Autopsy The Meltdown thread (Autopsy vs Geelong)

Remove this Banner Ad

early on, we had just as many shots at goal as they did, but ours were all from right on 50 and none of them made the distance. Later, we just could not get it past half back.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
early on, we had just as many shots at goal as they did, but ours were all from right on 50 and none of them made the distance. Later, we just could not get it past half back.

We were well on top in the 1st quarter, but didn't hurt them, and Griers got a flukey goal from the boundary via a flukey piece of play.

The disgraceful umpiring extended their lead in the 2nd quarter.

After half time, Geelong went in to possession/loose men back mode, knowing we would have to take risks to keep the umpiring out of the equation, and cashed in on some cheap turnovers, which were bound to happen in the conditions, then they junk timed it from there.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2012
Caught in the web.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Always;and thats why they will be chopped liver come Finals

How they tolerate CScotts lack of success and spin has me beat

I would rather be achieving nothing than constantly being teased

Don't worry their supporters are ready to have a massive meltdown. The discontent is there. A team with this much to end talent should have done much better. When they crash out in finals again the fury will be unleashed.

Our lowest score August 21 1909 when we scored 1.6.12 against the Essendon Association. Back then it wasn’t our lowest point for the season, but this time it is. We looked bland, uninspired and disinterested.

Back in our VFA days we won the Premiership the following year, thanks in part to the turmoil that struck Carlton. I can’t see it happening next year, for a start Carlton look stable at the moment.

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’m not sure of the answer but would you prefer to have kicked 14 points and lose by 55 or be beaten by 100+ under the roof.

It’s not great and we didn’t deal with the conditions but I wouldn’t be getting the razor out just yet. Hell GWS kicked 20 odd points.

We were poor but let’s keep it in perspective

Add in a couple of heavy finals defeats against Port and the game in 1998 that shall not be named.

In fact this game has nothing on the s**tshow that was the Petrenko game.

Giving up the ghost in the last round of the season at least twice to screw our finals chances (Fremantle and Port from memory). Just lackluster nonsense games.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Giving up the ghost in the last round of the season at least twice to screw our finals chances (Fremantle and Port from memory). Just lackluster nonsense games.

Yes, they were terrible.

There have also been the Richmond, Collingwood and Hawthorn games.

We're not as bad as some mention, no matter how many draft picks they think that can solve our problems.

A structure that yields 14 points is not one I'm fond of.

It yielded about the same for Geelong to that point and it suits the ground. Fair enough if you don't like that style of play, it was pretty turgid but it is a very narrow ground and conditions were not conducive to much else.

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
10 years of Brad and I’ve never seen a s**tshow like this.

I'm not sure under BS we'd have ever played 5 inexperienced players at any one time? Although against the Hawks in Tassie when Buddy kicked 14 goals, maybe? Also we're 15th and the team that beat us are sitting on top. Again that's other peoples fault and not Shaw's.

Pretty much. I've said it before and I'm a hater apparently but we go into games with a bunch running around the middle including Dumont, Turner, JZ, Jmac, Jed and so on. Jmac was good tonight I reckon, got the blowjob treatment from the umps on Ablett. But we just carry too much plod in the middle. Turner if he can't hassle is completely non useful nowadays. Dumont did some good mixed with some very average disposal. There are just too many of the same types in there and we need more depth to come in. Simpkin is now starting to slow down and feel a long year, same for Thomas who was still clean but quiet. Those names above are old enough and mature enough to hold the fort but they don't and then it all falls apart.

Our forward line is pretty much set IMO but if we were still in it and had some more mids available Larkey would have had a rest weeks ago as well as he is tiring.

All that said, meh. We'll be okay, but I'd have liked to see more of a plan going in. Brown was never going to score much there and yet we kept the same plan... team butchered any home in the first 1/4 and a half then gave up because they're knackered.

FWIW that was one of the worst umpired games I've seen in ages. Not just our way either, just consistent decisions all night long that had zero feel for the game at all. It was like watching the umpires make decisions all night.

I had a chat with 'someone' last week about our list and suggested as I have on here we could lose 13 players ( trade/delist) and make no real difference to the result! I too am a hater. Although he did later do some work around that, hope we catch up later next week.

Our fwd line is the best bit for sure; Brown and Larkey as the marking targets :whitecheck:. Currently though we have Brown, Larkey, Garner, Wood and Zurhaar as our marking targets :crossmark:. Is it any wonder we bomb the ball in? It doesn't mean anyone one of those isn't any good, it just means our balance is out and that's a s**t way to line up in a game played in trying conditions.

