Mega Thread The Media Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 18, 2012
Vic
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think some people on here are underestimating how busy some of these blokes are. If you're a talking head like David King or Nick Dal Santo, fair enough you should be watching the vast majority of games. But someone like Ralph would be reporting on much more than just gameday and as such would be researching, writing and following up leads during the week moreso than watching five-day-old matches between 15th & 16th on the ladder...

I think you're overestimating how busy they are, and the amount of research they actually do for their stories.

Sully90

Premiership Player
Dec 24, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal
I'd stop short of saying that they have to watch all 9 games over the weekend. 1 family event and you're pretty much screwed. If they're going on TV Monday or Tuesday night to talk about it though I'd expect them to watch replays during the day.

Apr 14, 2018
Just up the street
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC
WAFC shananigans

Attachments

• 02DBBB69-3799-4B6B-BED3-1416951F8236.png
    02DBBB69-3799-4B6B-BED3-1416951F8236.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 167
  • 2161A7C0-CBBF-4A8B-86E9-62FFF3C5F03A.png
    2161A7C0-CBBF-4A8B-86E9-62FFF3C5F03A.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 165
Sep 4, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I don’t think it is. I wouldn’t expect an NBA reporter for ESPN to have watched all 82 games for each team. Sure AFL is only 17 but IMO there isn’t the need to do so. Just my opinion.

82 game season versus 22 so not sure about the comparison. Ralph admitted that he's watched more Freo games this year largely because he's had no choice.

So you reckon Ralph watches as many Freo games as say Collingwood or Richmond games?

Do you think it's ok that there's still a high proportion of reporters and commentators who don't even know who our players are?

malpaso

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Kansas City Royals
I think you can be a good reporter and not watch every single min of every single game. Not watching every game isn’t the issue with Ralph.
I think if he comments/writes/tweets about a team/player/game and also has the label 'expert' then it should be an expectation to watch games and I'm sure his employers think the same.

I don’t think it is. I wouldn’t expect an NBA reporter for ESPN to have watched all 82 games for each team. Sure AFL is only 17 but IMO there isn’t the need to do so. Just my opinion.
to be fair NBA is basically multiple games every night, what makes someone like Zach Lowe one of the best NBA reporters is that he makes the effort to watch at least some of each team every few weeks. slightly different dynamic with the AFL, but I don't think for a reporter it's unreasonable for them to watch some of each team every few weeks. although as someone who's started listening to the footyology podcast this year, what I like most about that is that Connoly and Fine do watch a decent chunk of each game.

Jun 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
to be fair NBA is basically multiple games every night, what makes someone like Zach Lowe one of the best NBA reporters is that he makes the effort to watch at least some of each team every few weeks. slightly different dynamic with the AFL, but I don't think for a reporter it's unreasonable for them to watch some of each team every few weeks. although as someone who's started listening to the footyology podcast this year, what I like most about that is that Connoly and Fine do watch a decent chunk of each game.
Yeah that’s a fair request, I don’t think it’s necessary to watch every single min of all games though. Seems like a waste of time for a lot of the journos who don’t comment on game day stuff.

The AFL doesn’t have anyone that even comes close to Lowe regardless if they watch all games. The only person I know promotes the fact they watch every game is Terry Wallace and most of his job is analysing the lists so it makes sense.

Shaymuhz

Club Legend
Nov 12, 2006
1060 West Addison
AFL Club
Fremantle
It's his freaking job...

No, it's one element of his job. Ralph primarily isn't paid to provide detailed gameday analysis. He's paid to break news and report on every aspect of the AFL (particularly with a Victorian focus, as it's a Victorian paper). Not saying he isn't a flog, just that it's not realistic to expert him to watch 600+ hours of footy on top of all his other work duties

Apr 14, 2018
Just up the street
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC

Monument Hills

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hufflepuff, Wildcats, WCE womens
I bet they don’t. He would have better click bait things to write about than watching or writing about Freo v North.
if you are providing 'expert' comment nationwide on who should win the Rising Star should you perhaps regularly watch the games of one of the top 2 prospects? Likewise, if you are on the AA selection panel (Kevin Bartlett), aren't you breaching your duties in not watching every game?

Jun 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
if you are providing 'expert' comment nationwide on who should win the Rising Star should you perhaps regularly watch the games of one of the top 2 prospects? Likewise, if you are on the AA selection panel (Kevin Bartlett), aren't you breaching your duties in not watching every game?
Every single min of every single game? No, I don’t actually think that’s required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back