The Melbourne City Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: who intends on being a melbourne heart fan?

the failure to create an atmosphere that gets the bandwagoner along after second season.

Laughable. Melbourne Victory have the biggest and loudest crowds in the land. I can't imagine any other A-League club with an atmosphere consistently as good as ours. It will only improve when we move to the new stadium too.

If anything, the atmosphere generated by both supporter groups has helped bring in more fans over the seasons.

Yeah... that's not how it happened at all. The FFA introduced the HEM to gain more control over home end supporters, and part of that was shutting down the South End, simply for the sake of shutting it down and giving it to the away supporters. Needless to say, it looked bad when the entire SE moved to GA bays and the entire northern end of the stadium held ~30 travelling supporters.

I think it's fairly different, in that Port Adelaide was already an established club in South Australia before their admission to the AFL. They were already hated, so there was minimal opportunity for new fans to jump on board. Melbourne "Hearts" are starting with a clean slate, although they have given the Victory a fair head start. But there is still potential for them to attract new support, as they will only be hated by the loyal Victory fans.

You're not serious about that, are you? :confused:

I'm not a Victory fan, but quite simply, the league would be ****ed without them.

I've gone to their games with some non-Soccer fans and even they admit that the atmosphere is second to none.

Even when it's only 17,000, the atmosphere is still fantastic.

Even when they're down 3-0, the atmosphere is still fantastic.

$20 has to be trolling.

If anyone had any doubts about the atmosphere at a Victory game, then I hoped they tuned in last night. Magic!

You're not serious about that, are you? :confused:
they chant a lot but obviously the fans dont like it as their crowds have kept sliding depsite performing well on field. Someone like wellington seems to have better support which gets everyone involved instead of having the supporters divided into groups like the victory.

they chant a lot but obviously the fans dont like it as their crowds have kept sliding depsite performing well on field. Someone like wellington seems to have better support which gets everyone involved instead of having the supporters divided into groups like the victory.

Perhaps you should have been there last night when they did the North, East, South, West chant.

Perhaps you should have been there last night when they did the North, East, South, West chant.
yeah i watched it the atmosphere as well as the game was really good but i thought it was probably more to do with the stadium which is top-class when configured like that.

Laughable. Melbourne Victory have the biggest and loudest crowds in the land. I can't imagine any other A-League club with an atmosphere consistently as good as ours. It will only improve when we move to the new stadium too.

If anything, the atmosphere generated by both supporter groups has helped bring in more fans over the seasons.

the opposite has happened the crowds have gone backwards (by quite a lot too) as the seasons progressed and 20k in comparison to adelaide's 12-15k is terrible for a city of melbournes size.

I should re-phrase that, as I acknowledge that the crowds are slowly dropping. I believe that without the presence of the two supporter groups and the atmosphere that they create, there would be much smaller crowds than there currently are. I went to all the matches during Season 3 when the NT were doing their silent protests and the South End were kicked out from their end. The atmosphere was non-existent, and I think that if that was a regular thing, then we certainly wouldn't be averaging 20k fans.

I find it quite strange that you have such strong opinions on Melbourne's crowds given that you do not support the club, nor do you live in the state. How would you know the reasons why the common Victory bandwagoner doesn't attend every game? How are you qualified to judge the impact that the supporter groups have on the appeal of Melbourne Victory to the common fan?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find it quite strange that you have such strong opinions on Melbourne's crowds given that you do not support the club, nor do you live in the state. How would you know the reasons why the common Victory bandwagoner doesn't attend every game? How are you qualified to judge the impact that the supporter groups have on the appeal of Melbourne Victory to the common fan?

He isn't qualified at all. Really not worth the effort arguing with him. He thinks he knows it all when he really knows f. all about it.

Was almost certainly going to support this team, but with the ridiculous amount of time it is taking to announce their name and colours - unless they're going to be called either Sporting Melbourne or Melburnians, then I'm probably not going to bother with them.

It's a shame, was getting excited about this side, but am losing interest quite fast, tbh.

I'm sure I'm not the only one of this belief.

Was almost certainly going to support this team, but with the ridiculous amount of time it is taking to announce their name and colours - unless they're going to be called either Sporting Melbourne or Melburnians, then I'm probably not going to bother with them.

It's a shame, was getting excited about this side, but am losing interest quite fast, tbh.

Unfortunatly your not the only one.

I know a fair few people who are thinking along the exact same lines as you.

You'd think that they'd want to get there image out there ASAP to try to compete with the Victory.

The FFA are the ones holding them back, all legal issues apparently.
I have heard other rumours that they are waiting for JVS to get back from his European scouting trip so they can announce the name and show the new kit and logo to the marquee player from Europe they signed?

All this should be done his week, if it isn't the Heart Syn should be asking alot of questions to the FFA as to why.

The FFA are the ones holding them back, all legal issues apparently.
I have heard other rumours that they are waiting for JVS to get back from his European scouting trip so they can announce the name and show the new kit and logo to the marquee player from Europe they signed?

All this should be done his week, if it isn't the Heart Syn should be asking alot of questions to the FFA as to why.

bahahaha. I've been hearing for 6 months now that they will announce the name/colours this week.

I wait with baited breath...

Hear ye, hear ye.

Somes up my feelings on the matter to a T.

no offence but if you guys/gals are turned off so easily then none of you were probably going to become a members/supporters they need longterm anyway.

Little bit off the subject but I thought I would post it here rather than starting another thread. Not sure about this but have I heard that there is another team joining the A-league next season or is it ONLY Melbourne Heart...meaning that we are going to be having byes next season?

Little bit off the subject but I thought I would post it here rather than starting another thread. Not sure about this but have I heard that there is another team joining the A-league next season or is it ONLY Melbourne Heart...meaning that we are going to be having byes next season?

The 12th team, Sydney Rovers, are entering the comp in 2011-12, the season after next. So, yes, there will be 11 teams and byes next season.

profile11.jpg

got this emailed to me by someone at the club.

looks unbelievable:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

I like it. Sporting Melbourne was the best name IMO and although the nickname seems a bit dodgy (The Bats?:eek:) I reckon it could work. The colours and strip look good too.:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Although are you sure this is the confirmed package?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back