Mega Thread The Media Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Enough of you lot bashing the WA media and Seven West in particular...

They managed to beat out (umm.... nobody else) to win best AFL coverage in WA!

Congratulations to all involved! It's not whether you are better than anyone but that you monopolise the market so you can say you're the best that matters.

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hull City

Congratulations to all involved! It's not whether you are better than anyone but that you monopolise the market so you can say you're the best that matters.

Saying they have a monopoly is offensive to the other great award winners, like Kim Hagdorn.

Apr 14, 2018
Just up the street
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC
Peter Sumich says Fremantle Dockers focused enough on skills during Ross Lyon era

Former Fremantle assistant Peter Sumich has defended former mentor Ross Lyon, believing the sacked Dockers coach incorporated enough skill work into the club’s training sessions.
Lyon, who was axed this year after eight seasons at the helm of the Dockers, was criticised for the club’s poor skills throughout the season and since the appointment of Justin Longmuir as coach, much of the talk coming out of the club has been on their change of direction on the track.
This includes more skill drills instead of the heavy structure focus which Lyon built his mantra around.
Sumich, who worked under Lyon as a senior development coach/assistant coach from 2011 to 2017, said the Dockers had always done enough skills work to meet the AFL standard.
AFL DRAFT HUB: See profiles and highlights for WA’s 20 top contenders and read the latest draft news
“I understand what Fremantle are trying to say there, but at the end of the day Fremantle were kicking the footy, handballing, marking and doing skills throughout Ross’s tenure there,” Sumich told 6PR.
“Ross did have a skills program incorporated with his match style. There was plenty of skills going around back in Ross’s day as well.
“You can then focus on some craft, which is a separate identity and individual stuff, where Ross did a little bit of that, but probably not as much as Fremantle are trying to do now.
“At the end of the day, you know how to kick and you know how to handball, it really comes down to pressure and the moment.”
Longmuir, who has had assistant coaching stints at West Coast and Collingwood, said skill was a priority when he was appointed last month.
“The two clubs I’ve worked at as a coach have had a really strong skill focus and we will tip a lot of time into developing our skills,” he said.
Fremantle youngster Adam Cerra told the media earlier this month that there had been a shift in focus towards skill drills.
“There has definitely been a big change. A lot of changes to our structure and how we are training and what we are doing,” he said.
Sumich said the change in skill level from one generation to the next started way earlier than when a player was drafted.
“Back in the day as young kids you grew up kicking the footy a lot and these kids don’t throughout their school tenure,” he said.
“That is probably the issue we are seeing at the moment and they’re trying to catch up.”
Sumich believes his former club, West Coast, may have made a mistake by letting Mark LeCras join the Dockers as a skills coach.
“I reckon West Coast should have made a play for him,” he said.

Fred Ziffel

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2011
Cockburn W.A
AFL Club
Fremantle
Is CC currently employed in the industry? Since being implicated in the tanking saga he's dropped off the radar.

I doubt it but if his nephew is drafted by us I can easily see him being sought out for a comment.
Of course the same thing is likely to happen upon Lachie debuting.

Come to think of it, the club could do worse than have him on the payroll in some capacity in Victoria, if only to promote Victorian memberships. Anything that increases our profile in Victoria is welcome.

332docker

Club Legend
Apr 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Western Force
Anyone know about a bloke called Jason Hamling? sport FM JL did an interview with Hughes today and i think and he mentioned him - i hadn't heard of him on our list before.

Just shows how much effort the media go into knowing the players on freo's list...

Daddoo

Master Chef
Oct 31, 2015
Chicago
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers Milwaukee Brewers

Wellllll, Not to toot my own horn but I am the smartest, most handsome husband my wife has! Yea. Go me!!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Daddoo

Master Chef
Oct 31, 2015
Chicago
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers Milwaukee Brewers
Peter Sumich says Fremantle Dockers focused enough on skills during Ross Lyon era

