Certified Legendary Thread The Medical Sub blunder - What the hell?

Pilchard_Adams

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Maybe. It maybe would have been a fraction of this size even if we lost, but we didn't balls up the Crouch compo situation, or we didn't do that camp, or Roo hadn't offered all that surly commentary on all the players who left on MMM last year, or any of the other tone-deaf, insular utensil-ups the club has churned out on the reg over the journey.

The fact is that these mistakes aren't made in isolation at the AFC and people are frustrated at the repetition when it comes to the lack of professional standards on display.

Steve Smith scuffing the crease while he shadow bats during the opposition innings isn't a huge deal in isolation, but in the context of his past indiscretions, he's surely got no excuse for being surprised that it attracted some attention.

The AFC continues to be surprised, surly, and defensive when these things happen and that just makes things worse. Losing by such a close margin has definitely exacerbated the frustration on this one though, but it's not the sole reason it's attracted attention.

If you asked the average supporter on these topics they wouldnt even know what you were on about. Crouch was always going to be massively overvalued on this board as is just about every player we have had go for trade. Crouch screwed this more than anything with his drugs. Everyone lost their s**t at this, yet now it seems we have a decent replacement for that pick. The camp was a bad thing. Bad decision by the club. Every single person on this board would have made wrong choices in their life or workplace. And every single other club has plenty of things their supporters claim as bad decisions too. There have been plenty of mistakes, and plenty of good decisions too which seem to be forgotten about. Media always focus on the negative and the dramatic because drama is addictive.

Just feels like the Australian way these days to point the finger, blame, throw hate, and from hindsight from our armchairs with half the facts in place voice our opinions on stuff we dont even know everything about. We are apparently all armchair selectors, coaches, recruitment agents, fitness gurus but we couldnt get a job for the under18s SANFL side if we applied 30 times. I wonder why...

A 31 page flame fest where people in here actually think they know when Lynch should be strapping up and getting his injection, when Hamil should be subbed (need I remind like 400 people who immedately assumed he had done his knee?) Meanwhile the opposite team took twice as long to get their sub on the ground.

Pilchard_Adams

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
I can see why they picked Lynch over a kid. Took a punt he wont play and lost.

Doedee on AA this morning suggested the kids need game time. Guys like Jones, Worrell, Murray etc. If they get named sub and no injury, no match time. Hampers their development.

I agree. No kid should be a sub. SANFL making it so they can't play there means a risk of no game that weekend.

Sounds like Lynch can play once jabbed up. No real issue with this, other than maybe Mackay should have been sub?

Where we erred was in not "presenting" Lynch as ready to play. If he had his kit and strapping on this would not have been picked up.

It is just dumb.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Yeah it was dumb, but it was nothing as well. I completely agree no kid should be sub. Its MacKay or Lynch for me, every game. Perhaps occasionally Kelly.

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
The same club that was ok with him hobbling around uselessly for less than a quarter of football?

Yeah you're right, we can clearly trust those geniuses.
He was only hobbling before he got the "treatment", if you look at the Telstra's heat map he had no issue covering the ground when he got on the field. Hence why he has been playing as the starting 18 for the last 3-4 weeks with "treatment".

Slippery Pete

Samcro24 alias account
Jul 19, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
If you asked the average supporter on these topics they wouldnt even know what you were on about. Crouch was always going to be massively overvalued on this board as is just about every player we have had go for trade. Crouch screwed this more than anything with his drugs. Everyone lost their sh*t at this, yet now it seems we have a decent replacement for that pick. The camp was a bad thing. Bad decision by the club. Every single person on this board would have made wrong choices in their life or workplace. And every single other club has plenty of things their supporters claim as bad decisions too. There have been plenty of mistakes, and plenty of good decisions too which seem to be forgotten about. Media always focus on the negative and the dramatic because drama is addictive.

Just feels like the Australian way these days to point the finger, blame, throw hate, and from hindsight from our armchairs with half the facts in place voice our opinions on stuff we dont even know everything about. We are apparently all armchair selectors, coaches, recruitment agents, fitness gurus but we couldnt get a job for the under18s SANFL side if we applied 30 times. I wonder why...

A 31 page flame fest where people in here actually think they know when Lynch should be strapping up and getting his injection, when Hamil should be subbed (need I remind like 400 people who immedately assumed he had done his knee?) Meanwhile the opposite team took twice as long to get their sub on the ground.

Waffle

And what don't you guys get? Players play with "treatment" all the time and was what Ricciuto was trying to tell you guys, Sandiland did with his a sore toe until this development to a tuff toe injury and was rule out of the season due to this injury.
This is true. But when the injury is hampering their performance... they shouldn’t be playing. Full stop. Clearly, this injury IS hampering Lynch, but for one game, we’ve seen a pretty ordinary return from him so far. The BEST treatment for turf toe is to get off the damned thing. He may not be training, but putting on the boots and running for 2+ hours on match day is just exacerbating his problem IMO. We saw it with Tex, and we are seeing it again with Lynch.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
This is true. But when the injury is hampering their performance... they shouldn’t be playing. Full stop. Clearly, this injury IS hampering Lynch, but for one game, we’ve seen a pretty ordinary return from him so far. The BEST treatment for turf toe is to get off the damned thing. He may not be training, but putting on the boots and running for 2+ hours on match day is just exacerbating his problem IMO. We saw it with Tex, and we are seeing it again with Lynch.
Are you the Jenny in this video getting your turf toe strapped? :)

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
He was only hobbling before he got the "treatment", if you look at the Telstra's heat map he had no issue covering the ground when he got on the field. Hence why he has been playing as the starting 18 for the last 3-4 weeks with "treatment".

So what you're saying is he hobbled quickly?

How was his marking? How was his ability to impact a contest?

