Mega Thread The Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fremantle’s Reece Conca says the Dockers ‘greatest win’ of 2020 has been culture shift under Justin Longmuir
Josh GarleppThe West Australian
Wed, 16 September 2020 9:02AM
Fremantle leader Reece Conca believes the ‘greatest win’ for the Dockers in 2020 has been the culture shift within the club under coach Justin Longmuir.
Longmuir took over from axed coach Ross Lyon last year and the second youngest list in the competition has responded with seven wins in the COVID-19 interrupted season

Chief executive Steve Rosich was also shown the door at the end of last season, while the sackings of strength and conditioning boss Jason Weber and assistant coaches Michael Prior and Anthony Rock has seen a facelift to the Dockers brass, regardless Conca believed the playing group have thrived this season.

We’ve built a really strong culture this year and I think that’s probably the greatest win for us as a playing group,” Conca told TAB Radio.

“We want to stick to the process no matter what the consequences are.

“We want to keep implementing the system that Justin Longmuir has brought across because it does work.”

The side’s emphatic win over North Melbourne on the weekend was helped by a return to form Jesse Hogan who finished with four goals, his first of the year.

Blake Acres and his Dockers team mates celebrate winning the round 17 AFL match between the North Melbourne Kangaroos and the Fremantle Dockers.

Blake Acres and his Dockers team mates celebrate winning the round 17 AFL match between the North Melbourne Kangaroos and the Fremantle Dockers. Credit: Chris Hyde/via AFL Photos
Conca said the next level for the Dockers will be reached as their tall fowards build chemistry towards next season.

“I think so, they’re both incredibly quality players and the weekend showed they can work really well together and add Rory Lobb in there as well,” he said.

“I think it will take time for those guys to gel and I feel like they’ve built that.”

Conca was rested against the Roos but said he will return against the Western Bulldogs on Sunday for the final fixture of their season.

Reece Conca of the Dockers handpasses the ball during the 2020 AFL Round 11 match between the Fremantle Dockers and the Hawthorn Hawks.

Reece Conca of the Dockers handpasses the ball during the 2020 AFL Round 11 match between the Fremantle Dockers and the Hawthorn Hawks. Credit: Will Russell/AFL Photos
“The hamstring’s fantastic and was probably just the body telling me I need to slow down a bit,” he said.

“I was touch and go to play the last game and with the workload, we went through we thought it’d be wise to have a game off.

“I’m available again this week and it’s feeling great, so just an RDO for me.”

Im surprised people don’t like Gerard Healy, he’s always been the one dude that’s bat for us “On the Couch” compared to the others.

Yeah i am suprised he has always given us a fair go especially as he makes the trip out west nearly every week for that sunday twilight game.

If you go to Freo95 youtube channel he has clips back from 2010 from on the couch where healy was asking Mike sheahan have you got on the freo bus yet. As in Gerard eyes we were finally fulfilling our potential.

He may have been critical of us recently but its not like the fans on here aren't critical either. I reckon its more he has higher expectations of us then most commentators and wants us to succeed. The impression i get over the years is he loves a underdog.

And its not like we justify much credit for our performance in the past 5 years we havent won 4 games in a row since 2015

I am pretty sure I heard Hardie on 6PR this arvo complaining about Hawkins winning the Coleman with "only" 40 goals.

Do these paid commentators need to be continually reminded about shortened quarters and a shortened season?
If he kicks 3 and ends on 43 then you add 20% for short quarters and multiply 22/17 for shortened season you get about 67 goals which is pretty much the average for Coleman medallist’s for the last few years.

Hardie talks s**t

If he kicks 3 and ends on 43 then you add 20% for short quarters and multiply 22/17 for shortened season you get about 67 goals which is pretty much the average for Coleman medallist’s for the last few years.

Hardie talks sh*t
Also the fact that they resumed the season without any form of match conditioning from the previous 10 weeks.

I think what Ralph is saying is actually in support of what maybe many on this board including myself has thought.

The people who select these things most probably don't even watch all the games. Neale not being AA while with us would confirm this.

Quaynor getting the rsiing star nomination is another great example of that. Adelaide vs Carlton was maybe seen as a bit of a nothing game so maybe Scholl wasn't picked because no one watched the game. I did and Scholl didn't just get stats, he was a key reason why the Crows started so good.

The AFL's awards are mostly popularity contests or loaded decisions to fit their agenda's.
Quanor getting the nod over Rivers is criminal. Whoever selects it didn't watch every game. Very bad call.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fremantle’s Reece Conca says the Dockers ‘greatest win’ of 2020 has been culture shift under Justin Longmuir
Josh GarleppThe West Australian
Wed, 16 September 2020 9:02AM
Fremantle leader Reece Conca believes the ‘greatest win’ for the Dockers in 2020 has been the culture shift within the club under coach Justin Longmuir.
Longmuir took over from axed coach Ross Lyon last year and the second youngest list in the competition has responded with seven wins in the COVID-19 interrupted season

Chief executive Steve Rosich was also shown the door at the end of last season, while the sackings of strength and conditioning boss Jason Weber and assistant coaches Michael Prior and Anthony Rock has seen a facelift to the Dockers brass, regardless Conca believed the playing group have thrived this season.

