No Oppo Supporters The Melt Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
[QUOTE
Last year people wanted Ken Hinkley's head, the players finally decide to turn up for Port with the same game plan effectively and they're top of the table and anointing him as their saviour. Fans are fickle and stupid.
But ken don't have a four year contract in the pocket, he still can be let go..

Last year people wanted Ken Hinkley's head, the players finally decide to turn up for Port with the same game plan effectively and they're top of the table and anointing him as their saviour. Fans are fickle and stupid.

I don't know enough about Hinkley and Port's game plan to comment on that. I think Ross's and our game plan is clearly outdated and we need a new one. But I don't know what the new game plan is. Players seem either unsure also, or don't have the conviction or the confidence to try it. I don't know if Ross even has a new game plan right now or is just tweaking the old one, I suspect it is the latter.

I don't think we can sack him, not for months and months, perhaps if we finish the season dead last with a % below 50. But i just want him to try something different.

(reply tomorrow - I'm bailing out and going to bed for tonight)

We learnt nothing from last year.

Croz showed something from half back..... playing up forward now for Peel.

Sherro showed something finally as a defensive midfielder..... playing off the hbf at Peel.

We finally dropped Suban last year for spudding it up..... in the squad come round 1.

We struggled to move the ball out of the back half last year..... we did nothing in the off season to fix this. Absolutely nothing and it shows.

I could go on, but i can't be F'd.

At the end of season we need another clean out. Griffin,sutcliffe,Dawson,Sheridan,d Pearce for starters need to retire,be traded or delisted. We need to load up on draft picks and find some speedy talent. I wouldn't even mind trading mundy while he has a little value.

I'm not sure what people were expecting...

We won four games last year and moved on some of better performing players. Yes, who knows what Ross is thinking about our backline setup but other than that I'm not shocked.

Sadly I think trading Fyfe is the best thing for our club. Go into next year's draft with 3 top picks and draft the best key forward and two mids with sublime skills. Then do it again the following season hopefully somehow. Atm we have 4-5 players and the rest are bottom 6 players of the top 8 teams.

We need talent and hopefully we get lucky. Sadly I don't think RTB rates Logue which isn't a good sign.

Where were these Lyon haters 4 years ago when we made it to the GF? He was so s**t to take us to a final.

Anyhow, I'm glad that was the last time I get to watch us in person for 2 years.

You seem to be missing that it was 4 years ago when we made the grand final. Since then a lot of things have changed. The rules have changed. Coaching methods have changed.

A large amount of posters on this board identified as early as 2015 after the bye that our game plan was struggling and needed to be changed. We lost 3 our of 4 our last 4 games in the 2015 H+A season, and were 0-4 against other top 8 sides in the 2nd half of the season. We won a home final against a hugely injury-ravaged swans where we only kicked 10 goals, and then predictably lost to Hawthorn in the prelim after again only kicking 10 goals.

We have been talking about it since. You've blindly defended Lyon all that time and been very aggressive towards anyone who criticised the game plan since then.

So stop pretending people are only just now starting to criticise Lyon. Many of us have seen what's been happening for years and have voiced our concerns plenty of times, only to be subject to repeated abuse from the likes of you. Now you're saying people are just coming out of the woodwork. You're completely full of it and you know it.

Sure we will. We could get a deal similar to what the crows got for dangerfield. Maybe even two top ten picks and a player. Who knows unless we try.

That's happened once ever in the history of the free agency system. It happened before the free agency period, It was known about long in advance, and Geelong only had pick 9.

We will finish in the bottom 3 this year which means that Fyfe leaving as a free agent would give us a pick from 2-4. No club is going to trade us that and more when they could trade nothing.

That's happened once ever in the history of the free agency system. It happened before the free agency period, It was known about long in advance, and Geelong only had pick 9.

We will finish in the bottom 3 this year which means that Fyfe leaving as a free agent would give us a pick from 2-4. No club is going to trade us that and more when they could trade nothing.
Just because it's happened once doesn't mean it can't happen again.

My point is we can match it. We don't have to let him go. We can force a trade and maybe get something better than the compensation. It would be remiss of us not to try and get the best deal possible.

Actually I'm pretty sure the AFL is doing away with the compensation arent they?