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide

First I agree with John Who and now I agree with Jenny.

this thread is a strange one...

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
If you asked the average supporter on these topics they wouldnt even know what you were on about. Crouch was always going to be massively overvalued on this board as is just about every player we have had go for trade. Crouch screwed this more than anything with his drugs. Everyone lost their sh*t at this, yet now it seems we have a decent replacement for that pick. The camp was a bad thing. Bad decision by the club. Every single person on this board would have made wrong choices in their life or workplace. And every single other club has plenty of things their supporters claim as bad decisions too. There have been plenty of mistakes, and plenty of good decisions too which seem to be forgotten about. Media always focus on the negative and the dramatic because drama is addictive.

Just for the record some of us were very strongly on record that we wouldn't be getting a band 1 for Crouch. Despite the club not even seeing it.

So yeah lets not pretend these *ups are complicated things that us mere fans couldn't understand.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to hear a senior player say they have no interest in being the medical sub since if they don't play it doesn't give them a chance to push for a senior recall.
If the senior player is Sloane or Talia I have no problem with them stating that.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to hear a senior player say they have no interest in being the medical sub since if they don't play it doesn't give them a chance to push for a senior recall.

Doesn't seem like an attitude Nicks would appreciate given it goes against being team-first.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
If the senior player is Sloane or Talia I have no problem with them stating that.
Sure, but neither of those guys have ever been on the fringe so badly it'd be considered making them the sub. Mackay is in that situation though, he's fighting for a contract next year most likely and every game he's the medical sub and sitting there not playing is another game he can't show he deserves another deal (in his mind probably).

Sure, but neither of those guys have ever been on the fringe so badly it'd be considered making them the sub. Mackay is in that situation though, he's fighting for a contract next year most likely and every game he's the medical sub and sitting there not playing is another game he can't show he deserves another deal (in his mind probably).
Im not an AFL expert/coach but I would have thought giving certain players at least a period of time as the sub, is not going to damage them one way or the other.

So Mackay is the sub for a 3-4 week period, its not going to effect his ability to getting a contract next year. He missed a golden opportunity to come on early in the 4th and make a difference.

Its actually selfish for a player that has given so little back to the AFC.

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hence why I said they must have data which indicate his sore toe isn't affecting how he is covering the ground since all this "treatment" does is numb the toe so you can run and not feel the soreness, this doesn't affect his marking, kicking and handballing. Whereas for Sandiland being such a big man you would think even with a jab on his sore toe this would affect his covering of the ground so in the end was rule out of the season with tuff toe since this affected his performance to cover the ground (backup by data) as he normally does. Lynch was already struggling with form and he has been not his best since a few years ago.

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
So what you're saying is he hobbled quickly?

How was his marking? How was his ability to impact a contest?
He was already in very poor form (even the last few years he wasn't in good form) so him having no impact on the game isn't a surprise. I didn't see him hobbling when he was on the field, he had that unusual awkward running style he always had.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Doesn't seem like an attitude Nicks would appreciate given it goes against being team-first.
I just really want help out the kids in the SANFL... feel I can have more of an impact there... just don't want to leave them without any senior leadership... think it really helps their development to play alongside some senior heads

I'd love to be sub I really would, I just want to do the best thing for the club though

From a selfish point of view I could go sub and be closer to AFL action... but it's not about me. Club first all the way.

<a week passes>

What's that? Hamill injured? Gee... and I play a similar role how about that. I was in pretty good nick Saturday actually come to think of it.... 24 touches not that I was counting... in the best players too.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
And what don't you guys get? Players play with "treatment" all the time and was what Ricciuto was trying to tell you guys, Sandiland did with his a sore toe until this development to a tuff toe injury and was rule out of the season due to this injury.
Do you think Sandilands should have stopped playing before he was ruled out for the season?

I understand some medicos will say ' ehh keep playing till it breaks then we can fix it '' - some say rest will prevent operations and long stints

This is my concern with Lynch - are we flogging him now because we know he needs surgery so do it as late as possible?

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Firstly Congratulations on being made Mod.:thumbsu:

Can I be placed as a Medical Sub for a Mod should any Mod be unfit for duty?

Dont worry, its not like any Mod will ever be unfit, I only need a few months to warm up to be ready to take on the role so I doubt the board will need to moderated during that time.:drunk:
Do you need a jab before your Sub activation? Because the Crows board here appears to not be in favour of Subs requiring a jab and needing extra time to warm up..

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Meanwhile the opposite team took twice as long to get their sub on the ground.
You have mentioned this twice now

What does it matter how long Burgoyne took to get off the ground? Once he did their sub was ready

Hamill was off with what did look like a knee injury. Thats the moment Lynch should have been getting ready and doing what he needed to do to be ready - not waiting for someone to say ' yeah hamills off for the day ''

You have mentioned this twice now

What does it matter how long Burgoyne took to get off the ground? Once he did their sub was ready

Hamill was off with what did look like a knee injury. Thats the moment Lynch should have been getting ready and doing what he needed to do to be ready - not waiting for someone to say ' yeah hamills off for the day ''

Lynch looked f**ked off, like as if he was smoking a cigar on the bench and was asked to play.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide

I guess it’s a perception thing. The fact that it was at 3 quarter time when the game was on the line, with our sub that looked underprepared/injured/underdone, it just gives the fans a fair reason to ask questions as to why.

Basically, however how long this thread gets, if it helps to ensure the AFC doesn’t pick an underdone player or ones where they need jabs as a Med Sub before getting onto the field, then I think the discussions/flamefest have been worth it.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Lynch looked f**ked off, like as if he was smoking a cigar on the bench and was asked to play.
Lynch had the “oh s**t! I don’t really want to be here!” look. There didn’t seem to be any urgency in his prep from the bench.

Back