No Oppo Supporters The Melt Thread - 2019 Edition (Rules Strictly Enforced - See Post 1)

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Far be it from me to get in the way of a good melt but I seem to recall the AFL brought the no throwing stuff at the goalkicker after someone pegged their mouth guard at them maybe around the early 2000's

Daddoo

Master Chef
Oct 31, 2015
Chicago
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers Milwaukee Brewers
So when Freo play the Crows and have a
Maybe it’s just me but some games these days are just so boring it’s unwatchable and then others are unwatchable due to the poor or biased umpiring.

You literally are describing the NFL and the reason I started watching footy in 2012. I almost can't get through most games....my kids laugh at me when I watch Packer games because after every fu**** yellow flag is thrown, I yell at the TV. You almost can't touch anybody anymore. I want to see the one-on-one battles. NFL should just call the penalties what they are: "Illegal touching", "Illegally getting in the way of someone and touching them", "Illegally trying to go for the ball and then touching someone", "Illegally trying to out-compete someone and touching them illegally", "illegally trying to tackle someone and accidentally touching them", "Trying to block a kick and illegally touching someone" Drives me flipping nuts. I've been a Packers season ticket holder since 1993 but I've sold my tickets to family for the past 6+ years (basically since I started watching footy seriously). They've changed the rules to favor offense and for player safety yet it's made the games unwatchable... I know it's not PC to say I don't care about player safety, but they're getting millions of dollars a year for putting their bodies on the line. People working other "high-risk" jobs such as in mines or with asbestos get well paid (not as much as a football player, but you get my point). You get compensated for the risk you're taking. If you don't want the risk, don't play the game. But to change the rules to favor player safety has made the sport worse off imo.

I don't have the perspective as most people on here because of how little I've been watching the sport, but the AFL reminds me a bit of the NFL 20+ years ago. I hope hope hope hope it doesn't go down that same route. I used to love the NFL in the 80's and early 90's. Now its a joke. I'd take the crappiest afl game like North Melbourne vs Carlton over any NFL game.

The 6-6-6 rule has done little to nothing to improve the product, and it's been well documented that scoring is the lowest its been in a long time. The reporting/tribunal process is already a joke (little "gaz" is a nice guy so he should get off, right? Fyfe? He gets a week. FFS...) So, AFL, STOP fu**** with the rules for a while and let the new rules play themselves out for a bit. Otherwise, you're gonna end up like the NFL and I don't want that! Rant over!

Moonrat

Team Captain
Sep 9, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Brought in the no throwing stuff rule in early 2000's?
How? When? Who says so? Is it documented?

It isn't in the rules. Why didn't they put it in the rules?

Early 2000's? Brad Hill isn't gonna remember some AFL media statement from the early 2000's lol

Sham sham sham!!!!

trentjac

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Michael Walters is really starting to piss me off. Plays for free kicks way too often.

Drop him from the leadership group until he's learnt his lesson.

Disgusting.
i have said this for a very long time. He needs to play the game with a level of hardness and not play for free’s. we bag on the like of shuey and darling but Walters has them both in spades

beetz

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 30, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Another putrid and gutless performance from our lot. Honestly it gets harder and harder to keep the faith when they just spit in your face.

Richmond were down some of the games best players and we absolutely s**t the bed. AT HOME! Not to mention they were down 2 rotations at he half and still out run us. Absolute insipid performance.

Fyfe, as usual, carried the team as best he can.

Lobb I thought I was ok but had an opportunity to monster it in the ruck but didn’t take it.

Now.....

Brayshaw and Cerra: harsh because they’re young and learning but they have some of the worst disposal I have ever seen. Not sure how they were top 5 picks.

BHill: fairweather footy player. When the going gets tough he is no where to be seen. Very soft as well. Hates the hard stuff.

Wilson: poor game by him. Back to his round 1-3 form.

Walters: not sure how this clown doesn’t realise that diving and playing for kicks is not working. In fact, it’s costing him actual free kicks.

Taberner: arguably the dumbest footballer alive. He does not have the IQ nor the skill level (except contested marking) to be an AFL player. Just another Casboult type.

Hogan: lacked enthusiasm. Hates chasing. Not worth the coin yet.

Colyer: he should be banished and never seen again. He had at least 20 turnovers! One of the worst performances I have ever seen.