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our midfield considered a strong point is letting us down big time at the moment. Other teams just waltz out of defence or out of the centre against us. Mundy Blakely Neale and even Fyfe do not work hard enough when the opposition gets the ball. Sandilands would want to improve his intercept marking or I wouldn't renew his contract next year. A ruckman who only wins tap outs is not much use.

We are critical of backline and deservingly so with their turnovers but they are usually outnumbered because our midfield players are no where.

Maybe it is time to try Fyfe at chf .He has not been damaging as a midfielder even though he is trying very hard.

Our midfield considered a strong point is letting us down big time at the moment. Other teams just waltz out of defence or out of the centre against us. Mundy Blakely Neale and even Fyfe do not work hard enough when the opposition gets the ball. Sandilands would want to improve his intercept marking or I wouldn't renew his contract next year. A ruckman who only wins tap outs is not much use.

We are critical of backline and deservingly so with their turnovers but they are usually outnumbered because our midfield players are no where.

Maybe it is time to try Fyfe at chf .He has not been damaging as a midfielder even though he is trying very hard.
Is so hard for the midfield and forward when your so call defender can't even pick up a ball or kick it.

The defenders were a massive let down. Even dirty inside 50s from Port were resulting in scores. Often Port would hack it inside 50 and their forwards would out play the defenders. At one point they were scoring from 80% of inside 50s. Which is unheard of. Our defenders are worse than our forwards.

The defenders were a massive let down. Even dirty inside 50s from Port were resulting in scores. Often Port would hack it inside 50 and their forwards would out play the defenders. At one point they were scoring from 80% of inside 50s. Which is unheard of. Our defenders are worse than our forwards.
The biggest worry I had is , the morale not in best 22 ( apart from sherriden) . how can he keep saying freo don't have top pick in front of everybody . is ross having a go at freo development coach? Bulldog had a few rookie pick. Jj,Lin jong .

Neale had a shocker yesterday defensively, really poor inside 50.

They looked liked they had no idea of the game plan if any unless panic inspired play on and turn over to opposition is the plan. The efficiency skills all over the ground is a grave concern considering they are paid professionals.

Made even worse by the game becoming an offensive spectacle....

4 years ago Freo and Ross were relevant. Things have changed so fast since then.

Things have changed so fast and good coaches must have the ability to change with it. Gone are the days where the Ross Lyon tyrant method works and one of the most important things a senior coach must do is build a harmoneous team from top to bottom where players and support team enjoying what they are doing. They believe.

I have heard so many internal grumblings that Lyon is so egotistical and does listen to anyone and its his way or nothing. Even has the audacity to question or overule doctors or medical staff decisions.

I watched the Bulldogs documentary on Fox and how different Luke Beveridge is. The whole club from top to bottom is passionately behind him because he built a harmoneous team around him. He has motivated players to play with such passion and Liam Picken is an good example. This wins premierships. How many has Lyon won- big ZERO and he has been handed good teams.

Lyon got into trouble with the AFL coaching association for wanting to put beds in at club for the assistant coaches so they do not go home. How bloody stupid when coaches live reasonably close bye but coaching association squashed it. So many assistant coaches have walked out on him which included the four assistants at St Kilda after the 2009 grand final.

The game has changed and the world has changed and Lyons methods no longer have a place in either. I have lost belief in him a long time ago and sure the support team or players are not on board either. Look at the results and how the team is playing - no direction or method.

Lyons comment that you cannot buy confidence at a shop is also stupid. That is a coaches prime role to get players on board and playing in positions that they are best suited too, which brings better performance and playing happy. That alone builds confidence. Look at Picken at the Bulldogs.

Lyon time is up and we need a similar coach to Luke Beveridge to rebuild the club and rebuild this team. You can't fix the problem with same methods that caused the problem in the first place. Lyon did the same thing at St Kilda and left it in a mess and taken years ro recover.

Last edited:
Agree re Sheridan. Has been given plenty of opportunities to cement a spot and for mine, has never made much of an impact (aside from an extremely negative one in the 2015 Prelim).
Yep. Problem with Sherro is that he isn't a big body so would get crunched as an inside. He isn't quick or evasive enough to be any use on the outside. We have not helped him by playing him in the backline. Weller is following his path, however Weller can play in the forward line and has a great kick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back