The Melbourne City Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Second best all night. Hate to say it, but Western United walloped City in the first half and held on stoutly in the second half.
Yep we gave it a crack but just couldn't break them open. At least we have the back to back premiers as some reward for a good season. Was always worried about finals as we were really running out of puff after our backended season caught up with us.

In the end still pretty happy and proud of the boys. Hopefully we can fill some gaps in the side and go again next season!

Yep we gave it a crack but just couldn't break them open. At least we have the back to back premiers as some reward for a good season. Was always worried about finals as we were really running out of puff after our backended season caught up with us.

In the end still pretty happy and proud of the boys. Hopefully we can fill some gaps in the side and go again next season!
Great summary.
Must admit that there was a bit of deja-vu . Every time we have played them, we can dominate possession and forward thrusts, but they are more clinical with their scoring. They certainly deserved the GF win, and we can be proud of being the team to beat 3 years in a row.
No Diamanti didn't seem to bother them. Glad for John Aloisi and Kilkenny, and really glad it wasn't MV winning tonight. WU have made it and they are a pleasing club to compete against.
Both teams (and MV) involved in the ACL next season.

Too many kind words. End of the day this was a pathetic performance. Team has barely been at the required level for months.

Embarrassing grand final performance.

Too many kind words. End of the day this was a pathetic performance. Team has barely been at the required level for months.

they smashed MV 3-1
We now have a new best team (WU) and that's how it goes- look at Sydney FC this year- that was embarrassing- how not to handle the stress of ACL

they smashed MV 3-1
We now have a new best team (WU) and that's how it goes- look at Sydney FC this year- that was embarrassing- how not to handle the stress of ACL

And we finished top and took out a very good Adelaide team.

Sugar coat it as much as you like, City was s**t last night.

And we finished top and took out a very good Adelaide team.

Sugar coat it as much as you like, City was s**t last night.
We were stuffed, yet still dominated second half. If we were shite, they made us look that way.
It's all about peak at the right time, and we had no chance to peak.
If I ran the A-League, ACL should start in 2 weeks, not having teams play 2-3 games a week in season to accommodate that ACL. Then 6 games in 18 days is reasonable challenge post finals.
We do not have the depth of lists that EPL teams have, nor the numbers, and it showed. Sydney could not even make top 6. All tdeams that played in ACL bombed out. Interesting that the fresh and hungry WU were not involved. Let's see how they handle that load next year if they qualify. That all said, at halfway they were on top of the table, and the fact that we were comprehensively unable to beat them once/4 times this season is significant. They have our measure. They fully deserve the title. Rapt for JA.

Last edited:
We were stuffed, yet still dominated second half. If we were shite, they made us look that way.
It's all about peak at the right time, and we had no chance to peak.
If I ran the A-League, ACL should start in 2 weeks, not having teams play 2-3 games a week in season to accommodate that ACL. Then 6 games in 18 days is reasonable challenge post finals.
We do not have the depth of lists that EPL teams have, nor the numbers, and it showed. Sydney could not even make top 6. All tdeams that played in ACL bombed out. Interesting that the fresh and hungry WU were not involved. Let's see how they handle that load next year if they qualify. That all said, at halfway they were on top of the table, and the fact that we were comprehensively unable to beat them once/4 times this season is significant. They have our measure. They fully deserve the title. Rapt for JA.
I think Aloisi gets a bit unfairly maligned for his time in charge here.

My recollections are that his style of play (hoofing it out from the back and hoping our attackers could create something in the air) was underwhelming but my main memory of that era is our forwards squandering pretty much every chance they had, led by the 'Maltese Messi'.

Aloisi compounded it by being too nice in his post game interviews always pointing to our bad luck, when a few players needed the old Blighty treatment.

It really wasn't that bad. They got a lucky own goal at the start, and cemented their lead with a good goal. It's not like we got dominated. Wish PK made more changes and sooner. That's probably it really.

We were in control in the second half but just couldn't take our chances, which has been a problem all year. We didn't take our chances, they did. Same thing happened to Liverpool this morning. It's just part of the sport. Better teams drop games all the time. It's why I find the finishing top of the league a better trophy than the elimination format.

It happens, in fact it basically happens every time. No team has done the back to back double. Just keen for next season.

It really wasn't that bad. They got a lucky own goal at the start, and cemented their lead with a good goal. It's not like we got dominated. Wish PK made more changes and sooner. That's probably it really.

We were in control in the second half but just couldn't take our chances, which has been a problem all year. We didn't take our chances, they did. Same thing happened to Liverpool this morning. It's just part of the sport. Better teams drop games all the time. It's why I find the finishing top of the league a better trophy than the elimination format.

It happens, in fact it basically happens every time. No team has done the back to back double. Just keen for next season.
few changes as always

The crowd around me was chanting for Tilio a good 10 minutes before Kisnorbo brought him on. I did think during Saturday that it was a little bizarre that Kisnorbo chose to go with Reis, Good and Griffiths in the same team from the start. It seemed a little defensive to me.

I wonder what the off-season will bring.

