The Melbourne City Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

He concedes the more goals at his near post than I have ever seen any other keeper concede. I think we'll rue the decision not to play Birighetti at all last season

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Great use of initiative to get the winner when a man down, I don't think our squad is that good compared to what Joyce had and squandered, but we've at least got a guy who can find the back of the net and a guy who can coach

Now to find a few more players to get us into premiership contention

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apart from the defensive lapses that both lead to goals, we played well. Bouzanis still a liability. Possibly still need to be a bit more direct around the box and take the shot earlier. Kids did all right. VAR call was iffy but that’s football. Possibly the ref thought the arm was raised deliberately?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great to see we can score without McLaren on the park. Best game from Bouzanis this season, someone must have finally told him he can actually punch to the ball. Couple of defensive brain farts gave away two soft goals but we should probably have scored 4 or 5 ourselves.

Oh yes that was GOOD!!!
Very good offensive game from Curtis tonight

Love that through ball he played that put Metcalfe on his way to setting up the low cross for Luna, something I'd expect from a world class CB like Jan Vertonghen to do, not a journeyman like Good.

Metcalfe looked great in that attacking central mid area, keep playing the kid, very neat on the ball for A League standards. Good to see Luna get a goal.

Still don't see much with Wales, he tries hard but he's far too clumsy and needs to work on his skills and technique.

Noone and Brilliante were solid tonight too. Noone's first half in particular pretty good, aside from that one that he skewed off his outstep.

Good team performance, can work on a few things, like the odd clumsiness on the ball, but really happy with Mombaerts at the moment, good structural game plan. Looks like he changes his front 3/4 around to keep opposition guessing when Maclaren isn't there, like Noone/Wales swapping wings or playing centrally. Will be interesting to see what happens when we are challenged or need to chase a game though, but until then, keep on banking them 3 points :)

Solid win. Disappointing to concede at the end, but the game was over. Great to win in the anniversary match, with Curtis getting the first. Nice to see Rostyn finally get one too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure Luna really should have been man of the match but certainly got better as the game went on and started to look comfortable as a striker after a while. Hopefully gets some more confidence from getting his first goal.
Shocking weather and well who knows what to expect from the mariners sometimes, happy enough to take the 3 points from that and on we move to our first trip out of Victoria for the season.

Not sure Luna really should have been man of the match but certainly got better as the game went on and started to look comfortable as a striker after a while. Hopefully gets some more confidence from getting his first goal.
Shocking weather and well who knows what to expect from the mariners sometimes, happy enough to take the 3 points from that and on we move to our first trip out of Victoria for the season.
Yeah MOTM easily had to have been Good or Metcalfe

Good all round team performance. Only weak links were Bouzanis and Wales, thought everyone else contributed really well.

Metcalfe looks destined for a higher league than the A-League, kid looks elite out there.

Luna could be quite the handy signing if he keeps his form up.

Would have been nice to have a kept clean sheet, but that was as commanding a performance I have seen from us at home in a while, and it's grèat that we have other avenues to score without J-Mac.

This mob has let me down almost as often as Carlton in the past decade, so I am not getting too excited, but geez it is a very solid start to the season.

We really need to beat the Smurfs though if we are bona fide silverwear contenders this season. Sydney still (imo) are the team to beat this season.

Also loved the boys wearinf the Red and White kit, I don't mind the Sky blue, but as a traditionalist I am a sucker for our foundation colours.

Last night also means 4 league wins in a row for the first time since wazza’s first 4 games in charge.
Yikes that feels like a lifetime ago that we were 4 straight wins to start that season and hoping wazza might lead us to the promised land.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back