We’ve built a really strong culture this year and I think that’s probably the greatest win for us as a playing group,” Conca told TAB Radio.

“We want to stick to the process no matter what the consequences are.

“We want to keep implementing the system that Justin Longmuir has brought across because it does work.”

The side’s emphatic win over North Melbourne on the weekend was helped by a return to form Jesse Hogan who finished with four goals, his first of the year.

Blake Acres and his Dockers team mates celebrate winning the round 17 AFL match between the North Melbourne Kangaroos and the Fremantle Dockers.

Blake Acres and his Dockers team mates celebrate winning the round 17 AFL match between the North Melbourne Kangaroos and the Fremantle Dockers. Credit: Chris Hyde/via AFL Photos
Conca said the next level for the Dockers will be reached as their tall fowards build chemistry towards next season.

“I think so, they’re both incredibly quality players and the weekend showed they can work really well together and add Rory Lobb in there as well,” he said.

“I think it will take time for those guys to gel and I feel like they’ve built that.”

Conca was rested against the Roos but said he will return against the Western Bulldogs on Sunday for the final fixture of their season.

Reece Conca of the Dockers handpasses the ball during the 2020 AFL Round 11 match between the Fremantle Dockers and the Hawthorn Hawks.

Reece Conca of the Dockers handpasses the ball during the 2020 AFL Round 11 match between the Fremantle Dockers and the Hawthorn Hawks. Credit: Will Russell/AFL Photos
“The hamstring’s fantastic and was probably just the body telling me I need to slow down a bit,” he said.

“I was touch and go to play the last game and with the workload, we went through we thought it’d be wise to have a game off.

“I’m available again this week and it’s feeling great, so just an RDO for me.”

News (noun) : material reported in a newspaper or news periodical or on a newscast, typically based on verifiable facts and accurately quoted sources.

Headline (noun) : any old sh*t you feel like spouting.

I just watched that Ralph - Serong video, and I am utterly confused by what his point was?

On one hand, it's like he's trying to say that because more people are watching small market teams like Fremantle, is giving a greater spotlight to a player like Serong to win this type of award.

But in his delivery, he questions whether Serong deserves it... which immediately contradicts his statement?

It's almost as if he's saying that he's disappointed that Serong will likely win, because that means watching teams that he doesn't care about will now become a part of his role as a journalist.

I just watched that Ralph - Serong video, and I am utterly confused by what his point was?

On one hand, it's like he's trying to say that because more people are watching small market teams like Fremantle, is giving a greater spotlight to a player like Serong to win this type of award.

But in his delivery, he questions whether Serong deserves it... which immediately contradicts his statement?

It's almost as if he's saying that he's disappointed that Serong will likely win, because that means watching teams that he doesn't care about will now become a part of his role as a journalist.

It was essentially

“Now that we’ve been forced to watch a team that I and other Vics don’t care about in Fremantle, do we have to actually give the award to the most deserving player? Rather than a flashy player from a prime time team I like more but was worse?”

And oblivious to how dumb the implication of that question was like a true Vic media nuffy. Dunstall‘s response was appropriate.

maybe it's just me, but if my job was as a journalist/commentator/media representative of the AFL, I would watch 9 games a week in season, even if 7 or 8 of them were pre-recorded and I could cut out the adds, etc. to minimise the unnecessary bits I don't need to watch.

maybe it's just me, but if my job was as a journalist/commentator/media representative of the AFL, I would watch 9 games a week in season, even if 7 or 8 of them were pre-recorded and I could cut out the adds, etc. to minimise the unnecessary bits I don't need to watch.
It’s staggering this is even a discussion point. You are getting paid to do something a lot of people do for fun, how can you not watch every game...

I think some people on here are underestimating how busy some of these blokes are. If you're a talking head like David King or Nick Dal Santo, fair enough you should be watching the vast majority of games. But someone like Ralph would be reporting on much more than just gameday and as such would be researching, writing and following up leads during the week moreso than watching five-day-old matches between 15th & 16th on the ladder...

Ralph has and will always be a campaigner (not as bad as King). He probably has some $$ on Anderson and of course he's a massive Tigers fan and wants Balta to win it.

I think some people on here are underestimating how busy some of these blokes are. If you're a talking head like David King or Nick Dal Santo, fair enough you should be watching the vast majority of games. But someone like Ralph would be reporting on much more than just gameday and as such would be researching, writing and following up leads during the week moreso than watching five-day-old matches between 15th & 16th on the ladder...
It's his freaking job...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back