Former Fremantle assistant Peter Sumich has defended former mentor Ross Lyon, believing the sacked Dockers coach incorporated enough skill work into the club’s training sessions.
Lyon, who was axed this year after eight seasons at the helm of the Dockers, was criticised for the club’s poor skills throughout the season and since the appointment of Justin Longmuir as coach, much of the talk coming out of the club has been on their change of direction on the track.
This includes more skill drills instead of the heavy structure focus which Lyon built his mantra around.
Sumich, who worked under Lyon as a senior development coach/assistant coach from 2011 to 2017, said the Dockers had always done enough skills work to meet the AFL standard.
AFL DRAFT HUB: See profiles and highlights for WA’s 20 top contenders and read the latest draft news
“I understand what Fremantle are trying to say there, but at the end of the day Fremantle were kicking the footy, handballing, marking and doing skills throughout Ross’s tenure there,” Sumich told 6PR.
“Ross did have a skills program incorporated with his match style. There was plenty of skills going around back in Ross’s day as well.
“You can then focus on some craft, which is a separate identity and individual stuff, where Ross did a little bit of that, but probably not as much as Fremantle are trying to do now.
“At the end of the day, you know how to kick and you know how to handball, it really comes down to pressure and the moment.”
Longmuir, who has had assistant coaching stints at West Coast and Collingwood, said skill was a priority when he was appointed last month.
“The two clubs I’ve worked at as a coach have had a really strong skill focus and we will tip a lot of time into developing our skills,” he said.
Fremantle youngster Adam Cerra told the media earlier this month that there had been a shift in focus towards skill drills.
“There has definitely been a big change. A lot of changes to our structure and how we are training and what we are doing,” he said.
Sumich said the change in skill level from one generation to the next started way earlier than when a player was drafted.
“Back in the day as young kids you grew up kicking the footy a lot and these kids don’t throughout their school tenure,” he said.
“That is probably the issue we are seeing at the moment and they’re trying to catch up.”
Sumich believes his former club, West Coast, may have made a mistake by letting Mark LeCras join the Dockers as a skills coach.
“I reckon West Coast should have made a play for him,” he said.

Thank you Peter for confirming my belief that we hired the right guy as our coach....

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:

Sully90

Premiership Player
Dec 24, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal

I know it's nitpicky but I really can't get over the line:

"He was discharged a short time later after failing to suffer any serious injuries in the crash."

Jul 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

I know it's nitpicky but I really can't get over the line:

"He was discharged a short time later after failing to suffer any serious injuries in the crash."
The West Coast Australian.

Schadenfreude.

Anyone got the article text for this?

When you least expect it, expect it.
It had been expected that Adelaide’s pick six would shape the draft as the Crows weighed up two players. But the Swans beat the Crows to the punch one pick earlier.
The 2019 AFL national draft was tipped on its head by Sydney’s decision to take South Australian Dylan Stephens on Wednesday. If Sydney played the role of path changers in this draft, Carlton played the role of the draft’s great disrupter.

And when we look for the big surprises in this first round, they both involve WA boys.
Mitch Georgiades, who missed all this year recovering from a serious quadriceps injury, was taken by Port Adelaide at pick 18.
And the standout performer at this year’s under-18 championships, WA captain Deven Robertson, wasn’t taken at all. A nervous Robertson had barely eaten or slept for days.
He faces one more hungry and sleepless night now.
WA got the three first round players we expected. It just wasn’t the three we expected.
AFL DRAFT: WHO IMPRESSED AND WHO DIDN’T
INTEL HELPS DOCKERS SET UP FUTURE WITH DRAFT HAUL

For Adelaide and Fremantle, Sydney taking Stephens made their minds up for them.
The Crows had been tossing up between Stephens and Fischer McAsey and had even been linked pre-draft in speculation to a pick swap with Carlton to drop to pick nine.
That trade got shelved and the Crows took McAsey. For Fremantle the only question was whether the casualty from Sydney’s decision — Sam Flanders — would change their thinking at picks seven and eight.
They had been linked to Victoria Country pair Hayden Young and Caleb Serong and it was thought the only player likely to sway them would be Stephens if available.
Caleb Serong with Fremantle coach Justin Longmuir.
Caleb Serong with Fremantle coach Justin Longmuir. Credit: AFL Photos
Flanders would have forced some quick thinking. The powerful midfielder kicked four goals in a quarter in a NAB Cup final this season opposed to the draft’s two top picks Matthew Rowell and Noah Anderson.
The Dockers stayed with Young, arguably the best kick in this draft, and Serong who rates as one of the draft’s best inside mids. Flanders slid further in the order.
Enter Carlton. They immediately bid on Fremantle NGA prospect Liam Henry with pick nine, forcing down the order trading from the Dockers for points to try and keep them in next year’s first round of the draft.
As it is, they will still carry a small points deficit. But the Dockers matched the bid and walked away effectively with picks seven, eight and nine.
The proof will be in the pudding years from now but that is a handy draft hand and justified the club’s decision to trade from 10 to eight to get ahead of Carlton in the draft order.
Liam Henry was taken with pick No.9 by the Dockers.
Liam Henry was taken with pick No.9 by the Dockers. Credit: AFL Photos
There was a bit to like about the way the Dockers have gone.
Young is a left footer, a great interceptor and a magnificent kick.
He was the player linked to pick three before the rapid rise of WA ruckman Luke Jackson who was taken there by Melbourne.
Serong can play as an inside or outside midfielder, does not flinch in the clinches and has great poise and polish. He was the player fancied for pick three mid-season, before Young.
Henry adds pace, skill and flair. He had worked with the Dockers all year and while the Carlton bid was earlier than Fremantle would have liked, they were always going to match any bid after pick eight.
The Blues weren’t finished by a long shot. They then bid for Greater Western Sydney prospect Tom Green and, when that bid was matched, the Blues then traded further down the order, paving the way for Gold Coast to trade up and take Flanders. If Flanders slid a little bit, the big slider was Robertson, touted as a possible top-10 pick and a target for Fremantle, but left at the altar like Ian Hill was on the first draft night last year.
It will be interesting to see what clubs are prepared to do in trade talks overnight to get up the order to get near Robertson. Port have the first pick on Thursday and no doubt will take a few phone calls.
Robertson may have work to do on his kicking but there is no stronger character or better leader in this draft.
Watch this space.
If Fremantle was A winner on Wednesday night, Gold Coast was THE winner. The Suns knew they were going to get Rowell and Anderson, but having Flanders fall in their laps was a bonus.

