Remove this Banner Ad

billyboutsis

All Australian
Sep 23, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Everton
Amazing how much theyve managed to screw this league up in the last 5-6 years.

Last edited:

Roos4eva

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2003
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Western United FC
Re: who intends on being a melbourne heart fan?

75% sure I'll support them.

The colours appear to be in the right direction (red and white), the potential players and already the coach looks promising, and as long as they don't call themselves Revolution (all other three names are fine by me, particularly Melburnians), then I'll definitely be supporting them.

If something puts me off them, then I might take on the Victory or even another side, but so far, so good.

MelbourneCrow

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Chelsea

Will it split along ethnic lines? I know the South Melbourne lot don't like the Victory, but I still see Greeks at Etihad. If the Greeks go for the new team, does that mean Serbs do too? And the Italians, Croats and Turks go for Victory? Where does that leave Poms and Aussies who say they have no ethnic ties?

Jun 28, 2006
NSW
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
THFC, MVFC

A true Victory fan wouldn't switch IMO. No disrespect intended.

thesquirrel

Debutant
May 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Heart, Chelsea, Avs

I've recently started to give it a lot greater consideration. A coach who looks like he knows how to get the job done, hopefully a good football operations manager in Didulica and potentially some promising big name signings as well.

Oh, and on top of that, I fancy the idea of following a team not prone to receiving 3 and 4 nil drubbings at home :p

Tom Blue

Team Captain
Dec 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Aston Villa

I will be.

Tried to support Victory, went to some games etc. but I didn't feel like it was my team. Didn't have any connection.

This team I've been following since I first heard about it. Really looking forward to next season.

JuDDysthacaptain

Team Captain
Jun 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea

Yeah i'm jumping on board, went to a couple of Victory games aswell didn't really appeal to me. Going to love the derby's also...

mark73

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 12, 2005
Seaside
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Will it split along ethnic lines? I know the South Melbourne lot don't like the Victory, but I still see Greeks at Etihad. If the Greeks go for the new team, does that mean Serbs do too? And the Italians, Croats and Turks go for Victory? Where does that leave Poms and Aussies who say they have no ethnic ties?

I think you're being a bit dramatic.

South Melbourne may have been predominantly Greek, but they were not a "hands off" to other people.

Was David Clarkson Greek?

Was Vaughn Coveny Greek?

Was Goran Lozanovski Greek?

The list goes on.

I realise a lot of football clubs in Australia in the past have been "ethnic based", the worst from what I understand were Sydney Utd. - if you weren't Italian you weren't welcome, although they still took the non Italian membership money proving all money is obviously green :rolleyes:, but the fact still remains, as I pointed out, if you're good enough to play at that level you'll get a gig.

MelbourneCrow

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Chelsea

I think you're being a bit dramatic.

South Melbourne may have been predominantly Greek, but they were not a "hands off" to other people.

Was David Clarkson Greek?

Was Vaughn Coveny Greek?

Was Goran Lozanovski Greek?

The list goes on.

I realise a lot of football clubs in Australia in the past have been "ethnic based", the worst from what I understand were Sydney Utd. - if you weren't Italian you weren't welcome, although they still took the non Italian membership money proving all money is obviously green :rolleyes:, but the fact still remains, as I pointed out, if you're good enough to play at that level you'll get a gig.

I don't think I was being dramatic - I was asking the questions not making too many statements.

And I meant would the fans from those ethnicities follow them, not would players choose their club on ethnic grounds.

twentydollarnote

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
tottenham

its possible with those groups still supported at state level thats why they should get rid of those teams. Its also strange how they let groups set up their groups at each ends like the victory seem to have done, even if its not ethnic seems a bit gay and might discourage the neutral. Whatever happened in season 2 victory was getting more neutrals to the game and since then they've lost their appeal despite playing well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

thebigboy

Premiership Player
Dec 20, 2005
Parkdale
AFL Club
Essendon

its possible with those groups still supported at state level thats why they should get rid of those teams. Its also strange how they let groups set up their groups at each ends like the victory seem to have done, even if its not ethnic seems a bit gay and might discourage the neutral. Whatever happened in season 2 victory was getting more neutrals to the game and since then they've lost their appeal despite playing well.

It was off the back of the World Cup so naturally more fans were always going to come. We just didn't capitalize enough on our success and fan interest.

Not sure how 2 supporter ends can be "gay"

MelbourneCrow

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Chelsea

Whatever happened in season 2 victory was getting more neutrals to the game and since then they've lost their appeal despite playing well.

Two things happened in Season 3...

1) the stadium started playing silly buggers with the fans and banned certain activities in the North End, then moved fans out of the South End after a near riot, which those of us brought up on going to The Den and Upton Park found laughable. This alienated bith fan groups to the extent that many stopped going that season.

2) the football was shyte and turned all but the hardened supporter off the club.

In Season 4 the membership dropped to 17,000 on the back of the previous season, but the crowds held up above the 20,000 mark every game because the football was for the most part good.

In season 5 the membership base has increased to over 20,000, but the crowds have all been under 20,000 except for the 30k vs Sydney and 21k vs Adelaide.

