Mega Thread The Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLO is very different to Ross so it's difficult to compare. What I appreciate about JLOs philosophy is that it's all about empowerment and opportunity with his coaches and his players.

Like it or not but this style of coaching is becoming very common and successful in other sports and is now seen as the best way to motivate players long term. It's why we are seeing less of the old school coaches (Eade, Malthouse etc) who lead a very hierarchical rein with a 'my way or the highway' approach.

Ross was a fantastic coach and I'll always be grateful for the successful period and professionalism that he brought to the club. He did have his faults though - especially in terms of empowering his assistant coaches which meant that we weren't able to attract good ones. He also rewarded his senior players too often without providing proper opportunities for young players. Even though Blakely, Cerra and Brayshaw were getting games, it felt wasted in the wrong positions.

I think we'll have some ups and downs this year but I hope we see glimpses of the future and our club on the right track in 2020. I will definitely take this over a similar year to last year - where we were thereabouts with scrappy wins and losses but still little to get excited about long term.

Tom Morris carefully articulated our clubs plan to win our first flag..
Fremantle is part-way through formulating a new strategic plan, led by recently appointed chief executive Simon Garlick.
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🙅‍♂️🙅‍♂️🙅‍♂️🤐🤐🤐
Closing in on the worst journalism I’ve read.

JL on 6pr tonight - best I heard him....maybe he is gaining in confidence? Suggest parties listen when you have a chance because I only heard a small sample.

Yeah he's definitely more clear in that interview. I gather he handles more direct team / football related questions far better than the super broad and nebulus questions he's been mainly getting since he's been appointed about philosophies, inspirations, future plans etc.

Fyfe is to be the All Stars Captain. Warrants a small headline and column on page 54 of today's West. Imagine if a West Coast player had been selected. Would have been plastered over the front and back pages.

I expect front & back pages devoted to how Naitanui SMS’d John Longmire recommending Fyfe to be captain of the All Stars team.

I thought I heard Basil this morning saying it hasn't been made official yet (Fyfe capt) but word had just got out. i.e. you might see the front pager tomorrow as to why it should have been Hurn's captaincy (even though he wasn't good enough to play)

Neale Clone Poised For Pre-Season Call-Up

BRADEN QUARTERMAINE

Justin Longmuir will unwrap only one of his three prized top-10 draft picks in Saturday’s pre-season clash with Carlton, with pocket rocket Caleb Serong set to be given a chance as part of Fremantle’s midfield of the future. Serong, 19, is in line to join Andrew Brayshaw and Adam Cerra, both 20, as part of a next generation on-ball unit to face the Blues in Mandurah in the Marsh Community Series. Captain Nat Fyfe and versatile star Michael Walters will miss the game to play for the All-Stars against Victoria in tomorrow night’s bushfire fundraising showpiece at Marvel Stadium, while midfielder Darcy Tucker is in doubt with a minor knee injury. Defender Hayden Young, taken with pick No.7, and academy product Liam Henry (No.9) are both set to be left out of Longmuir’s first squad when the teams are released today. Young had been viewed as the most advanced of the Fremantle draftees, but a leg injury last week means he will have to wait. Henry has been on a modified training program due to a pre-existing knee injury and he will not feature in either of the Dockers’ pre-season fixtures . Serong, a 178cm midfielder in the mould of Brisbane gun Lachie Neale, is mounting his case for inclusion in the season-opener against Essendon after impressing in an intraclub game last Friday. The No.8 draft pick can also play as a small forward. Carlton veteran Eddie Betts will miss the Mandurah game after being called into the All-Stars’ line-up yesterday, joining Patrick Cripps. Co-captain Sam Docherty will lead the Blues as he returns from backto-back anterior cruciate ligament tears. Fremantle ruckman Sean Darcy completed most of yesterday’s training session as he bids to prove his fitness for Saturday. A slimmer Darcy, whose left shoulder was strapped after hurting it nearly two weeks ago, spoke to medical staff at times but joined match simulation work and took a strong overhead mark. Back-up ruckman Lloyd Meek also joined the main group, as the club’s ruck worries begin to ease.

I tried listening to JLos podcast and I Just don't get it. I listened to Ross on a podcast last week and it was so good I listened to it twice.

