The Melbourne City Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The juggernaut is rolling, even in the first weeks of the season where and we lost a stack of games we still looked good and created more than enough chances.

The Sydney result was just as impressive, since inception that would have been us conceeding a late goal after controlling the game.

Loved that we put the foot down in the last 15 mins. Brebner has been sacked, lucky for the Victory theres no 3rd derby this year as we were trending to 8-0.

go you pups have we ever been on top of both the AFL and A-League ladders at the same time before?

I'd say City would be lucky to have finished a round on top of the table more than three times since joining the comp and - all due respect - prior to this year I'm not sure it would have happened much more with the Bulldogs over that period.

Given the usual timing of the respective seasons over the A-League's history have only overlapped for about a third of the season (i.e. the A-League's competition has generally been the BBL and NBL, not the AFL and NRL) and I can't really remember the Bulldogs threatening for top four in the back half of the season in the last decade (let alone top spot) it's pretty much impossible.

The juggernaut is rolling, even in the first weeks of the season where and we lost a stack of games we still looked good and created more than enough chances.

The Sydney result was just as impressive, since inception that would have been us conceeding a late goal after controlling the game.

Loved that we put the foot down in the last 15 mins. Brebner has been sacked, lucky for the Victory theres no 3rd derby this year as we were trending to 8-0.
I think there is a third game, someone was saying yesterday at the game. Season may be extended ?

I'd say City would be lucky to have finished a round on top of the table more than three times since joining the comp and - all due respect - prior to this year I'm not sure it would have happened much more with the Bulldogs over that period.

Given the usual timing of the respective seasons over the A-League's history have only overlapped for about a third of the season (i.e. the A-League's competition has generally been the BBL and NBL, not the AFL and NRL) and I can't really remember the Bulldogs threatening for top four in the back half of the season in the last decade (let alone top spot) it's pretty much impossible.
First 2 weeks of 2016 we were top, then was 3rd or 4th for most of the HnAs until we copped a stack of injuries against St Kilda and Geelong around rounds 17-18 and fell back to 7th. Top 7 sides won 15-17 games that year, we're the only team to finish 7th with 15 wins, quite a few have came 5th or 6th with 15 wins though since the league expanded top 18 sides, Richmond, Geelong, West Coast and Adelaide to name a few.

First 2 weeks of 2016 we were top, then was 3rd or 4th for most of the HnAs until we copped a stack of injuries against St Kilda and Geelong around rounds 17-18 and fell back to 7th. Top 7 sides won 15-17 games that year, we're the only team to finish 7th with 15 wins, quite a few have came 5th or 6th with 15 wins though since the league expanded top 18 sides, Richmond, Geelong, West Coast and Adelaide to name a few.

Yeah, no disrespect intended. My post was more a comment off the top of my head that if either City or the Bulldogs had been in top spot at some stage of their respective seasons in the past decade, it's probably/generally been in the first third of season, so the timing wouldn't have overlapped.

With City at least, while we've consistently finished around the third/fourth mark in recent years, it's been very distant from top spot and we weren't a serious challenger for that crown (which of course is much more meaningful than in the AFL).

And - you know what? It looks like I was actually wrong. On further research, I think it has happened. The one time I can remember us having a serious claim for top spot in the final stages of the season was at the height of the Mooy/Fornaroli /Novillo/Sorensen days, when we hit the top of the table for one week with a fortnight left in the season, then promptly lost our final two games and finished fourth.

But that lone Autumn week (round 25) where City has been on top of the table (I'll bet it's the only time in our history) looks like it coincided with round 1 of the 2016 AFL season, where the Bulldogs slaughtered Fremantle to join City at the top of their respective leagues. So there you go...

JMac had a few chances, Conner almost got a brace. 3 points gone missing.

In saying that it had been our worst result in a 'milestone' game ( 300 A-League games for City/Heart)

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

Macarthur played well. Had a good system and plan to stop us from playing our natural game. They rode their luck and got a point.

I was ok with that. JMac looked a bit off, but we created enough to win.

All teams will drop points in the run home, so wasn't shocked to see Adelaide fall to Wellington.

Looking forward to going in person on Thursday night against the Jets!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could have bagged a few more, but happy overall. Played them off the park for the majority of the game.

Premiers plate is the main goal this season, we're going to lose half the squad come finals time for the Olympics 😡

It's great that we are not the finished product, that we get 3 points against a team that has had our measure, that we have McLaren, that we have such great structure that we can win without Nabbout and our coach, and that we did not succumb to fatigue and travel. Awesome result.

2 good wins this round against 2 poor teams. In a week where the pack faltered - we prevailed.

We've got Brisbane twice in the next 5 games. I think they're a smoky for 2nd spot, so a critical game on Sunday to keep our lead at that top

It's great that we are not the finished product, that we get 3 points against a team that has had our measure, that we have McLaren, that we have such great structure that we can win without Nabbout and our coach, and that we did not succumb to fatigue and travel. Awesome result.

Tilio and Cola are young guns are pretty amazing to bring off the the bench

Early start for work so I couldn’t stay up to watch. So pleased to see another win chalked up against a team that has bothered us in recent seasons.

Plenty of bother from them in the first half. Was happy we didn't concede a 2nd late in the game as we'd controlled most of it - it would have them been under siege for the closing moments

Last few weeks have been kind to us (or highlights how good we've been playing).

Last 5 games:
  • City 13 points
  • Bris 10
  • PHX 9
  • WSW 7
  • Mac, Syd & Ade 6
  • CCM 3
9 points clear at the top! The win over the Roar has set us up only needing 10 points or less (when the chasing pack drops points) to seal the premiers plate.

We're not unbeatable, but pretty darn good - games we've lost (or dropped points in) we've had great opportunities (and often dominate the chances but just aren't clinical).

We could have been 3 or 4 clear in that opening 30 mins before Brisbane scored, so it was pleasing to see us grind out the win, when we could have easily dropped points.

In more great news, we won't have the squad pillaged at finals time for the Socceroos Olympic campaign! So we'll have a real crack at the Championship!

In more great news, we won't have the squad pillaged at finals time for the Socceroos Olympic campaign! So we'll have a real crack at the Championship!

Not entirely true, this is just the Olyroos stuff, all players can be chosen for the Socceroos WC qualifiers which means we'll still be losing key players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back