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
Just heard Sumich on the radio. There must have been a concern about his messaging as a prospective coach with the stuff he says.

Like his bizarre rationale for recommending that local teams use their later picks on WA talent was that

"if they don't work out, at least you know they don't wanna go home"

Apr 14, 2018
Just up the street
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC
YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS
FREO LAND THEIR DREAM DRAFT TRIFECTA
BRADEN QUARTERMAINE

Fremantle emerged from last night’s national draft with the three gun youngsters they were eyeing off, but had to sacrifice their second-round pick next year to secure Liam Henry after Carlton played draft Grinch by making early bids on two academy players. The Dockers took Victoria Country teammates Hayden Young and Caleb Serong with picks seven and eight, before doing a pick swap deal with Port Adelaide to generate more draft value index points to help pay for Henry after the Blues bid for the gifted forward with selection nine. Fremantle football manager Peter Bell declared all three players could make their debuts early next season. The Dockers gave a future second-round selection and pick 66 to the Power in return for picks 52 and 55, helping them reduce the points deficit they will carry into next year. Fremantle still owe about 250 points for matching the Henry bid and their firstround choice next year will drop back to make it up. “We wanted to preserve our first-round pick next year as much as we possibly could and we were able to swing that plan into action with Port Adelaide pretty quickly,” Bell said. Three West Australians were taken in the first round. Ruckman Luke Jackson went to Melbourne at No.3 as predicted, Henry to the Dockers and bolter Mitch Georgiades to Port Adelaide with pick 18 despite missing his entire draft year with injury. WA under-18 captain and Larke medallist Deven Robertson , invited to Marvel Stadium as a potential top-10 selection, was overlooked and is set to be one of the most sought after players today. Fremantle are admirers of Robertson but are not allowed to use next year’s first-round choice in a pick swap deal to move up to get him today because that pick now has a points deficit attached to it. The Dockers are set to take one more player at the tail-end of the draft today, while West Coast are due to enter at pick 47. The Eagles did not rule out a stunning swoop for Robertson, the nephew of list manager Darren Glass, but they are severely restricted in the selection swap deals they could pull off having given up next year’s first-round pick in the Tim Kelly mega deal. Henry’s father Lewis Sr cried as his son officially became an AFL player. The Dockers emerged from last night’s first round of the draft with a trio of players taken at seven, eight and nine — the first time they have had three first-round selections since they snapped up Paul Hasleby (pick two), Matthew Pavlich (four) and Leigh Brown (five) in 1999. Bell said he was thrilled with the additions of dashing defender Young, midfielder Serong and forward Henry. “It was nice to bring in two players also that are good mates in Caleb and Hayden,” Bell said. “I think Fremantle fans would be really thrilled with the boys’ attributes and their character as well. “Hayden’s an exceptional kick. I think most recruiting departments had him as the best kick in the draft. “He’s 189cm and a really good intercept mark as well. “Caleb’s an inside midfielder in time, but he might be able to play as a small forward pretty soon I think. “He’s got elite hands.” Fox Footy analyst David King labelled Henry his favourite player in the draft. “He’s got the speed, he can dance, he can move, he’s creative ,” King said. “He wants to be a star this kid and he’s going to have some role models at Fremantle that he can attach to straight away. I’ve got no doubt that even at pick nine, he’ll be seen as a steal.”