It's going to a be a frustrating year seeing Ross in the media and watching JLO in our media conferences.

I could not imagine looking up to a coach that doesn't have a sense of humour. The guy just seems so vanilla to me.

Matter of perspective. Ross is silky smooth, extremely well traveled and a great leader of Men.

I feel like I know Longmuir when I listen to him though, salt of the earth type who was born with soil under his fingernails. Dedicated to the family farm and keeping bread on the table. An inward and shy type who didn't secure any major Mentor figures as a player and worked on his craft alone. His footy career was tragically cut short by injuries, and he just went about working hard in every coaching gig that came his way.

I don't expect his interviews to be great either, but I do believe his ways will slowly seep in through the skin of the players. He's coach of this side because he appears to know what game plan is required to win games. I don't know, sometimes people say more by saying less and I think Longmuir will end up one of those types.

A slow-burn this one will be, but it will come good I think.

Good interview with Sonny on the AFL website for those who haven't seen it yet.

Obviously the story of his revival's been done to death over the years, but hearing him speak so candidly and matter of fact about it and what inspires him going forward still brings a tear to your eye just at the sheer quality Freo man he is today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can anyone access this? Bloody paywalls

Edit: managed to get to it via The Age

Mate for any watoday article open it in a private tab, works every time.

Neale Clone Poised For Pre-Season Call-Up

BRADEN QUARTERMAINE

Justin Longmuir will unwrap only one of his three prized top-10 draft picks in Saturday’s pre-season clash with Carlton, with pocket rocket Caleb Serong set to be given a chance as part of Fremantle’s midfield of the future. Serong, 19, is in line to join Andrew Brayshaw and Adam Cerra, both 20, as part of a next generation on-ball unit to face the Blues in Mandurah in the Marsh Community Series. Captain Nat Fyfe and versatile star Michael Walters will miss the game to play for the All-Stars against Victoria in tomorrow night’s bushfire fundraising showpiece at Marvel Stadium, while midfielder Darcy Tucker is in doubt with a minor knee injury. Defender Hayden Young, taken with pick No.7, and academy product Liam Henry (No.9) are both set to be left out of Longmuir’s first squad when the teams are released today. Young had been viewed as the most advanced of the Fremantle draftees, but a leg injury last week means he will have to wait. Henry has been on a modified training program due to a pre-existing knee injury and he will not feature in either of the Dockers’ pre-season fixtures . Serong, a 178cm midfielder in the mould of Brisbane gun Lachie Neale, is mounting his case for inclusion in the season-opener against Essendon after impressing in an intraclub game last Friday. The No.8 draft pick can also play as a small forward. Carlton veteran Eddie Betts will miss the Mandurah game after being called into the All-Stars’ line-up yesterday, joining Patrick Cripps. Co-captain Sam Docherty will lead the Blues as he returns from backto-back anterior cruciate ligament tears. Fremantle ruckman Sean Darcy completed most of yesterday’s training session as he bids to prove his fitness for Saturday. A slimmer Darcy, whose left shoulder was strapped after hurting it nearly two weeks ago, spoke to medical staff at times but joined match simulation work and took a strong overhead mark. Back-up ruckman Lloyd Meek also joined the main group, as the club’s ruck worries begin to ease.

Strange in this day and age that sports journos refuse to acknowledge the role of load/training management, i.e. if a bloke misses a training session he is injured!

I got it excited for a sec till I realised it was written by that flog Prestipino

Does anyone know what happened to the stats on match centre ? The new website layout for the afl and freo is so s**t.

I tried listening to JLos podcast and I Just don't get it. I listened to Ross on a podcast last week and it was so good I listened to it twice.

It's going to a be a frustrating year seeing Ross in the media and watching JLO in our media conferences.

I could not imagine looking up to a coach that doesn't have a sense of humour. The guy just seems so vanilla to me.

Maybe the fact 1 is a coach that has to play the PR game and 1 is an ex coach looking pump up his credentials as an interesting performer to the show runners of the footy media might play a part in that

Never heard Lyon doing too many podcasts before a season started when he was running the show

where do I find the Ross Lyon podcast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back