US and were just as guilty in contributing to the negative game.... flog
Hackdorn is exactly the same, apparently we were just in "avoiding blowout mode", Basil said maybe we were tyring to just keep it close so we could have a chance in the last quarter but Hackdorn says no, nothing about Pyke contributing largely to the negative, defensive modest with the pressure he is under with his team a big pre-season fancy.

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle

Unfortunately we have recent history in not being able to kick winning scores, most of the media flogs don't watch us enough to see this year has mostly been different.

Sep 4, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Unfortunately we have recent history in not being able to kick winning scores, most of the media flogs don't watch us enough to see this year has mostly been different.

It has been mostly different and there has been progress. No doubt.

Is anyone debating though that we could have made a choice to take the game on more before we got behind?

We clearly tried to spread more from the contest when we got a couple of goals down. If we are developing a multi-pronged forward line then why not back them in more before they are bereft of confidence in the 4th quarter after getting crap service?

The media coverage won't change until we earn respect again unfortunately.

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
I don't know how hard it is to just not have commentators call games of the teams they used to play for. Would make it so much easier. I agree that they should know not to be biased, but deep down you'll always have a soft spot for the team who's colours you wore and there's no stopping that.

PurpleEyes

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
For years the media has invested in their narrative that Ross Lyon plays a low scoring defensive game plan and it's ugly to watch.
The majority of the WA public, especially the Slime supporters, love reading any negative press about Freo.
Sadly I have Slime supporter mates and they continually want to tell me how Lyon is under pressure and Freo have a culture problem ... every time Freo loses ... happened again this morning ... but they are silent when we win.

Anyways, the facts are, after 7 rounds in 2019, during the 4th quarter of every game so far, Freo have been a chance to win. The derby was probably our worst defeat and even in that game it felt like we had a sniff half way through the 4th quarter when we got within 13points. Meanwhile, last year's premiers have had 3 games where they were gone before the 4th quarter even started.
I enjoy seeing Freo win. If we don't win, I enjoy watching a game where we had a chance of winning ... ie. we were competitive. And I enjoy thinking that Freo are on the improve. Whether we kick 5 goals or 15 is of far less importance to me and the media isn't going to convince me otherwise.

LeftFootBanana

All Australian
Aug 7, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
I feel like I'm going insane, watching the game yesterday I thought we were the more attacking of the two teams. It was the Crows who clogging up space and scragging at every contest.

You have to understand we aren't dealing with deep thinkers. The current thinking is that Ross doesn't attack (notwithstanding our better scoring efforts in 2019) therefore any low scoring is down to Ross.

There aren't many in the AFL media who do anything more than parrot whatever all the other galahs are saying. Gerard Healy is sometimes good and Mark Duffield actually does some analysis. This is why most coaches hold the media in contempt and it's hard to blame them.

PurpleEyes

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
I feel like I'm going insane, watching the game yesterday I thought we were the more attacking of the two teams. It was the Crows who clogging up space and scragging at every contest.

Yep, Adelaide have been a very good defensive team in 2019.

If you look at the 2019 Home and Away Ladder so far and sort it by the points against, you find that Freo have so far played 5 of the top 8 most defensive teams in the comp (Freo is 2nd most defensive). Gold Coast and Norths are the only two that we have played that haven't been defensively very good so far this year. (& NB, I also checked that Freo's games aren't distorting those numbers by taking Freo's results out of the ladder stats and the ladder sorted by points against still looks relatively the same).

summerthebat

Premiership Player
Apr 8, 2007
Teenage Mountain
AFL Club
Fremantle
Terry Wallace smugly tweeted that the AFL has acknowledged (as if we should all be aware that they did) that the Eddie Betts htb decision was incorrect. Then when asked to provide details on that, he just said that he'd heard it on SEN.

Aug 6, 2018
Karratha or Windsor Hotel
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Perth
Darcy had a laugh when accused of being a biased commentator in a Talking footy segment but didn't disagree

Darce' its not that funny when you are barracking against us!

Just glad we flogged the Dogs

Waiting to see if you feature yourself in say that again for Colyers defensive effort last week

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Terry Wallace smugly tweeted that the AFL has acknowledged (as if we should all be aware that they did) that the Eddie Betts htb decision was incorrect. Then when asked to provide details on that, he just said that he'd heard it on SEN.
I managed to catch a snippet of Wallace speaking on SEN yesterday and it turns out his son was one of the officiating umpires, the one who actually paid the 50m penalty against Sunny Hill. He was trying to claim that Hill threw a sizeable clump of turf, roots soil and all, in the incident, when clearly it was 95% grass about the half the size of a matchbox.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back