Mega Thread The Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Great to hear Luke Ryan on 6PR this morning that although under the Ross years, he saw the game as jsut another 4 points, JL and he and the rest of the boys are looking at this as more than just 4 points. Mentioned the heightened tensions and bought up incidents of past to add motivation this week.

I hope we come out breathing fire and smash them.

You could equally say Collingwood only have 30 or so years of tradition in the Afl.
No you can't. The competition may have been renamed the AFL but interstate clubs chose to join the VFL. V/AFL history dates back 100+ years and so does Collingwoods. In an ideal world the leading clubs of the WAFL, SANFL and VFL should have formed the AFL but that didn't happen.

Great to hear Luke Ryan on 6PR this morning that although under the Ross years, he saw the game as jsut another 4 points, JL and he and the rest of the boys are looking at this as more than just 4 points. Mentioned the heightened tensions and bought up incidents of past to add motivation this week.

I hope we come out breathing fire and smash them.

That is great to hear, I have always thought the issue with talking down a game is that you end up going in with a mentality that is worse than if it was just a normal game.

That is great to hear, I have always thought the issue with talking down a game is that you end up going in with a mentality that is worse than if it was just a normal game.

Agreed, I was onboard with Ross’s clinical approach to start with but it really sucks the fun out of the game sometimes when it’s all about the job, getting to work, just 4 points etc.

Its monotonous and mechanical but the players aren’t robots. Like how he referred to the GF as ‘Round 26’, you can pretend every game is the same all you want it doesn’t make it true and players need that extra emotional investment sometimes.

Agreed, I was onboard with Ross’s clinical approach to start with but it really sucks the fun out of the game sometimes when it’s all about the job, getting to work, just 4 points etc.

Its monotonous and mechanical but the players aren’t robots. Like how he referred to the GF as ‘Round 26’, you can pretend every game is the same all you want it doesn’t make it true and players need that extra emotional investment sometimes.
Ross' ethos was perfect at the time and for the group he took over in 2012. They needed a reminder of what they were really playing for in the long term.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More biffo. Haselby.
Geez that Demo Derby was fun to be at. I've still got the dents in my knees from sitting in the crappy Subi 3 tier stand that day...

I can't believe it was 21 years ago...

...Geez, I'm old!

A work colleague went to the demo derby - it was her first game of footy and she was sitting, coincidentally, a couple of rows ahead of me in the dreaded 3-tier stand. Like everyone else, she was going off like a frog in a sock and around the time Brad "Lefthook" Dodd was knocking Philthy Phil Read into next week, she turned around and positively squealed at me, "Is it like this every week?"

I wish, lady. I wish.

No you can't. The competition may have been renamed the AFL but interstate clubs chose to join the VFL. V/AFL history dates back 100+ years and so does Collingwoods. In an ideal world the leading clubs of the WAFL, SANFL and VFL should have formed the AFL but that didn't happen.
It's certainly no fixed defined thing in what the AFL is in terms of the VFL and history. It's a mixed bag and they pick and choose the tradition idea as it suits them, especially re the interstate clubs.

As there is still a VFL and Collingwood have a team in that competition, it seems to me to be a fight between the traditions of the VFL and the SANFL.

It's certainly no fixed defined thing in what the AFL is in terms of the VFL and history. It's a mixed bag and they pick and choose the tradition idea as it suits them, especially re the interstate clubs.
Your right & it’s not even worth a discussion because there’s never been a definitive answer.
But getting back to the original discussion, if I were a Port person it would be part of the argument I would be using.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back