No Oppo Supporters The Melt Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tend to agree re press conferences. His general disdain for media is wearing thin.

Ultimately though it’s what happens during the game that matters and there is plenty to worry about there.

If we cannot sort out our transitions into the forward line then we are not going to improve. Yesterday showed no sign that there’s been any improvement here despite them working so much on it over summer. Hopefully we’ll see the improvements against lesser sides at least.

I said last year that Lyon's behaviour in his press conferences is poor and everyone on here just said it's because of the journos. I agree that his singling out of Brayshaw was ridiculous considering even players like Mundy and Brad Hill were turning it over left, right and centre. Like others have said his press conference had more questions than answers and was just him rehashing the same old excuses and I'm sick of it.
He could have just more polite to the questions he thought were stupid.

Question: How do you rate Port?
Lyon: That's your job to comment on that
Better answer: Port are pretty good and will be up there

I am disappointed in some of our midfield star players. Their defensive efforts are disgusting. Our backline held up quite well considering Fyfe Mundy and others really don't run hard to help defence or stop their opponents from running free all over the ground.

Todays football midfield win and lose games. Ours was pathetic today.

“You don’t have to do much wrong to lose by 50 points”
Ross Lyon.
Well Ross if you couldn’t see much wrong yesterday we are in deep s**t.
The game starts with the team that gets selected, big issues there.
For a no excuses football club this rebuild of a “power club” such as ours sure is underwhelming so far.
I saw the worst of it - late 90’s early 2000’s but at least we had some flair, hard to be impressed the past 3 years.
There are signs but same as last year this needs to be turned around- quick......

Next week's headline:

Dockers caught up in ball tampering scandal!

The Fremantle Docker's forward Matt Taberner has been accused of ball tampering during the Docker's shocking 53 point defeat to Essendon at their first home game at the new Optus Stadium.

Footage showing Taberner applying sticky tape to the Sherrin has emerged. When asked about the incident, Taberner was visibly upset, and stated that "Ross had asked me to try and stick more marks this season".

Fremantle coach Ross Lyon, who this week has quickly become known to disillusioned Fremantle fans as 'The Riddler', was quick to distance himself from the scandal. "I thought the team played as an adhesive unit tonight" said Lyon with a smirk, before disappearing from the coaches interview room in a cloud of green smoke.

It is not known at this stage if the Fremantle leadership group was aware of Taberner's actions, but team captain Nat Fyfe has said that they will all review the tape during the week.

Fans of the winless team have been quick to comment that the Docker's season has already become unstuck.

Last edited:
damn....i hope its not groundhog season3....i'll shut my mouth till after next weeks game :huh:

Something that stuck out to me was our lack of awareness committing to the contest , is it a directive to get so many players to the contest ? This was evident last year but seemed worse yesterday and it lead to a lot of those 1m handballs that pissed us all off , the good sides and I think the Tigers do it best are so disciplined with this and is one of the main drivers in their ability to move the ball quickly. Not sure if it is a systematic issue or we just don't have enough players good enough to win clean balls inside and feed the waiting runners. So many of our players were getting caught halfway in contested ball no-mans land yesterday. Maybe it's just one of those optical illusions like losing teams looking slower than the winners

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ive never rated our midfield as highly as some. Its so small, with a lot on one way runners. Neale and Hill being the worst of them. Hes so average at applying pressure to opposition mids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I was to take my purple cap off and think hard - I reckon realistically Ross would be given till about Round 11 of absolute puke before they finally sacked him.

The logic is, if it were any other coach they’d get as far as Rd 6 - but Ross is (quite rightly) held in very high esteem by the club.

If we can’t show we’re genuinely on the right path by then I’d say he’s absolutely done.

It's got little to do with how he's regarded internally and more to do with the contract until 2020. What would Ross be on, $1.5M a year? So sacking him at the end of this season would cost around $3,000,000.

I think people are getting carried away after one loss to a pretty good team, but even if we only win 2 games this year Ross will be our coach in 2019 IMO. If we're bottom 4 this year and next Ross is in trouble.

We were beaten by Hawthorn in the GF of 2013. That was their first of 3 flags in row. They also won in 2008.
There is only 1 player still on their list from 2008 - Rioli.
From 2013 they have - Burgoyne, Rioli, Smith, Puopolo, Roughhead, Shiels, Gunston still on their list.
Freo have - Johnson, Pearce, Spurr, Mundy, Fyfe, Sutcliffe, Walters, Sandi, S Hill, B Hill (who was in that Hawks team) Balla, Neale.
So since we played them in 2013 they have turned over all but 7 players from that team while winning another 2 flags & tonight showed they are already back to being a very strong team.
We have retained 11 players and added one of theirs on our way to becoming a bottom 4 team.
Like other smart teams they continually blood new players and gradually turn the list over.
We ran ours into the ground, hanging on to the same players trying to prove I don't know what.
And we're still doing it.

Roughy was there in 2008.

I think a better comparison would be players on the list. Having said that i agree we should have turned a few more over and in general we have been criminally slow to trade or move players on. Sheridan for example should have been traded by now. Danyle still on the list and getting a game is bloody disaster. He has been progressively worse since 2013. Suban and others shouldn’t have lasted as long either.

I hope we can get more progressive with our list in terms of moving players on. And before someone says ‘we have 20 new players blah blah’ we did that in a reactionary manner. FFC would never have moved on Mitchell and Lewis if in the same position as the hawks.

Watching Freo play is like watching groundhog day , We make the same mistakes over and over again , And Rossco always says we will learn from that but we don't seem to be learning . Thought Fyfe was not a great captain yesterday, Body language at times was poor and he did a couple of undisciplined things

Reckon at least Matera good pick-up, still got an eye open when under when the pump....unlike some others

I mean hes a ripper going one way, but his hunger the other way just doesnt match to me. Its all eye test so I may be dead wrong and he lays lots of tackles and pressures acts but I just dont feel it watching him play.

He's our best player bar none.

He's our best player bar none.
Can you help me understand why our midfield goes though these awful patches where teams just constantly stream out of the middle? Is it all Tactical or are certain best 22 players letting us down? I am not a footy genius so I'd be interested in a midfield analysis because I havent really seen a comprehensive one

It's got little to do with how he's regarded internally and more to do with the contract until 2020. What would Ross be on, $1.5M a year? So sacking him at the end of this season would cost around $3,000,000.

The money is irrelevant for a club as financially successful as Freo.

Can you help me understand why our midfield goes though these awful patches where teams just constantly stream out of the middle? Is it all Tactical or are certain best 22 players letting us down? I am not a footy genius so I'd be interested in a midfield analysis because I havent really seen a comprehensive one

It's a hard one with a lot of factors. Lack of speed, positioning, how they train, taking the instinct out of players etc. Essendon were great at bursting out of the centre against Adelaide so this week will be a test for us.

The money is irrelevant for a club as financially successful as Freo.
Wouldn’t say it’s irrelevant but I get what you mean.
Ross said something yesterday in the pre-game saying “ commercially (reasons) the team needs to show improvement “.
Well the product he’s pushing at present and in the past 2 years isn’t very “commercially viable” for the business.
Maybe if come mid season and we are still showing little improvement the club or Ross might make a “commercial “ decision and at a financial lose decide to assess the tenure of agreement?

I know its been said but delisting Menegola is one of the biggest utensil ups in list management in the last 4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back