No Oppo Supporters The Melt Thread - 2019 Edition (Rules Strictly Enforced - See Post 1)

Cesoir

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2019
Cairns
AFL Club
Fremantle
I hate how the commentators are blaming the low scoring slog on us week after week. We are pushing forward actually trying to score. Our opponents are creating the flood mostly.
But this really is our fault, isn't it? If we play a style of play which is best countered by the opposition flooding their defensive 50, then what would we expect them to do - just spread and allow us to score? If the opposition s just going to flood back then we need to be more creative. Maybe bring guys like Wilson and Ryan into the arc and start pinging at goal from 50 metres and beyond. We won't get them all, but we'll get enough to make them stretch their zone OUTSIDE the 50, creating more space for our forwards inside the 50. I don't think our attacking plan in itself is particularly bad, but our response to a pretty simple defensive plan is atrocious - just keep doing the same thing and hoping for a different result.

So many times over the past few games we see guys reluctant to have shots from very achievable positions. If I was the coach I would drop the guy who won't take the shot and bring in another long kicker like Bewlyey or Logue, both of whom have shown they can kick 60 metres. Start mixing it up Ross FFS!

PS: I know this is pretty much what you were saying jusjoshin, I am just agreeing with you whole heartedly.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Thoughts from the game.

Teams have worked out how to beat us. Put extra players behind the ball and hurt us on the rebound. We will press forward to try and keep it locked forward, creating plenty of space for quicker players to break into. Adelaide showed the league how to do it. Now they are all doing it to us. Our game plan works well when the opponents don't know how to play against it. Once they do, we need to have a plan B.

I hate how the commentators are blaming the low scoring slog on us week after week. We are pushing forward actually trying to score. Our opponents are creating the flood mostly. To beat a flood is hard. We either need to rebound explosively, or have exquisite skills and do what the Hawks used to do and pick our way forward, creating space and working into it. We have a couple of players quick enough to hurt them on the rebound (Hill and Colyer). What we really lack is the distributors with slick skills. We have Mundy ... and then crickets.

We need to train on creating space in a congested forward line, and have a plan for the fast break that doesn't involve bombing it slow and high into our forward line.

Surely the Suns were the first to work us out? Not Adelaide. The difference between rd 1 and rd 2 was significant.

muzzington

Angry Anderson Batmobile Extravaganza
Jun 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm struggling to find the desire to watch us play, even if we win. Wish I was the sort of person who doesn't care about the style of play we employ if it lets us win, but I'm not. The losses always hurt but the feeling of a win hasn't matched it for a while.

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Watching the Hawks, Tigers game I noticed Richmond using the long handball to create space.
Our guys hardly ever set up play to get the overlap, it's our short kicking, longer handball, tapping
the ball to advantage, missing that makes it easier to counter.

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
Driving me insane the amount of players who mark on 50 and then turn it over desperately trying to pass to someone a metres forward. Take the shot FFS.
It seems only McCarthy and Mundy can accurately make the distance from 50 consistently. I may have forgotten the odd other one, but that is one area Mc has over Cox. When he gets the ball, even at a distance, he is a lot better chance to convert.

summerthebat

Premiership Player
Apr 8, 2007
Teenage Mountain
AFL Club
Fremantle
I drove down from Sydney to visit family and to see Saturday night’s game to take my record to none from 15 travelling for Fremantle away from home. No wins, 15 losses, nice.

Not melting about that, not even melting about us never being a chance of winning that game from my vantage point looking down the ground, didn’t even seem possible. I’m not melting about the multiple marauding packs of drunk Essendon fans that were aggressively and personally heckling the s**t out of about eight or so of my Freo friends.

Melting about the incident that took place after the match involving two 40-50 year old male FREO fans.

I was coming back from the toilets and was about five metres away from my girlfriend who was waiting for me, standing alone, when one of them came up from behind her and rubbed her shoulders and then tugged repeatedly (simulating something) on her beanie pom. She wasn’t in any football supporter gear.

At this point I was alongside of the men and sternly asked the guy responsible what the ‘xxxx’ he was doing and then not to do that to anyone again. Despite being caught out being a sleaze in public and me being 6’5 (I’m the weakest man in the world, but it’s winter, I might have been jacked under all those coats) the guy responsible fronted to fight me. Luckily his friend steered him away, but it didn’t stop him shouting back at me until he was out of sight.

