Society & Culture The Mel-Bun Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

Getting new, 'cool' Pope Francis was - until the facade inevitably worse off - their smartest move in decades. Benedict XVI still alive 6 years after he quit for old man health reasons.

Perhaps you'd like to indulge in some more research, before singing the praises of our current Pope.....He's no less blacker or tainted than the last incarnation.

But I digress, a matter for another thread methinks

Oh it’s the once a year racing sucks thread!

I actually think we missed it last year, somehow.

This one is more an analysis of how the Cup is representative of animal cruelty, the glorification of gambling & the socialized sanctioning of alcohol abuse.....A veritable cluster-* of vices, dressed up as a cultural celebration.

Looking forwards to your counter-arguments to the contrary squire....Rather than an empty posturing & limp-wristed waving of the arm.

This one is more an analysis of how the Cup is representative of animal cruelty, the glorification of gambling & the socialized sanctioning of alcohol abuse.....A veritable cluster-fu** of vices, dressed up as a cultural celebration.

Looking forwards to your counter-arguments to the contrary squire....Rather than an empty posturing & limp-wristed waving of the arm.

You'd just love to put this on the SRP Board, hey?

Oh, what a pity.

But you're quite happy to still have the day off for something you are so vehemently against...

I see you missed my reply about assumptions.....Apart from that, how does this moot point constitute a substantive or note-worthy counter-argument?

Welcome back....I'm assuming one more suspension will be the end of you....Try & hold it together this time.

And, even if that happens, ( and it most probably will lol), ...you still won't be able to post this tripe on the board where you desperately want to.

That is so hilarious.

Knock, knock.

F*** off.

lol.

And, even if that happens, ( and it most probably will lol), ...you still won't be able to post this tripe on the board where you desperately want to.

That is so hilarious.

Knock, knock.

F*** off.

lol.

It's pleasing to see your emotional growth since you've been away.....Try to stay on point & on topic.....I know it's difficult to maintain focus for some.

This one is more an analysis of how the Cup is representative of animal cruelty, the glorification of gambling & the socialized sanctioning of alcohol abuse.....A veritable cluster-fu** of vices, dressed up as a cultural celebration.

The only thing is, you don’t really give a * about these things though, do you?

If you want to have a discussion about how much gambling glorification and alcohol abuse occur as a result of your beloved footy compared to racing, I’d be more than happy to.

At least racing isn’t marketing it all directly to children.

Give it a few years and sports betting will shoot past racing in terms of volumes anyway.

As for alcohol... lol, really? Everything about the AFL is about grog... the advertising, the copious amount consumed at events and watching it, the hero stories of pisshead players and Mad Mondays past, the annual Grand Final of National Domestic Violence which happens to occur on the last Saturday in September.

No, the issue is you just don’t like horse racing. Which is fine, I don’t give a s**t. But dumping on it from your moral cloud because of these issues you say you care about, while remaining dedicated enough to footy to logon and talk about for years on end and over tens of thousands of posts?

Please, you and your type make me laugh. You just want to take a cheap shot at others so use something you don’t like as a platform. You don’t actually give a s**t. And I never understand how people can’t even see how transparent it is.

Don’t worry, the Cup will be over soon, we’ll get back to enjoying our racing, and the 12-month a year footy wankfest can continue.

The only thing is, you don’t really give a fu** about these things though, do you?

If you want to have a discussion about how much gambling glorification and alcohol abuse occur as a result of your beloved footy compared to racing, I’d be more than happy to.

At least racing isn’t marketing it all directly to children.

Give it a few years and sports betting will shoot past racing in terms of volumes anyway.

As for alcohol... lol, really? Everything about the AFL is about grog... the advertising, the copious amount consumed at events and watching it, the hero stories of pisshead players and Mad Mondays past, the annual Grand Final of National Domestic Violence which happens to occur on the last Saturday in September.

No, the issue is you just don’t like horse racing. Which is fine, I don’t give a s**t. But dumping on it from your moral cloud because of these issues you say you care about, while remaining dedicated enough to footy to logon and talk about for years on end and over tens of thousands of posts?

Please, you and your type make me laugh. You just want to take a cheap shot at others so use something you don’t like as a platform. You don’t actually give a s**t. And I never understand how people can’t even see how transparent it is.

Don’t worry, the Cup will be over soon, we’ll get back to enjoying our racing, and the 12-month a year footy wankfest can continue.

I most certainly do care about needless animal cruelty, as any animal lover & dog owner would do....And as for alcohol abuse, my entire childhood was utterly affected & tainted by it.....Gambling has never been a real issue for me personally, but it most certainly has hurt & destroyed the lives of people close to me.

So much then for your 'You don't really give a *' hollow premise....Almost as vacuous as your pithy arm waving away in the first instance.

Your stories over the glorification of grog & footy mind me of the 1970's.....Sure, true then, but it's hardly an endearing nor sanctioned image nowadays....Not to mention the fact that it's hardly conducive to the high-level professionalism required by players to make it in today's game.