Apr 14, 2018
Just up the street
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC
Dockers Nail Round One As Suns Hit Pay Dirt

MARK DUFFIELD

When you least expect it, expect it. It had been expected that Adelaide’s pick No.6 would shape the draft as the Crows weighed up two players. But the Swans beat the Crows to the punch one selection earlier. The 2019 AFL national draft was tipped on its head by Sydney’s decision to take South Australian Dylan Stephens yesterday. If Sydney played the role of path changers in this draft, Carlton played the role of the draft’s great disrupter. And when we look for the big surprises in this first round, they both involve WA boys. Mitch Georgiades, who missed all this year recovering from a serious quadriceps injury, was taken by Port Adelaide at pick 18. And the standout performer at this year’s under-18 championships, WA captain Deven Robertson, wasn’t taken at all. A nervous Robertson had barely eaten or slept for days. He faces one more hungry and sleepless night now. WA got the three first-round players we expected. It just wasn’t the three we expected. For Adelaide and Fremantle, Sydney taking Stephens made their minds up for them. The Crows had been tossing up between Stephens and Fischer McAsey and had even been linked in pre-draft speculation to a pick swap with Carlton to drop to selection No.9. That trade got shelved and the Crows took McAsey. For Fremantle, the only question was whether the casualty from Sydney’s decision — Sam Flanders — would change their thinking at picks seven and eight. They had been linked to Victoria Country pair Hayden Young and Caleb Serong and it was thought the only player likely to sway them would be Stephens, if available. Flanders would have forced some quick thinking. The powerful midfielder kicked four goals in a quarter in a NAB Cup final this season opposed to the draft’s two top picks, Matthew Rowell and Noah Anderson. The Dockers stayed with Young, arguably the best kick in this draft, and Serong, who rates as one of the draft’s best inside mids. Flanders slid further in the order. Enter Carlton. They immediately bid on Fremantle NGA prospect Liam Henry with pick No.9, forcing down the order trading from the Dockers for points to try and keep them in next year’s first round of the draft. As it is, they will still carry a small points deficit. But Fremantle matched the bid and walked away effectively with picks seven, eight and nine. The proof will be in the pudding years from now, but that is a handy draft hand and justified the club’s decision to trade from 10 to eight to get ahead of Carlton in the draft order. There was a bit to like about the way the Dockers have gone. Young is a left-footer , a great interceptor and a magnificent kick. He was the player linked to selection three before the rapid rise of WA ruckman Luke Jackson, who was taken there by Melbourne. Serong can play as an inside or outside midfielder, does not flinch in the clinches and has great poise and polish. He was the player fancied for pick three mid-season , before Young. Henry adds pace, skill and flair. He had worked with Fremantle all year and while the Carlton bid was earlier than the Dockers would have liked, they were always going to match any bid after pick eight. The Blues weren’t finished by a long shot. They then bid for Greater Western Sydney prospect Tom Green and, when that bid was matched, the Blues then traded further down the order, paving the way for Gold Coast to trade up and take Flanders. If Flanders slid a little bit, the big slider was Robertson, touted as a possible top-10 choice and a target for Fremantle, but left at the altar like Ian Hill was on the first draft night last year. It will be interesting to see what clubs are prepared to do in trade talks overnight to get up the order to get near Robertson. Port have the first pick today and no doubt would have taken a few phone calls. Robertson may have work to do on his kicking but there is no stronger character or better leader in this draft. Watch this space. If Fremantle were A WINNER last night, Gold Coast were THE BIG WINNERS. The Suns knew they were going to get Rowell and Anderson, but having Flanders fall in their laps was a bonus.

Apr 14, 2018
Just up the street
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC
Joke Turns Into Reality For Country Teammates

JORDAN MCARDLE MELBOURNE

Fremantle’s top selection Hayden Young described the “surreal” feeling of having close mate Caleb Serong join him after the pair were snapped up with consecutive top-10 picks last night. Young met Serong in the Victoria Country under-16 s program, with their friendship developing from there. “We used to joke about getting drafted to the same club and thought how cool it would be,” Young said last night. “It’s pretty surreal that it’s happening, I’m very stoked that I’m going across with him and I’m looking forward to what the future holds at Fremantle.” The 188cm intercept-marking defender has a clean left foot as he showcased for Vic Country, averaging 22 disposals at nearly 80 per cent efficiency on his way to under-18 All-Australian selection . Rated as the best kick in the draft, the Dandenong Stingrays product addresses Fremantle’s need for a reliable ball user. He is hoping he can complement his new team’s already impressive defensive unit, which includes Joel Hamling, Luke Ryan, Nathan Wilson and Alex Pearce. “At the moment I’m just hoping to get over there and just put my head down and earn the respect of my teammates,” Young said. “If opportunities arise, hopefully I can play a few games.” Young’s older brother Lachie made his debut for the Western Bulldogs last season, playing six senior games. The Dockers play the Bulldogs at Optus Stadium in round nine, which could turn into a battle of the Young siblings. “It would be a special day for the family if that happened,” he said. Asked for his thoughts on fellow draftee Liam Henry, who played in the final game of the national under-18 s carnival, Young said: “It’s certainly better having him on my team rather than the opposition.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back