No Oppo Supporters The Melt Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starting to hear the ‘Ross is going to Carlton’ stuff outside of bigfooty now.

Talking to a bloke at the game today who claims to be friends with Patrick Cripps. Deal is already done and the players all know it.

Certainly explains the going through the motions game I saw today.

I have my problems with Ross, but I call BS.

Talking to a bloke at the game today who claims to be friends with Patrick Cripps. Deal is already done and the players all know it.

Poor bastards.

Matera has been underwhelming so far this season. Slow and prone to fumbles when he plays up the ground and hardly a threat on the few occasions he is within range of the goals. Unfortunately he is not the goal kicker we needed and thought he would be.

Why has it taken Lyon 10 weeks to finally commit to "doubling down" on the rebuild? Were we not rebuilding last year and the year before that? :think:

Matera has been underwhelming so far this season. Slow and prone to fumbles when he plays up the ground and hardly a threat on the few occasions he is within range of the goals. Unfortunately he is not the goal kicker we needed and thought he would be.
Matera spends more time up the ground than he does forward, that's not in any way his fault. He hasn't been underwhelming either, I'd say hes easily been more consistent than Wilson.

We have now been bad for 3 years straight. Not just bad but a mile off the pace and completely unwatchable. Bloody West Coast we’re down in 2013 and 14 yet rebounded quickly and were playing in the GF in 2015. Plenty of other strong clubs have managed to rebuild without being quite so terrible as us.

Also, after sitting through another mediocre and completely uninspiring performance in the rain, it’s be nice to hear something different from the coach in the post game presser. Starting to tire of the same old cliches and one liners.

Why has it taken Lyon 10 weeks to finally commit to "doubling down" on the rebuild? Were we not rebuilding last year and the year before that? :think:

Because he needs to keep reminding the masses that is OK to keep losing. It's a terribly disappointing attitude that the coach and club have put out over the last few years. They've basically committed to being a club like Carlton where losing is acceptable, and hope people don't question their jobs. And it seems a lot of people on here (and maybe the players) have fallen for it.

I don't think I'd believe that even if I saw it.

Has someone told Bolton?

But to be fair I’ve heard outside of BF Ross will leave Freo at years end too. Going to Carlton is new to me.
Really? Surely not his choice if true?

I am happy either way tbh, going or staying. A new coach is like a draftee, all shiny and new. Could be the Fyfe of coaching or the *insert delisted spud here* of coaching.

Because he needs to keep reminding the masses that is OK to keep losing. It's a terribly disappointing attitude that the coach and club have put out over the last few years. They've basically committed to being a club like Carlton where losing is acceptable, and hope people don't question their jobs. And it seems a lot of people on here (and maybe the players) have fallen for it.

It is amazing that people have fallen for it. We really have been the worst team over the last 3 years with some of the players we have. Comfortably the worst to watch in the comp with no real sign of progress at all. Serious question marks on the drafting and trading as well over this time, yet there seems to be no pressure at all on the rabble we’ve become.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have now been bad for 3 years straight. Not just bad but a mile off the pace and completely unwatchable. Bloody West Coast we’re down in 2013 and 14 yet rebounded quickly and were playing in the GF in 2015. Plenty of other strong clubs have managed to rebuild without being quite so terrible as us.

Also, after sitting through another mediocre and completely uninspiring performance in the rain, it’s be nice to hear something different from the coach in the post game presser. Starting to tire of the same old cliches and one liners.
Change of Coach from Woosha to Simpson.

Despite this excuse of rebuilding Ross still wants to try and make finals - it's the only reason I can think of that is justifying the constant selection of Ballantyne, DPearce, Johnson etc.

I'd take it. Ross can get out and see how much Carlton are in more struggle town then us.
Also, Bolton is a very acute and great coach that is wasted at Carlton. I also wouldn't mind him here. He ll change things, and he's been within the Hawthorn system

The team is s**t, the coach is s**t, the game plan is s**t and watching us play makes me feel like s**t.

I really can't see myself continuing as a member next year.

The reality is the more kids you put in, the chance of winning gets less and less. The fans want more kids, the fans need to be reminded that we'll get smashed because of it.

The gameplan was ok to exciting and attacking earlier in the year... Tabs out hurt a lot and we still often have nothing to kick to going forward which on a few occasions yesterday meant we had to stop and go back instead of attack... Such a piss off!

S Hill isn't right and or is being told not to run forward.. he hasn't got any run which has always been a strength and Ryan although he has been good seems to be taking less and less attacking options from the back half. Add to that, outside of Fyfe and Brayshaw we seem to have little hard running mids going around. We have been very static for weeks now.