Leckie is undoubtedly on a good wicket and yet I feel like he disappointed, by and large. Nabbout is good for the odd screamer once or twice a season, and he undoubtedly creates issues for defenders when he runs with the ball at his feet (though I thought Garuccio did a pretty good job matched up against Nabbout during the grand final) but his crossing isn't consistent.

Jamieson is getting on. Not sure what Reis' contract status is for next season. Already lost O'Neil from the team (would have been useful in the grand final) to overseas. I'd speculate that Metcalfe wouldn't turn down an opportunity to move abroad if it presented itself to him. Maclaren is a predator in the A-League, but he does shoulder a fair amount of the burden for scoring given the way City set up so if he goes cold, City tends to go cold as well.

Colakovski went backwards this season.

I wonder how much longer Tilio is prepared to be mostly a substitute for City.

City spent on bringing in Pucciarelli who did two-fifths of SFA this season, and then brought in Endoh, who didn't do much more.

Berenguer was a bright spot this season, but turns 34 next April, so one wonders how long he has left.

Saturday wasn't PK finest coaching performance, or our playing performance. Just not be a good day at the office.

We lost the big moments. Crap start with the early goal, the absolute worst thing to happen against a team that is super comfortable playing with a 1-0 lead and taking it all the way.

Crazy/unlucky/unfortunate/chaotic/freakish (pick your word) scenario with the 2nd goal. Aside from those moments, nothing much else to speak of down back.

I felt we've got the talent to bring it back, if we could get the first goal we'd get a 2nd.

Cross bar and, a great save from Young and we we're pretty ordinary at creating really great openings.

Felt the squad was gassed after Asia, and pretty unlucky once we got back. I think we hit the woodwork 7 times (might have been more) in the games against Perth Wellington Adelaide X2 and WU - for only 3 goals. Totally lost our attacking mojo.

I was happy with the team selection. I don't mind going defensive early, getting in to the game and making attacking subs, but it felt like the horse had bolted. No Cola or Bos - 2 bright energetic young talents when you need a spark, we got stuck with the Nabbot crap show - when his on he's super talented, but that was a pretty rubbish outing.

So big questions for next season.....

The crowd around me was chanting for Tilio a good 10 minutes before Kisnorbo brought him on. I did think during Saturday that it was a little bizarre that Kisnorbo chose to go with Reis, Good and Griffiths in the same team from the start. It seemed a little defensive to me.

Leckie is undoubtedly on a good wicket and yet I feel like he disappointed, by and large. Nabbout is good for the odd screamer once or twice a season, and he undoubtedly creates issues for defenders when he runs with the ball at his feet (though I thought Garuccio did a pretty good job matched up against Nabbout during the grand final) but his crossing isn't consistent.

Jamieson is getting on. Not sure what Reis' contract status is for next season. Already lost O'Neil from the team (would have been useful in the grand final) to overseas. I'd speculate that Metcalfe wouldn't turn down an opportunity to move abroad if it presented itself to him. Maclaren is a predator in the A-League, but he does shoulder a fair amount of the burden for scoring given the way City set up so if he goes cold, City tends to go cold as well.

City spent on bringing in Pucciarelli who did two-fifths of SFA this season, and then brought in Endoh, who didn't do much more.

Berenguer was a bright spot this season, but turns 34 next April, so one wonders how long he has left.
Great summary.
Didn't hear about AO'N- I feel his loss was the most costly this season. Irreplaceable potency, speed and hard at it.

Metcalfe already going to Germany next year. I am sure Tilio will get more game time next year.

I agree with everything you said though. The thing is we don't really need to change the world. Just tweak a few things. We have plenty of young talent with another season under their belts. We finished top of the league with very average form for 2/3rds of the season.

Hopefully Asian champions won't be so weird so we don't outright leave the nation for a month next year with Covid restrictions easing. Also hoping we don't get half of our games cancelled because of covid outbreaks too.

However you can never guarantee success, especially in the Aleague where having money doesn't just allow you to challenge most years. I am very much just enjoying the good times while they last. And even though we lost the Grand Final overall I had a great time this year, got to celebrate a trophy too. Which remember we never really had a chance to do until last year (apart from the FFA cup in 2016).

We seem to be a well run club with good development. Hoping we can continue our good run and be right in the mix for all 3 trophies next year. Will have to see what the team looks like before we know what to expect!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More questions than answers after this season. Time will tell how we recruit, who we lose, and whether the novelty of the move to Casey Fields does not wear thin. MC is really well run, and success is the City way.

Can't blame him. PKs aversion to subs really held him back.

Should have been on in the GF for the last 20 in place of Nabbot imo.

I'm disappointed as with the right development he has the potential to be a great player.

Will keep a close eye on Colakovski.

Hope he does well. He deserves more time than he got. However when he did get time he didn't impress.

Don't think anyone is the bad guy here really. PK could have used the bench more which has been my main complaint for the past season.

Here comes the new signings.... Another attacking midfielder. Where are we going to play them all 🤣

Lots have left. Need to replace Metcalf, Colakovski, Atkinson... Atkinson left a while ago but yet to be replaced

Remove this Banner Ad

Back