The Melbourne City Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Hate to offer up an average pun but it was a tale of two cities. First half was unreal. Second was what we've dished up the past two weeks.

Another classic game of Melbourne City Monopoly

images

I reiterate my comments about Delbridge. What a Gumby

Bouzanis is still a spud, lel

I think the main reason why we won the game is because our attacking mids clicked, Noone in particular. We got into good positions and took our chances. On Sunday we simply had bugger all quality chances, they were all speculative at best.

Need to get better when we don't have the ball.

Let’s give Gauci a run next week. Sending Deano out is like watching a train wreck. Luckily not tonight but will keep costing us points unless he improves significantly.
It would be great if we had a decent goalkeeper in their prime for a few years, not ageing declining goalkeepers like Galekovic, Sorensen and Bolton (who were obviously very solid when younger)

It would be great if we had a decent goalkeeper in their prime for a few years, not ageing declining goalkeepers like Galekovic, Sorensen and Bolton (who were obviously very solid when younger)
We did. He now plays for Sydney FC and is on form the best GK in the comp.
And we had Tando Velaphi.
We currently have a beauty in the making. DB is fortunate he is away with the youth team for a few weeks.
And those 3 mature GK's you referred to were superb. Bolton was best player for 2 seasons- not past it, EG's last season also best player, and Sorensen was more than serviceable.
GK seems to be an area we have historically not struggled with.

Since a family member is a Melbourne City fan across A League and W League, I am now watching more City games than any other club.

Last time I checked (which was a while ago), Bouzanis had been replaced as keeper. Why was he starting last night? Cost a goal with a terrible penalty and owed his defence a few beers for goal line clearances in the first half.

I was surprised with the amount of space United gave to Noone. All he had to do was hug the sideline and no United player went near him. Really felt that if United tightened on him, City would not be so dangerous, especially in the first half.

As I mentioned in the weekly thread, our junior club picked up a cash grant from Hyundai which increased with each goal City scored. Too bad a couple of those shots didn't find the back of the net.

Let’s also not forget another current a-league GK who was very serviceable called Mark Birighitti, who just never really got a look in, and should have been our number 1 this season with Eugene retiring. Having Bouzanis ahead of him then letting him go is still a head scratcher to me.

Last time I checked (which was a while ago), Bouzanis had been replaced as keeper. Why was he starting last night? Cost a goal with a terrible penalty and owed his defence a few beers for goal line clearances in the first half.
Several of our squad are currently unavailable because they are travelling with the Australian youth team, including Glover who on form is clearly our best keeper. Think they return after 2 more games.

Since a family member is a Melbourne City fan across A League and W League, I am now watching more City games than any other club.

I was surprised with the amount of space United gave to Noone. All he had to do was hug the sideline and no United player went near him. Really felt that if United tightened on him, City would not be so dangerous, especially in the first half.

As I mentioned in the weekly thread, our junior club picked up a cash grant from Hyundai which increased with each goal City scored. Too bad a couple of those shots didn't find the back of the net.

We lost a few players to Olyroos duties.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let’s also not forget another current a-league GK who was very serviceable called Mark Birighitti, who just never really got a look in, and should have been our number 1 this season with Eugene retiring. Having Bouzanis ahead of him then letting him go is still a head scratcher to me.
These players jump at what looks to be a greener pasture. I doubt the club would have preferred Bouzanis. Not that Bouzanis is a dud- he has ability.

We did. He now plays for Sydney FC and is on form the best GK in the comp.
He was a spud for us
And we had Tando Velaphi.
He was undervalued imo
We currently have a beauty in the making. DB is fortunate he is away with the youth team for a few weeks.
And those 3 mature GK's you referred to were superb. Bolton was best player for 2 seasons- not past it, EG's last season also best player, and Sorensen was more than serviceable.
GK seems to be an area we have historically not struggled with.
Imo you're overvaluing our keepers

1. He was a spud for us

2. He was undervalued imo

3. Imo you're overvaluing our keepers
1. Is no longer. Just needed time. Patience
2. Agreed.
3. Easier not to. They were ok. Certainly never a reason for our ladder position or finals performances.

Luna is being underrated by fellow MC fans, and rest of the A League community.

Smashing and damaging player. I like the cut of his jib
Need to find his best position, I'm not sure if it's as a wide forward or as a ten, but he clearly knows how to move around and finish

Need to find his best position
Excepting that Glover is our best keeper and McLaren is our No.1 striker, we don't know the rest of our best 11 or where their best positions are.

From week to week, we overhaul the look of our team and it is holding us back from getting into top gear.

Sydney appeared so much more stable and regularly knew who was going to make a run and where to. Because we keep changing the lineup, the players haven't developed any consistent chemistry in the forward half.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back