No Oppo Supporters The Melt Thread - 2019 Edition (Rules Strictly Enforced - See Post 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

people banging on about how poor our recruitment has been - look at the eagles draft picks from last years draft

They had 4 second round picks - only 1 has played this year - J. Cameron (debut RD 14, he looks like he will be a gun), he's played 6 games the rest are all languishing in the WAFL.

People need to take a chill pill. our early picks both had issues, OP for Valente and concussion for Stuart - Both had limited pre-season - I'm confident we will see more of both next year and beyond in the seniors which is exactly the long term view the club should be taking. Our other 2018 draft picks (4th rd picks) were more mature bodies and have played 11 games between them.

if people stick fat that should be happy when all the boys have more mature bodies and have played a lot more games with each other

Last edited:
Beyond coaching, the inability to cement young players and key recruits into the 22 has been extremely worrying. People call this our 2012, well I can see similar situations with players from that time period that actually worked out.

Drafts
- Hughes: Finally dropped after a mostly promising season, I really hoped this guy would be bona-fide 22 by now but isn't.
- Nyhuis: Can't remain in the side after showing solid potential, doesn't seem rated by the club either.
- Logue: Dropped for form and hampered by injuries.
- Banfield: Played most games last year, taken off the tagging role when in the team and played out of position at high half forward.
- Switowski: Promising with intensity and pressure acts, dropped because he can't hit the scoreboard.
- Crowden: Never really been given another look in.
- Jones and Meek: The future rucks of our club? I think not.
- Bewley: First year player which isn't completely fair, but I name him to draw contrast to Mzungu who came in at the age of 24 and made an immediate impact. Outside of Luke Ryan we haven't achieved that in a long while.

Brayshaw appears the only true positive at this stage and this is probably his first real game he's dominated.

Cerra is in the team but hasn't shown a great deal. Tucker? Seems to have had a mostly good year and looks like a fringe player at best.

Recruits
- Bennell: Much hyped recruit whose career ended with us after 4 pitiful years.
- McCarthy: Three years with the club and been dropped at the tail end of the season for not being able to work into games. Was hailed as a major forward recruit when we picked him up.
- Kersten: Career died here.
- Hogan: First year with us injury riddled and a host of personal issues.
- B. Hill: Honorable mention as one of our greatest picks up looking to seek a trade in the next season or so.
- Colyer: Absolute fluff.
- Conca: Serviceable but not an impact player.

Hamling and Wilson appear the recruits that don't have purse strings currently attached, and the latter is playing in desperate need of surgery.

And that's without even considering our horrific injury list, game plan and rumored host of players seeking exits.
We’d buy any forward. supporters pumping up Kersten was hilarious. Even with all their forwards out at one point, Geelong still didn’t play him. Comes here, and surprise surprise he’s garbage.
McCarthy was another overhype. We just love any forwards don’t we. Gumbleton was gonna be a gun. Heh. We’re rhat desperate for any forward

Beyond coaching, the inability to cement young players and key recruits into the 22 has been extremely worrying. People call this our 2012, well I can see similar situations with players from that time period that actually worked out.

Drafts
- Hughes: Finally dropped after a mostly promising season, I really hoped this guy would be bona-fide 22 by now but isn't.
- Nyhuis: Can't remain in the side after showing solid potential, doesn't seem rated by the club either.
- Logue: Dropped for form and hampered by injuries.
- Banfield: Played most games last year, taken off the tagging role when in the team and played out of position at high half forward.
- Switowski: Promising with intensity and pressure acts, dropped because he can't hit the scoreboard.
- Crowden: Never really been given another look in.
- Jones and Meek: The future rucks of our club? I think not.
- Bewley: First year player which isn't completely fair, but I name him to draw contrast to Mzungu who came in at the age of 24 and made an immediate impact. Outside of Luke Ryan we haven't achieved that in a long while.

Brayshaw appears the only true positive at this stage and this is probably his first real game he's dominated.

Cerra is in the team but hasn't shown a great deal. Tucker? Seems to have had a mostly good year and looks like a fringe player at best.

Recruits
- Bennell: Much hyped recruit whose career ended with us after 4 pitiful years.
- McCarthy: Three years with the club and been dropped at the tail end of the season for not being able to work into games. Was hailed as a major forward recruit when we picked him up.
- Kersten: Career died here.
- Hogan: First year with us injury riddled and a host of personal issues.
- B. Hill: Honorable mention as one of our greatest picks up looking to seek a trade in the next season or so.
- Colyer: Absolute fluff.
- Conca: Serviceable but not an impact player.

Hamling and Wilson appear the recruits that don't have purse strings currently attached, and the latter is playing in desperate need of surgery.

And that's without even considering our horrific injury list, game plan and rumored host of players seeking exits.

I honestly feel we are mismanaging a few though.

Nyhuis seems to be set up to fail imo. Dylan Grimes didn't set the world on fire until a few years but he gave an honest contest. He built his game and confidence over time. Nyhuis strikes me as a similar type of player in that respect. One game in away where the the team plays crap and he's the sacrificial out.

Cam Mac is another. He'll have some stinkers but he's also someone who knows where the goals are. A bit of a Stringer-lite. I see no benefit to just saying to Cam, "you've got 10 games. Show.me what you can do."