Coach is not s**t - but playing Danyle is. Playing Johnson if Logue is fit will also be absolute Shite - We should also be playing Hughes who mysteriously came in for one game and then was dropped. If we get a win against carlton we will be ahead of last year on wins at the half way mark... Sandi will most likely miss this week which will mean grundy kills us! Faaarrrrrrrrrk footy is going to be bloody hard to watch this year!

The reality is the more kids you put in, the chance of winning gets less and less. The fans want more kids, the fans need to be reminded that we'll get smashed because of it.
Alot of it comes down to structure or lack of it, and players played out position, opposition know our tricks.
Add the players that are too old, carrying an injury, and its a perfect sh*t storm.
We have nothing new to offer does it surprise that we are going nowhere?
I would love Ross to show the faith in Cox in another tall, just to give us something to work with and give the
opposition something to worry about.
Bulldogs, Tigers changed the thinking of the game, looks like Simspon is next in line.

Alot of it comes down to structure or lack of it, and players played out position, opposition know our tricks.
Add the players that are too old, carrying an injury, and its a perfect sh*t storm.
We have nothing new to offer does it surprise that we are going nowhere?
I would love Ross to show the faith in Cox in another tall, just to give us something to work with and give the
opposition something to worry about.
Bulldogs, Tigers changed the thinking of the game, looks like Simspon is next in line.

Simpson has had a pretty much unchanged experienced line up that is finals hardened for a few seasons now. Throw Kennedy, Darling, Le Cras , Cripps and Natanui into our forward half and see how we go. WC have had the best forward half and defence for a while now. Why we thought they would fall of the cliff , and I was one of those , is mind boggling.

Simpson has had a pretty much unchanged experienced line up that is finals hardened for a few seasons now. Throw Kennedy, Darling, Le Cras , Cripps and Natanui into our forward half and see how we go. WC have had the best forward half and defence for a while now. Why we thought they would fall of the cliff , and I was one of those , is mind boggling.
Very True, but what about the new kids, players in the team? That and the fact even when their best midfielder is
missing, NN suspended?
The reality is that we are about 13th on the ladder, which is where WC were in 2013, and Tigers in 2016, Bulldogs.
So for me that is the marker for next year, one thing is for sure without change we are sinking.

Hill isn't right and or is being told not to run forward.. he hasn't got any run which has always been a strength and Ryan although he has been good seems to be taking less and less attacking options from the back half. Add to that, outside of Fyfe and Brayshaw we seem to have little hard running mids going around. We have been very static for weeks now.
you could change the players names around and describe almost every year from 2015 on like that. Or even any game from that period.
We come out hard, look great, slow down, get uncertain & defensive and eventually players go into their shell, confidence evaporates.
Its this oft repeated pattern more than anything (and I started pointing it out in 2015 mostly getting ridiculed for it) that has me gradually losing enthusiasm for the current football dept regime.

Football analysis is very reactionary, changing from week to week.

At the start of the year West Coast were touted as Wooden Spooners and we had a great young side who were going to be a smokey for the finals. All predicted from one or two meaningless JLT games.

Now West Coast are grand final shoe-ins and we have the worst list in the game.

"It is never as bad or as good as the papers say".

Our list isn't shite. West Coast's isn't A1. Richmond's list a year ago was a laughing stock, now everyone is trying to emulate them. Essendon were touted as top 4 after a couple of games, then after some bad losses the experts questioned Worsfold's re-signing. Now after 2 unexpected wins, talk of finals again. No-one knows the answer or are able to predict past next week.

We can easily go the same way but one thing is certain; nothing will change if we don't;
1. Improve skills. We are easily bottom 4 for this and have been for a number of years.
2. Fix the game plan. Lyon seems to be stuck for ideas and thinks as long as it doesn't resemble the '12/'13 style then it is a change in the right direction. Well that's not right. There is no plan taking the ball forward. It is just a haphazard concoction of players running all over the place with fingers crossed that they somehow link up. Now compare that to West Coast and Richmond's game style. It's calculated and planned.
3. Fix the forward structures, leading patterns and forward 50 entries. We have, and have had for a while, the most stagnant forward line. We are so easy to defend against.

Improve those areas and all of sudden McCarthy starts to look like Jeremy Cameron, Stephen Hill-Burgoyne and Ballantyne-Fantasia.

We just need a coaching staff that can see the obvious or a football administration who have the balls to act if necessary. Unfortunately 2 more areas we are failing in. No chance Rosich goes against Lyon, not after the way he got him and then gave him a 4 year extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back