Now, as far as the football comparisons go, then this isn't really the thread for it, nor the board.....There are many other boards that cater for that particular topic....Lets just note here, that it merely serves as a nice little 'out' for you, as a supposed substantive clause in your counter-narrative in favour of this ginormous socially sanctioned piss-up.

At the moment your entire defence amounts to: But the AFL & footy are just as bad when it comes to the gambling & alcohol culture....That these issues are in no way specific to the Melbourne Cup.....True, but this thread aint about football, now is it?

The topic is the Melbourne Cup.....Try to stay relevant.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps you'd like to indulge in some more research, before singing the praises of our current Pope.....He's no less blacker or tainted than the last incarnation.

But I digress, a matter for another thread methinks

I was saying Catholicism got better branding on purpose by changing popes.

I most certainly do care about needless animal cruelty, as any animal lover & dog owner would do....And as for alcohol abuse, my entire childhood was utterly affected & tainted by it.....Gambling has never been a real issue for me personally, but it most certainly has hurt & destroyed the lives of people close to me.

So much then for your 'You don't really give a fu**' hollow premise....Almost as vacuous as your pithy arm waving away in the first instance.

Your stories over the glorification of grog & footy mind me of the 1970's.....Sure, true then, but it's hardly an endearing nor sanctioned image nowadays....Not to mention the fact that it's hardly conducive to the high-level professionalism required by players to make it in today's game.

Now, as far as the football comparisons go, then this isn't really the thread for it, nor the board.....There are many other boards that cater for that particular topic....Lets just note here, that it merely serves as a nice little 'out' for you, as a supposed substantive clause in your counter-narrative in favour of this ginormous socially sanctioned piss-up.

At the moment your entire defence amounts to: But the AFL & footy are just as bad when it comes to the gambling & alcohol culture....That these issues are in no way specific to the Melbourne Cup.....True, but this thread aint about football, now is it?

The topic is the Melbourne Cup.....Try to stay relevant.

Yes, the topic is the Melbourne Cup. And the reasons for criticising it so much apply equally to plenty of other pursuits. You just happen to enjoy them.

You “care” enough to deride an entire industry and sport, yet can’t deride an almost identical one.

Why? Because you, yourself, enjoy it.

Face it, your laughable criticism of racing can basically be levelled at any major sport these days. For example, I don’t really like rugby league. But I’m not stupid enough to criticise it as alcohol pushing, gambling glorifying rubbish - even though it definitely does both those things. Because sports I love do exactly the same thing, so I can’t do so with any credibility.

What, I can ignore or tolerate things when it suits me, but others can’t just because the ball is a different shape?

It’s always the same thing at a basic level... some people just love to feel further morally evolved than the next man. So they choose a prism through which to express that, one that they just conveniently happen to not enjoy and can thus ignore without actually making any sacrifice. Yours is horse racing.

If you really wanted to prove a consistent and credible point, you’d talk and act the same way about footy. You don’t, of course. Blinkers on when it suits, pardon the pun.

Spare us the rubbish, please.

Yes, the topic is the Melbourne Cup. And the reasons for criticising it so much apply equally to plenty of other pursuits. You just happen to enjoy them.

You “care” enough to deride an entire industry and sport, yet can’t deride an almost identical one.

Face it, your laughable criticism of racing can basically be levelled at any major sport these days. For example, I don’t really like rugby league. But I’m not stupid enough to criticise it as alcohol pushing, gambling glorifying rubbish - even though it definitely does both those things. Because sports I love do exactly the same thing, so I can’t do so with any credibility.

What, I can ignore or tolerate things when it suits me, but others can’t just because the ball is a different shape?

It’s always the same thing at a basic level... some people just love to feel further morally evolved than the next man. So they choose a prism through which to express that, one that they just conveniently happen to not enjoy and can thus ignore without actually making any sacrifice. Yours is horse racing.

If you really wanted to prove a consistent and credible point, you’d talk and act the same way about footy. You don’t, of course. Blinkers on when it suits, pardon the pun.

Unfortunately we live in a time where people just want to find something to complain about and take the moral high ground and big note themselves wherever possible.

There's things that i don't like either but i don't go out of my way to get on my soap box and ruin things for others. I either go along with it if i have to or i ingore it. Simple!

The reality is that horse racing and the Melbourne Cup will always be here to stay just like many other things in society that people either like or dislike.

The way i see it is that these people that take it upon themselves to complain about everything must live pretty miserable lives and be horrible to be around. I'd hate to live my life like that.

So just more posturing, pivoting & deflecting to other sports as a defensive 'out'?....Really?

You can count the amount of threads I've posted on the GD board on one hand....If I feel passionately enough about a subject, or, in this case, watch a video that moves me enough to share it's message with others, then & only then will I feel moved enough to start a thread about it.

