No Oppo Supporters The Melt Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What really pissed me off?

The Freo team tonight (who is on a 4 year "rebuild") is older than Adelaide's team (which is on top of the ladder contending for a Premiership)

Can someone please explain to me why we are playing deadwood?

As far as I can work out:
"Selection integrity" blah blah blah
"We don't gift games" blah blah blah
"Inside 50 stats" blah blah blah

We need a serious re-think of our kick ins after a behind.
This should be the easiest thing in the world to run a play, but we don't have anything other then long kick to 60m out or the short sideways kick and long kick to 65m out.

We've done that since I can remember.

That's because every team does it. Teams are well drilled at setting up after the point, there's not a lot of options. It's just about executing the ones that are there. And yes, we're pretty average at it generally - but tonight we were on a whole special level of crapiola.

The Freo team tonight (who is on a 4 year "rebuild") is older than Adelaide's team (which is on top of the ladder contending for a Premiership)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My feeling is that we just have an oldish squad. Even if we didn't play pearce, ibbo etc tonight, our average age wouldn't have dropped by a lot.Drafting has been shithouse so not a lot to hang our hat on at the moment.

Of course we could come out next week and win and all will be forgotten and our rebuild will be back on track...

We need a serious re-think of our kick ins after a behind.
This should be the easiest thing in the world to run a play, but we don't have anything other then long kick to 60m out or the short sideways kick and long kick to 65m out.
Disagree. Sometimes we just kick it straight to the opposition too o_O

Can't have both ibbo and spur playing together. Absolutely no drive off half back. Ibbo is puzzling. All the players say he's one of the quickest at the club and has the longest kick. Why can't he provide any drive???

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't have both ibbo and spur playing together. Absolutely no drive off half back. Ibbo is puzzling. All the players say he's one of the quickest at the club and has the longest kick. Why can't he provide any drive???

Thinks too slow I reckon.

He just takes a couple of seconds too long to assess the options so he doesn't hit open players. He actually is a decent kick, but by the time he kicks it the options aren't there any more.

Our transition out of half-back is a massive issue. It can't be left to Weller to be our only decent rebounding defender, other players need to "play their role".

What amazed me was when the Crows were moving the ball they had players everywhere to receive and assist, whatever. Coming the other way at times you couldn't see another Freo player in view of the camera. We've had that going well at times but it was nowhere to be seen tonight.

I think Adelaide have the best recruiters in the land. They seem to consistently find great players in every draft. This despite losing a stack of serious quality to other sides and having been sanctioned and losing picks.
Having said that its time to move on a few more veterans and see whats in the shed still.

His first instinct when he gets the ball is to look up but that's where it ends. He cant be a good kick or have a lot of confidence because he nearly always kicks sideways or long to the contest.
Maybe he should try taking off and look for an option to present itself rather than standing still and waiting for the pressure to come and resulting turnover. I think his instincts suited the old defensive game style and he hasnt been able to adjust to the more attacking style.
If hes gonna be spare he needs to distribute well or if hes just gonna intercept mark he needs to dish it off to someone who can. Right now the only person who can do that is Weller or Crozier if he plays back.
Although the midfield were shizen it just helps to highlight the lack of skills, decision making and overall drive out of the backline.
Gotta give Ryan a crack. Nows a good time with Collingwood and Brissie coming up.

Last edited:
Thinks too slow I reckon.

He just takes a couple of seconds too long to assess the options so he doesn't hit open players. He actually is a decent kick, but by the time he kicks it the options aren't there any more.
It's more the way the game is played these days. He takes an interception and there is almost no one free ahead so he has to slow it down. Everyone floods back etc

Bit dissatisfied with the melts here. Was expecting more commitment.

A week where the board inflated premiership contention to massive breast implant levels, one could see the obvious let down when we got pricked from a mile away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have Ryan and Darcy we could have played. We have won 6 of our last 8, but get smashed by good sides.

We will delist another 8 next year and have more options then.

We need to reward form, regardless of age while we are a final chance.

Why is it that the Crows on a wet night still went Tall? Didnt we have the advantage with more leg speed, or does
this just prove that our spine, structure is poor.
As for having two key defenders in Hamling, Johnson, we don't need a third, I would argue that we are only getting
one out ot those two.
The coaching, just add water and Freo dissolve, we needed more grunt, stoppages in the middle, not players who
shine in the dry.
Can we please find a small forward that is dangerous around goal, that stays on the ground, keeps his feet.
Hopefully we can now look to the future, rather than keep looking back in the rear view mirror.
How many guys are killing it at Peel, and don't get a look in?

Why is it that the Crows on a wet night still went Tall? Didnt we have the advantage with more leg speed, or does
this just prove that our spine, structure is poor.
As for having two key defenders in Hamling, Johnson, we don't need a third, I would argue that we are only getting
one out ot those two.
The coaching, just add water and Freo dissolve, we needed more grunt, stoppages in the middle, not players who
shine in the dry.
Can we please find a small forward that is dangerous around goal, that stays on the ground, keeps his feet.
Hopefully we can now look to the future, rather than keep looking back in the rear view mirror.
How many guys are killing it at Peel, and don't get a look in?
No point going small on a wet night if they arnt contested ball winners who crack in.
Need a couple of good small to mid size defenders (natural) who can distribute the ball under pressure (in my opinion). The poor midfield showing just highlighted the defensive deficiencies.

The lack of intent from the side tells me the side wasn't playing to win (be interesting to see if Sandi comes back in next week) Self preservation kicked in. Atleast there were no injuries. Although fyfe looked desperate at times but I think that was pride.
Could of been sore after a wet slog 6 days prior too. But either way there was a total lack of commitment hence the result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back