Looks like we basically have 30,000 fans who will turn up at least some of the time (but nowhere near every game). The new club needs to get into the hearts and minds of the 20,000 fans who have been to the Grand Finals but who are not Victory members or attendees now. Too small a base I reckon, and none of the blokes I go to games with would even consider changing to the new franchise. I am surprised so many on here would switch, and I think if someone can jump off one club so easily then they can do it again.

I reckon that unless the new team gets one or two (or more) sensational players their crowds will be really small. Then again I never thought the Victory would get much support so what do I know?

billyboutsis

All Australian
Sep 23, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Everton

yeah ok mate.

firstly, i think you should be more concerned the way you ferals treat interstate afl fans over there and the amount of fights which have broken out at aami stadium rather than being concerned about ethnic based teams in our state soccer leagues.

secondly, anyone with half a brain ( i know you are from adelaide so i understand) would realise that these supporter groups create a great atmosphere and add to the appeal of going to the game. do you honestly think that fcuktards waving their pom poms at the afl is the way to create a good atmosphere?

Dimenhydrinate

Club Legend
Jun 18, 2009

1) the stadium started playing silly buggers with the fans and banned certain activities in the North End, then moved fans out of the South End after a near riot, which those of us brought up on going to The Den and Upton Park found laughable. This alienated bith fan groups to the extent that many stopped going that season.

Yeah... that's not how it happened at all. The FFA introduced the HEM to gain more control over home end supporters, and part of that was shutting down the South End, simply for the sake of shutting it down and giving it to the away supporters. Needless to say, it looked bad when the entire SE moved to GA bays and the entire northern end of the stadium held ~30 travelling supporters.

pmad87

Club Legend
Feb 19, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

While a big crosstown rivalry could be a good thing, the last thing I want to see is the Hearts become the Port Adelaide of the A-league, with the majority of Melbourne hating them except for a small group of die hard fans. So I'm actually going to support both the Hearts and the Victory. I'll probably always favour the Victory when they play the Hearts, but I'll be just as happy with a Hearts win/premiership as a Victory win/premiership.

mark73

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 12, 2005
Seaside
AFL Club
North Melbourne

maybe you meant Marconi?

No I definitely meant Marconi. :)

IIRC there was some s**t a while back when Sydney Olympic were visited by some Croatian scouts with a view to get the poaching happening again. Although I suspect it will be a bit more difficult now with Australia's likely regular WC participation. Despite what their fans would have you believe, it wasn't quite the "national pride" aspect that they assumed, and certainly drove home.

twentydollarnote

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
tottenham

yeah ok mate.

firstly, i think you should be more concerned the way you ferals treat interstate afl fans over there and the amount of fights which have broken out at aami stadium rather than being concerned about ethnic based teams in our state soccer leagues.

secondly, anyone with half a brain ( i know you are from adelaide so i understand) would realise that these supporter groups create a great atmosphere and add to the appeal of going to the game. do you honestly think that fcuktards waving their pom poms at the afl is the way to create a good atmosphere?
my post wasnt correlating ethnic teams with violence (and your ammi stadium thing is rubbish btw), all i said is if the state leagues are fostering this culture its possible that they could take sides as unlikely as it is. As for supporter groups they are great when they work well (eg wellington and lesser extent perth) but when they are not run well there have been problems (CCM, adelaide and you guys). When the CCM had problems they actually got involved and cleaned it up probably something the victory should of done.

twentydollarnote

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
tottenham

Two things happened in Season 3...

2) the football was shyte and turned all but the hardened supporter off the club.

In Season 4 the membership dropped to 17,000 on the back of the previous season, but the crowds held up above the 20,000 mark every game because the football was for the most part good.

In season 5 the membership base has increased to over 20,000, but the crowds have all been under 20,000 except for the 30k vs Sydney and 21k vs Adelaide.

Looks like we basically have 30,000 fans who will turn up at least some of the time (but nowhere near every game). The new club needs to get into the hearts and minds of the 20,000 fans who have been to the Grand Finals but who are not Victory members or attendees now. Too small a base I reckon, and none of the blokes I go to games with would even consider changing to the new franchise. I am surprised so many on here would switch, and I think if someone can jump off one club so easily then they can do it again.

I reckon that unless the new team gets one or two (or more) sensational players their crowds will be really small. Then again I never thought the Victory would get much support so what do I know?
i think its unlikely many of those 20k would become hardcore members thats just part of the bandwagon element that the victory have failed to tap into since. If the new team can get some members from somewhere hopefully they can get things going and re-engage with bandwagoners and get a bit of a atmosphere going so it becomes an event a bit like friday night footy is with AFL.

Borgsta

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2003
Melb.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham, Orlando

my post wasnt correlating ethnic teams with violence (and your ammi stadium thing is rubbish btw), all i said is if the state leagues are fostering this culture its possible that they could take sides as unlikely as it is. As for supporter groups they are great when they work well (eg wellington and lesser extent perth) but when they are not run well there have been problems (CCM, adelaide and you guys). When the CCM had problems they actually got involved and cleaned it up probably something the victory should of done.

What exactly were the problems that the Victory had with their supporter groups?

twentydollarnote

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
tottenham

What exactly were the problems that the Victory had with their supporter groups?
You had supporter groups thinking they are more important than the team holding protests etc and theres the failure to create an atmosphere that gets the bandwagoner along after second season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back