Maybe a shocking night even worse, especially for my girlfriend.

bushchook

All Australian
Dec 9, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
It seems only McCarthy and Mundy can accurately make the distance from 50 consistently. I may have forgotten the odd other one, but that is one area Mc has over Cox. When he gets the ball, even at a distance, he is a lot better chance to convert.

You don't have to kick them every time to make it still worth taking the shot. It's not like we are converting at 100% straight in front 25m out either. Trying to pass on 50 is a low percentage play too, lower percentage than just taking the shot, even if it's stretching your distance. We see it time and time again that players try to pass and turn it over, when even if that pass came off perfect, it's still not a certain goal.

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
You don't have to kick them every time to make it still worth taking the shot. It's not like we are converting at 100% straight in front 25m out either. Trying to pass on 50 is a low percentage play too, lower percentage than just taking the shot, even if it's stretching your distance. We see it time and time again that players try to pass and turn it over, when even if that pass came off perfect, it's still not a certain goal.
I agree, if they can make the distance.

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
I drove down from Sydney to visit family and to see Saturday night’s game to take my record to none from 15 travelling for Fremantle away from home. No wins, 15 losses, nice.

Not melting about that, not even melting about us never being a chance of winning that game from my vantage point looking down the ground, didn’t even seem possible. I’m not melting about the multiple marauding packs of drunk Essendon fans that were aggressively and personally heckling the **** out of about eight or so of my Freo friends.

Melting about the incident that took place after the match involving two 40-50 year old male FREO fans.

I was coming back from the toilets and was about five metres away from my girlfriend who was waiting for me, standing alone, when one of them came up from behind her and rubbed her shoulders and then tugged repeatedly (simulating something) on her beanie pom. She wasn’t in any football supporter gear.

At this point I was alongside of the men and sternly asked the guy responsible what the ‘xxxx’ he was doing and then not to do that to anyone again. Despite being caught out being a sleaze in public and me being 6’5 (I’m the weakest man in the world, but it’s winter, I might have been jacked under all those coats) the guy responsible fronted to fight me. Luckily his friend steered him away, but it didn’t stop him shouting back at me until he was out of sight.

Not sure we are ever going to be able to knock that sexist garbage out of everyone. It is tediously frustrating.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle

Not melting about that, not even melting about us never being a chance of winning that game from my vantage point looking down the ground, didn’t even seem possible. I’m not melting about the multiple marauding packs of drunk Essendon fans that were aggressively and personally heckling the **** out of about eight or so of my Freo friends.

Not good to hear. ******* disrespectful knobheads!

AAACockburn

Premiership Player
Mar 30, 2013
Inside Wayne Carey's pain relief Ziplock.
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
VFL

Might be fans of RTB.
Did they mention her boobs?
:eek:
I will show myself out.

MrDanggazz

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Brisbane has now passed us on their rebuild and are looking at playing finals this year, Hate him for moving or not but Neale got it right. Brisbane are ahead of us in most aspects, they are gaining more and more respect with every game they play when the same cant be said for Fremantle. If anything we have lost all respect from everyone and anyone with the constant disappointment. This club will go nowhere with Ross at the helm, Id seriously rather Dew or Fagan at this stage.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Brisbane has now passed us on their rebuild and are looking at playing finals this year, Hate him for moving or not but Neale got it right. Brisbane are ahead of us in most aspects, they are gaining more and more respect with every game they play when the same cant be said for Fremantle. If anything we have lost all respect from everyone and anyone with the constant disappointment. This club will go nowhere with Ross at the helm, Id seriously rather Dew or Fagan at this stage.
You'd hope they are ahead. They haven't finished above 12th since before 2012. We finished top in 2015 (them 17th). Give us another 3 years minimum before you put them on a pedestal.

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Why do we play our first two game in Melbourne coming off late Sunday six day breaks when our opponents both had Friday night games and eight days? ******* AFL cheats.

ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
Still super mega ******* passed off we lost to the GCS. I just can not let it go. They are a pathetic rabble and we completely ****ed up a chance of being 7-4 and Top 4. (Until the weags finish off the Dogs, then we’d be 5th but still we are 9th, 1% from 7th and 8th.) Aarrggghhhh!!!!!!!!!

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Still super mega ******* passed off we lost to the GCS. I just can not let it go. They are a pathetic rabble and we completely ****** up a chance of being 7-4 and Top 4. Aarrggghhhh!!!!!!!!!
That and Essendon. Such poor poor games that the players didn’t turn up. Poor coaching too

Back