No Oppo Supporters The Melt Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nope. But they are only awarded when a team is down for more than one year. Brisbane is likely to get pick one and three from what I can tell.

Ok

Freo will probably have SPS still available however I'd be happy with some of the other mids. Why give Brisbanea priority pick when they'll just leave the club.

I thought priority picks had been abolished

I think it is along the lines of the AFL can award a club a priority pick at the AFL's discretion? In other words whatever they make up on the day to ensure they get a result that suits their agenda. Being based in an expansion state they will probably tip the bucket up for them GWS style. Brisbane are little more than a poorly run club who don't have the ability to solve their own problems over time in spite of plenty of help and early draft picks.

We wouldn't get a priority pick if we were the same as Brisbane as we are an AFL state so it's all about growing the game in the northern states again

Nope. But they are only awarded when a team is down for more than one year. Brisbane is likely to get pick one and three from what I can tell.
There is the possibility that they award end of first round pick which would be more fair and AFL have form as this was the compensation awarded to West Coast in 2010. A pick they used on Jack Darling.

Many clubs are pushing to have all compo picks start after first round is allocated.

I agree that Brisbane are likely to get some compo but I also agree that they are now a basket case with a terrible coach and that isn't necessarily solved with handing them another early pick.

We wouldn't get a priority pick if we were the same as Brisbane as we are an AFL state so it's all about growing the game in the northern states again
Give them a priority pick after the first round, they already have an academy to work with.
Probably better to increase their salary cap advantage, like they did, do for other clubs.

man this game broke me.

Just Lyon, please stop with the maul. You're running the team into the ground - not just the team, the whole list. Doesn't it appear weird to anyone else that our players literally have no time to execute any decisions, nor have any vision to hit up a player on a lead? There's just too many players around the ball. We're just so squeezed for time and space. When we do miraculously have the ball there's no one upfield, and the player with the ball is a sitting duck. There was three-four times today where we got away with it, Langdon, Pearce just waiting till everyone ran for them. Its been three-four seasons of this and the team cant keep up in covering the space. It's exhausting to watch, let alone play. It explains why we suck so much at the MCG - it's just too big a ground. It explains why we burst out of the blocks last year then got destroyed for the rest of the game. When the players are fit its great. When its like mid-last quarter the players are spent of energy, particularly in a mental capacity as well. I'm hating seeing it happen to the younger players.

It's not all the coach of course. When Pearce coffed it up twice on the kick out. Jesus Christ. I think that's when Lyon came down to the bench to have a go at him. Then there's the handballing to players feet ... There's a ******* V on your jumpers. And finally the non-ability of anyone bar Sandi and Fyfe to take a contested mark.

Player mistakes can be forgiven, but Ross, your stretching my patience. Please give your players some confidence. They're only doing what you're instructing them to. Yeah, you risk getting flogged. But you have to risk losing to get something that works. Going back to ******* clarkos cluster which popularised was 8 years ago is just doing my head in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

man this game broke me.

Just Lyon, please stop with the maul. You're running the team into the ground - no
d in.

Yep, definitely frustrating to watch. The thing is, Lyon had every excuse and opportunity this year to experiment. All the pressure was off, the season written off and the club and board supporting the decision to rebuild. So does he bring in a more attacking game plan ? Does he experiment ?
Imo not really and definitely not as much as what he should have. We still see so much congestion and extra number number in defense. There is no such thing as an honorable loss particularly when at our end of the ladder - who cares if your "competitive" , as fans we'd much rather see development of the game plan - and I'm personally not sold/convinced/ seen much

Yep, definitely frustrating to watch. The thing is, Lyon had every excuse and opportunity this year to experiment. All the pressure was off, the season written off and the club and board supporting the decision to rebuild. So does he bring in a more attacking game plan ? Does he experiment ?
Imo not really and definitely not as much as what he should have. We still see so much congestion and extra number number in defense. There is no such thing as an honorable loss particularly when at our end of the ladder - who cares if your "competitive" , as fans we'd much rather see development of the game plan - and I'm personally not sold/convinced/ seen much

There's been small and swift glimpses of it (attacking game plan) in most games since about round 10 IMO.

The hope that I'm clinging to is that Ross believes there isn't any point to fully roll out a new game plan this year as we want an early pick, our best players are injured and the year was shot by round 8 anyway.

If we don't come out kicking big scores and playing more effectively from round 1 next year I'll know I was hanging on a false hope.

There's been small and swift glimpses of it (attacking game plan) in most games since about round 10 IMO.

The hope that I'm clinging to is that Ross believes there isn't any point to fully roll out a new game plan this year as we want an early pick, our best players are injured and the year was shot by round 8 anyway.

If we don't come out kicking big scores and playing more effectively from round 1 next year I'll know I was hanging on a false hope.

Any game plan falls in a steaming heap if you can't kick.

Following the online commentary elsewhere it sounds like once again we burnt the ball.

If we could actually hit a target our game plan would look attacking.

Kicking on top of, behind and/or over the head of the leading forward is a path to oblivion

Guerra must just shake his head at the steaming pile of s**t out players regularly put out

Gold Coast couldn't kick either. They are rabble, which really illustrates how bad we are. Pathetic, and I agree about Lyons game plan, he could've gone way more offensive with the way we were going, but it's same s**t, different depth. Lyon has won nothing in 10 years, and we've won f all in 21!

Any game plan falls in a steaming heap if you can't kick.

Following the online commentary elsewhere it sounds like once again we burnt the ball.

If we could actually hit a target our game plan would look attacking.

Kicking on top of, behind and/or over the head of the leading forward is a path to oblivion

Guerra must just shake his head at the steaming pile of s**t out players regularly put out

The one we had prior to this year worked ok.

If kicking is the major issue, then we are in for some tough years. We've only started drafting on skills in the last two years and got all of 4 players with good skills from those drafts.

Based on that it'll take 7 years to build a skillful list

If kicking is the major issue, then we are in for some tough years. We've only started drafting on skills in the last two years and got all of 4 players with good skills from those drafts.

Based on that it'll take 7 years to build a skillful list

Maybe.

But the players we have out allow more skilful movement. Create space take marks when they should, kick somewhat to advantage....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back