Ross: competely out coached. The game plan has been worked out but as per usual he is too stubborn to change it. Just have to zone it up, force Freo to chip around and just wait until they miss a target which is usually pretty quick and then hit them on the rebound. Plus clog the forward line and force all of our key forwards to compete for the same entry.

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Our list management is garbage. Why do we have Jones and Meek on our list at all if we are going to then play a second stringer in Lobb in the ruck? It can only mean they are third stringers or worse. Utter space wasters.

Jan 14, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle
That wasa really disappointing game. I am sharpening up the pitchfork.

And my chips had to much **cken salt on them and I spilt tomato sauce on my new jumper. Couldnt get a seat in the River room and there was an accident on the freeway at Safety bay road and the trip in took us over 2 hours. Stuff the AFL, inconsiderate drivers having accidents and who ever puts the salt on the chips in the River room stuff you to.

Aug 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
And my chips had to much **cken salt on them and I spilt tomato sauce on my new jumper. Couldnt get a seat in the River room and there was an accident on the freeway at Safety bay road and the trip in took us over 2 hours. Stuff the AFL, inconsiderate drivers having accidents and who ever puts the salt on the chips in the River room stuff you to.
Sit on the window sill in the river room. Pretty comfy.

Jun 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Our list management is garbage. Why do we have Jones and Meek on our list at all if we are going to then play a second stringer in Lobb in the ruck? It can only mean they are third stringers or worse. Utter space wasters.

Lobb was close to worst on ground last week and despite his stats yesterday I wouldn't put him far off that again. He was deadset rucking most of the game against the equivalent of Matt Taberner and Joel Hamling yet couldn't dominate like any other number one ruck in the league would. Players had quieter games yesterday but given the role I would put Lobb as the most disappointing.

He should have smashed Balta and Broad which might have forced Richmond to put Lynch in the ruck taking away a huge threat, but instead he barely breaks even. Disgusting.

MrDanggazz

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
We will continue to go nowhere with Ross as coach, he is to scared to make the big calls or take risks or even just ******* play attacking footy. Instead of taking to Richmond with a run and gun play style, it felt like no one even wanted the ******* ball and our forwards have no damn clue what they are doing. Ross has no clue how to coach against any half decent coach, any time we win it just feels like the players are taking control and taking the game on. I don't blame the players at all, the development of Brayshaw and Cerra has been poorly done as at this very moment I don't know how they were top 5 picks with how bad their skills are. This is a club defining moment for us, if we want to be taken seriously changes need to be made.

Freo88

Club Legend
Jan 17, 2011
Up North
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dallas Stars & Fulham-the other FFC
Agree with most of the above - the development of our 2 top 5 picks is so so concerning at the moment. Resources need to be pumped into that area asap. Meanwhile Aaron Naughton is smashing it for the dogs.

I get that you give young blokes time to come on and build some consistency but they should be at least showing something - even if its a decent kick every now and then.

Freo88

Club Legend
Jan 17, 2011
Up North
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
And another thing, it would be nice if for just 1 year Fyfe escaped scrutiny from the MRP. He really should be getting a week for the elbow - there was absolutely no need for it.

Sep 2, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NUFC , Pistons , Lions
As a Victorian based freo fan been waiting 2 months for their first visit here... By time it comes around the wheels are starting to fall off and most likely going to be without Fyfe :( Hope i see 1 win here this year

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Agree with most of the above - the development of our 2 top 5 picks is so so concerning at the moment. Resources need to be pumped into that area asap. Meanwhile Aaron Naughton is smashing it for the dogs.

I get that you give young blokes time to come on and build some consistency but they should be at least showing something - even if its a decent kick every now and then.

I thought they were both very good just last week. Probably should've been managed after the hard slog though?

Freo88

Club Legend
Jan 17, 2011
Up North
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I thought they were both very good just last week. Probably should've been managed after the hard slog though?
Brayshaw's disposal is a concern IMO. I'm sure it's a confidence thing but he seems to look backwards first for the safe option when he gets the ball. Coaches should be encouraging him to go for his kicks.

Jun 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
If Walters put the effort into chasing that he does in playing for free kicks his opponent wouldn't make 5 rebounds from the back line every game. Trying to turn into Lindsay Thomas.

It's really really annoying and is hurting his game! Umps clearly know he stages so he is unlikely to get the ones that are there as they feel he's selling contact. They are 100% right as well, easily the worst stager in the league right now.

Back