This thread isn't about Horse racing in general....It's about the Melbourne Cup in particular & that whole 'aura' of so-called 'culture' that surrounds it....Of demythologising it's image & high standing as something to be esteemed.....As so much propaganda to line the bookies pockets at the expense of the horses, the punters & the entire Nation for that matter.

Nothing to do with feeling morally superior or virtue signalling....But everything to do with lifting the veil on the ugly facts behind the glitz, the glamour & the entire façade, that we see plastered across our tv screens & newspapers....At the sight of dead horses being put down for a mere race of some 3,200 meters, of patrons pissed as mutes & feeling sanctioned to make complete ass-hats out of themselves...Of losing their dignity & the proceeds of their wallets into the bargain.

Is there another horse race in Australia that garners a public holiday & so captures the collective imagination?.....No.....So let us please stick to the topic at hand then.....No more of this silly deflection nonsense please.

So just more posturing, pivoting & deflecting to other sports as a defensive 'out'?....Really?

You can count the amount of threads I've posted on the GD board on one hand....If I feel passionately enough about a subject, or, in this case, watch a video that moves me enough to share it's message with others, then & only then will I feel moved enough to start a thread about it.

This thread isn't about Horse racing in general....It's about the Melbourne Cup in particular & that whole 'aura' of so-called 'culture' that surrounds it....Of demythologising it's image & high standing as something to be esteemed.....As so much propaganda to line the bookies pockets at the expense of the horses, the punters & the entire Nation for that matter.

Nothing to do with feeling morally superior or virtue signalling....But everything to do with lifting the veil on the ugly facts behind the glitz, the glamour & the entire façade, that we see plastered across our tv screens & newspapers....At the sight of dead horses being put down for a mere race of some 3,200 meters, of patrons pissed as mutes & feeling sanctioned to make complete ass-hats out of themselves...Of losing their dignity & the proceeds of their wallets into the bargain.

Is there another horse race in Australia that garners a public holiday & so captures the collective imagination?.....No.....So let us please stick to the topic at hand then.....No more of this silly deflection nonsense please.

What a load of complete and utter rubbish. Get over yourself. All you ever do on this site is complain about something or try and make yourself sound superior at any opportunity. If you only realised how much of a bore you are...

You can't compare the level of gambling in football to horse racing, so a criticism of gambling when it comes to horse racing does not "apply equally" to football, or any other sport that I can think of.

"Do you follow horse racing?" is synonomous to "Do you regularly gamble on horse racing?" I can honestly say I haven't met anyone who does the former and not the latter.

Football is clearly different. Obviously gambling is big business in the AFL, but it's certainly not a given that an AFL supporter would gamble regularly (or even at all) on AFL games.

So it IS the once a year, racing sucks thread!

You can't compare the level of gambling in football to horse racing, so a criticism of gambling when it comes to horse racing does not "apply equally" to football, or any other sport that I can think of.

"Do you follow horse racing?" is synonomous to "Do you regularly gamble on horse racing?" I can honestly say I haven't met anyone who does the former and not the latter.

Football is clearly different. Obviously gambling is big business in the AFL, but it's certainly not a given that an AFL supporter would gamble regularly (or even at all) on AFL games.

Well yes, but racing had about a 200 year head start when it comes to gambling.

In less than 20 years footy and other mainstream sports are already catching it at a rate of knots. If you think all sports aren’t headed the same way regarding gambling, think again. The trajectory makes it completely clear.

So you’re fine with racing, you’re just concerned with all the idiots and companies who attached themselves to it once a year to make a buck?

Whatever, to me it’s completely irrelevant.

Well yes, but racing had about a 200 year head start when it comes to gambling.

In less than 20 years footy and other mainstream sports are already catching it at a rate of knots. If you think all sports aren’t headed the same way regarding gambling, think again. The trajectory makes it completely clear.

I disagree. In team sports especially, people will always support a team first and foremost. Even when our own teams aren't playing, we'll follow games because the outcomes can often have consequences for our team.

In horse racing, people rarely latch on to a specific horse, jockey, owner, trainer: they temporarily put their allegiances with whatever they think will be a winning bet.

I can't see football ever getting to the stage where the standard for followers of the game will be to dispassionately look at the nine games coming up on the weekend and figure out what their bets are going to be. Sure, some people are probably wired like that, but I don't know any. I'd say our own teams' games command 80%+ of our interest most weeks and I can't see that ever drastically changing to our focus being shifted to a game because one of the teams looks like a good thing.

Football would still exist and thrive without gambling. Horse Racing would not.

Gambling is the complete reason Horse Racing is. To compare footy and Horse Racing on this factor is silly.

The Malbun Cup can be a fun day and does have historical significance in this country. As long people realise they are being taken for a ride by the racing industry, big business, gambling agencies, the Victorian Government and the media (Ch 7 Melbourne are possibly the most cringe worthy organisation in the universe), as long as people are happy with these factions taking their money and it brings them a feeling of being a part of something that for 364 days a year they don't care about, that's fine. Lighten up peeps.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back