Our back line in 2020 should have Tarrant & Daw as the KP's with assistance from Durds :whitecheck:. Then we have Macmillan,McDonald, Williams, Pittard :crossmark:. Ahern offers something different of HB- he can use the ball!!:whitecheck:

It will come down to how honest we are with where we see our side currently. If we aim for the lower reaches of the eight, not much needs to change, but if we want to compete, yeah some work to do.

Interestingly Shaw has made it mandatory to practice skills at every session; 4x4 it's called I believe, so that's agood sign and something our previous incumbent didn't feel was necessary.

Pretty shabby down there. Reckon there's a couple of lessons to be learnt and some hard truths to drop on a midfield that refuses to adapt to the situation.

Big let down after last week. The acurate one is right too many players with the same attributes.

They don't hand out acurate one to just anyone :p

I had a chat with 'someone' last week about our list and suggested as I have on here we could lose 13 players ( trade/delist) and make no real difference to the result! I too am a hater. Although he did later do some work around that, hope we catch up later next week.

They don't hand out acurate one to just anyone :p

I think the key point is not that I hate any one specific player in the team. I don't think any of them are unworthy of a place in general - the problem is that we have too many of the same types in there. A few guys need to be found homes at other clubs where they will be perfectly capable of having long successful careers. There's nothing wrong with most of the names we're talking about, too many of them are potentially wrong for us.

Need to give Shaw, Rawlings and a whole new team at least one offseason to plan a structure for the players we have though - I'm very much looking forward to seeing what the offseason tells us about how we see the team structure in the immediate future.

Our fwd line is the best bit for sure; Brown and Larkey as the marking targets :whitecheck:. Currently though we have Brown, Larkey, Garner, Wood and Zurhaar as our marking targets :crossmark:. Is it any wonder we bomb the ball in? It doesn't mean anyone one of those isn't any good, it just means our balance is out and that's a s**t way to line up in a game played in trying conditions.

BTW, I know we're running thin now in a few areas but I said this a week ago regarding that forward line in Geelong. That was actually the perfect game to try a different structure up foward, perhaps one based on Zurhaar / JZ rotating out of the square and everyone else pushing more HF to midfield to open up space. Perhaps the Coleman medal bait left them reluctant to try but everything I've ever seen over years of playing at Geelong says that a congested forward line simply doesn't work.

Braybrook Son

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Genuine question guys, not trolling, just want to know what you all think about appointing Rhyce Shaw before the end of the season. Did the club go too early? I was wanting to ask the question even before last night to be fair.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FlyHigh18

Arden St Parking Inspector
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm not sure under BS we'd have ever played 5 inexperienced players at any one time? Although against the Hawks in Tassie when Buddy kicked 14 goals, maybe? Also we're 15th and the team that beat us are sitting on top. Again that's other peoples fault and not Shaw's.

Who are the 5 compared to the first half of the year?

The chorus

All Australian
Jun 15, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
There has been a widespread view in recent years that we needed outside mids, but last night our main problem was inside mids- we lost the clearances 26 to 46. While I love the way Jed and Jye attack the game they just don't get enough of the ball for onballers- 14 and 12 disposals respectively is way below standard. We need to trade/draft a couple of onballers who can actually get the ball; hope LDU kicks on quickly and hope a rebooted Tyson will fill a gap. And for the heck of it, I would like to see Hrovat played as an onballer next week- he couldn't do worse than Jed or Jye did last night

Genuine question guys, not trolling, just want to know what you all think about appointing Rhyce Shaw before the end of the season. Did the club go too early? I was wanting to ask the question even before last night to be fair.

Clearly we have, I mean he's been unable to rectify the list/injury/game plan issues since he's been appointed.

We legitimately don't know what we're doing.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

He was as good an option as was available, so the timing to suit some media driven agenda is irrelevant.

Braybrook Son

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He was as good an option as was available, so the timing to suit some media driven agenda is irrelevant.
Yeah but club’s usually wait till after the season and have a proper sit down with a thorough process, seems a bit of a knee-jerk reaction. Not like other clubs were banging on Rhyce’s door. Just asking as I would be irate if the Dog’s did the same thing. I guess time will tell, and I genuinely hope it goes well for you guys long term, unfortunately, we both are unattractive destination clubs as we both struggle to attract the big names. