News Latest: Jack Ginnivan admits to using illicit substances

Remove this Banner Ad

EDIT: I'm of the view that its a players personal time so they can do whatever they want like any other public citizen as long as they are not breaking team rules etc.
He was reportedly breaking team rules though, as I said above. No drinking because it was a 6-day turnaround and his response was to go drinking with mates at the pub.

All I know about Ginnivan is that he's the bottle blonde Collingwood kid who kicked 5 on Anzac Day and he has been something of a talking point amongst all the AFL media bobbleheads because of his social media presence. They're just being parasites and latching onto a charismatic young footballer who is making a name for himself. And in typical AFL media parasite style, they try to make the story all about themselves. [exhibit A: Kane Cornes bleaching his hair]

I've had an enjoyable footy season so far of just watching Hawthorn games and maybe one or two others on the weekend.

So many tossers in the AFL media these days

Kane Cornes
Damian Barrett
Caroline Wilson
Sam McClure
Gerard Whateley
Mark Robinson
David King
Wayne Carey
Nathan Buckley
Craig Hutchison
Tony Jones

I don't know how anyone can stand watching or listening to any of it. I can't believe I ever gave them my attention.
All they ever did was aggravate me with their shitty opinions, hot takes, in-jokes, moral crusading and shameless self-promotion.

I came to the realisation that none of the "infotainment" provided by these plonkers added 0.0001% to my enjoyment of the footy

imng]

I don't understand how you can't stand those people. Kane Cornes is the only media personality that says things the way they are. He says Elliott Yeo is overweight, he says that some AFLW players should be called overweight too and not be protected by their gender. All correct points that no other media person would dare say. The criticism on Ginnivan was justified. He was acting like a knob. Since when do 19 year olds escape criticism?

No idea how you can't like Gerard Whately. He's one of the most measured, articulate presenters on tv. He isn't mean spirited in anything he says and he has a balanced outlook on everything.

Almost everyone on your list I like except for Mark Robinson. But if you've got an issue with all the media personalities then it's probably more to do with you than them.

I don't understand how you can't stand those people. Kane Cornes is the only media personality that says things the way they are. He says Elliott Yeo is overweight, he says that some AFLW players should be called overweight too and not be protected by their gender. All correct
I think it’s pretty simple. Those who were raised to keep their opinions to themselves, or to be “seen and not heard”, are likely to feel a lot of resentment and/or jealousy of those in the community who freely express themselves.

Lol. I always like reading this stuff when it pops up as though it’s all ‘the modern media’ and their fault.
Because flamboyant extroverted players like Jacko, Capper, Brereton never got criticised or courted attention in the media did they.
Please.

I once saw one of those guys mentioned with his utensil in the top right pocket of a pool table one night at a club whilst a chick was lining up her shot.

The notion of 'media scrutiny' was far, far different and much, much lighter on than it is now.

No idea how you can't like Gerard Whately. He's one of the most measured, articulate presenters on tv. He isn't mean spirited in anything he says and he has a balanced outlook on everything.
He's an AFL mouthpiece though.

He pushes their line when they need him to. His gushing over the upcoming new rule changes back when Hocking took over was just disgusting and should have seen him hog tied and thrown into Yarra, never to be seen in the media ever again.

It was appalling and incredibly blatant in his attempted manipulation of the public.

Ditto his Essendon saga coverage and commentary. Just terrible, and utterly shameful in its obvious bias.

I hate that team rules are even a thing. If a player wants to get on the turps then let them. If, as a result of getting cooked, the player turns in a s**t performance then drop him.

One thing he should be dropped for is the shirt size selection. Just looks like a toddler.

Whately comes across as too much of a nerd to be mean-spirited

He just wants to be seen as the most intelligent person in the room. Pretty good gig to aspire to when you are in the footy business. He'd be exposed in the real world though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's an AFL mouthpiece though.

He pushes their line when they need him to. His gushing over the upcoming new rule changes back when Hocking took over was just disgusting and should have seen him hog tied and thrown into Yarra, never to be seen in the media ever again.

It was appalling and incredibly blatant in his attempted manipulation of the public.

Ditto his Essendon saga coverage and commentary. Just terrible, and utterly shameful in its obvious bias.
thank you.

I don't understand how you can't stand those people. Kane Cornes is the only media personality that says things the way they are. He says Elliott Yeo is overweight, he says that some AFLW players should be called overweight too and not be protected by their gender. All correct points that no other media person would dare say. The criticism on Ginnivan was justified. He was acting like a knob. Since when do 19 year olds escape criticism?

Almost everyone on your list I like except for Mark Robinson. But if you've got an issue with all the media personalities then it's probably more to do with you than them.
wow, so you have never felt like you are being soft-shoed a particular agenda from Whately?

Every take he has just screams 'AFL PR division' to me

AFL 360 is desperately in need of fresh voices, he should probably challenge himself to do something different too. Every episode is identical, I mean I know the words are different, but the formula..

wow, so you have never felt like you are being soft-shoed a particular agenda from Whately?

Every take he has just screams 'AFL PR division' to me

AFL 360 is desperately in need of fresh voices, he should probably challenge himself to do something different too. Every episode is identical, I mean I know the words are different, but the formula..
When I look at AFL 360, I look at 2 hosts that a re polar opposites. One is a refined, educated, articulate, high EQ, high IQ man and the other one is a slob, poorly presented, uneducated, stuttering unprofessional host.

I think Gerard Whately disagrees with the AFL agenda all of the time. He has a go at their fixturing, the umpiring, etc. all of the time. I think because he's just so balanced that it could come across as AFL PR.

With the AFL media and commentators across all channels being bogans, I think Whately is the only one who isn't your typical boys club bogan. This is why I like him.

When I look at AFL 360, I look at 2 hosts that a re polar opposites. One is a refined, educated, articulate, high EQ, high IQ man and the other one is a slob, poorly presented, uneducated, stuttering unprofessional host.

I think Gerard Whately disagrees with the AFL agenda all of the time. He has a go at their fixturing, the umpiring, etc. all of the time. I think because he's just so balanced that it could come across as AFL PR.

With the AFL media and commentators across all channels being bogans, I think Whately is the only one who isn't your typical boys club bogan. This is why I like him.

Fmd Dan, you are better than that.

Hahaha wow. Gerard isn't that clever. He has just built a brand for himself by sounding clever. Looks like he has you hooked.

Every single time he speaks he uses words out of context or incorrectly. I'm not talking about a stutter or a mispoken word, I'm talking about flat out nonsense. Dude overdoes his editorials on SEN with a thesaurus because it cultivates his brand. Any speech writer would tell you it's a rubbish way to actually convey the message.

As for Robbo, I have absolutely no doubt he is allowed to be on that show still because Gerard enjoys the obvious contrast between the two which again serves his own image.

Gerard is a traditionalist in every sense of the word and it's so obvious he is happy to be the flagship person for media in exchange for projecting the messages favoured by the media and AFL. He is not his own man and that's understandable - he has to look after himself but you'd be a fool to think what you are hearing isn't manufactured.

I don't know, when I recently watched Whately try to make new gesticulation rule sound rational and this-is-all-very-normal...

Luckily the AFL itself has quietly shelved the extreme version of the rule since then!

I don't see the big deal about a guy who's dyed his hair and gone out and kicked a few goals.

Whether he ends up becoming a star or not doesn't matter, the game needs a few flashy players, I hated the booing of a young man at the G on Saturday (although that was probably more for the goals from free kicks - which were there, but fans still hate to see it)

15-20 years ago, yes.

These days you can barely look at an opponent without giving away a free kick.

There won't be any serious attention because you simply can't do anything like that in the modern game.

He is a cocky little fella, and it's bloody fun when you get one of those playing for your team.
I wonder if that Richmond player that snuck a couple of sneaky fists into the back of Ginni's head after the siren realised there was a loophole which meant the umps couldn't pay a free because it wasn't "in play"?

I live in hope that the MRP will have their say, but I'm not holding my breath.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back