Another that is first to go when the team plays crap.

Last edited:

Nyhuis seems to be set up to fail imo. Dylan didn't set the world on fire until a few years but he gave an honest contest. He built his game and confidence over time. Nyhuis strikes me as a similar type of player in that respect. One game in away where the the team plays crap and he's the sacrificial out.

Cam Mac is another. He'll have some stinkers but he's also someone who knows where the goals are. A bit of a Stringer-lite. I see no benefit to just saying to Cam, "you've got 10 games. Show.me what you can do."

Stringer is miles in front of Cam.

Stringer is miles in front of Cam.

You reckon? No way! It's pretty clear that we are developing our team currently. Do you think ready made players just fall out of the sky?

My point was clearly that there is a role in teams for a player who can do the uncanny, play with flair and can get you a goal when you need it. Those players are also usually inconsistent, a bit flaky and play on confidence.

Would Clive ever got a game if Ross was his coach?

It seems that every time we've got smashed and Cam was in the team, we've dropped him. Usually games where it's not a mid-sized forwards fault that we haven't performed. Cam might end up being nothing but how will we know if he's not backed in?

Agreed. Stringer is actually a gun, very important player for Essendon.

His first year with the Bombers he wasn't as good when he was down on confidence and things weren't clicking. Last year Stringer kicked 1.5 goals per game. Cam's average this year? 1.6 goals per game.

I'm not saying that Cam is as good as Stringer or ever will be but there's a certain type of player that get's dropped straight away by Ross and those players are pretty much seen as a lost cause by Ross. Those players in my opinion are not being given a fair go.

Ross like all coaches has his favourites. But with Ross it almost impossible to change his mind.
Stubborn old fool are the words.
Yep would of kept DeBoer and Barlow before Ballas. Those 2 blokes would of been exactly what the young fellas coming through would of needed.

Do not agree with that at all. The best coaches don't play favourites. Its coaching 101, you just can't if you want to be successful.

I don't have favourites but I'm pretty comfortable in the knowledge that Matthew Pavlich rates me as the best coach he's ever had, in the AFL system that includes Damian Drum, Chris Connolly and Mark Harvey, but I'm pretty comfortable with that.

Thanks guys.

I don't have favourites but I'm pretty comfortable in the knowledge that Matthew Pavlich rates me as the best coach he's ever had, in the AFL system that includes Damian Drum, Chris Connolly and Mark Harvey, but I'm pretty comfortable with that.

Thanks guys.

DFGAfHTUQAAb_4V.jpg:large

(Log in to remove this ad.)

people banging on about how poor our recruitment has been - look at the eagles draft picks from last years draft

They had 4 second round picks - only 1 has played this year - J. Cameron (debut RD 14, he looks like he will be a gun), he's played 6 games the rest are all languishing in the WAFL.
Still they are 2nd on the ladder and defending premiers. While we look like a team that stopped once we were reasonable sure to have avoided the spoon.

I know most of you pencil necks have entirely nothing to do with Fremantle the place but can I just say how depressing it is seeing Geelong train on our spiritual home a couple of days before they are gonig to pump us by 50+ and get our coach sacked. I'm at a serious low point with this club.

I know most of you pencil necks have entirely nothing to do with Fremantle the place but can I just say how depressing it is seeing Geelong train on our spiritual home a couple of days before they are gonig to pump us by 50+ and get our coach sacked. I'm at a serious low point with this club.
I can see a silver lining there

It seems that every time we've got smashed and Cam was in the team, we've dropped him. Usually games where it's not a mid-sized forwards fault that we haven't performed. Cam might end up being nothing but how will we know if he's not backed in?

The exact same thing happened to Taberner the first 3 years he was on our list.

Nyhuis seems to be set up to fail imo. Dylan Grimes didn't set the world on fire until a few years but he gave an honest contest. He built his game and confidence over time. Nyhuis strikes me as a similar type of player in that respect. One game in away where the the team plays crap and he's the sacrificial out.

In fairness you have to concede Nyhuis efforts trying to kick the ball were very non AFL standard in his last game. McCarthy is good every 5th week but his effort on his poor games is non existent . I like Hughes but the development coaches need to work really hard to improve his decision making over the summer.

In fairness you have to concede Nyhuis efforts trying to kick the ball were very non AFL standard in his last game. McCarthy is good every 5th week but his effort on his poor games is non existent . I like Hughes but the development coaches need to work really hard to improve his decision making over the summer.
The back line was looking well run with Pearce down there, then injury, and now the reports on Wilson explains
why we have struggled. Hughes, Nyhuis, Duman, have all looked good and bad in games.
Hughes does some excellent things, but the brain fart's are diabolical, further up the ground you can cover for that
but close to goal?
The guy goes hard at the pill, is quick and has height and in space has a good kick.
Could be another Mayne, Crozier player and at another club show more in a different position.
McCarthy isnt professional enough to play consistent footy and the 1 year deal if both parties are happy with that
to me proves it.

I hope McCarthy has the same light bulb moment Matera did and he works his backside of this offseason. Defining pre-season for Cam regardless who is coaching the club. I hope he ups his effort

In fairness I'd say Nyhuis has been under the pump every game he's played. I'm not surprised he falters. Hardly being managed to maximise his ability.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back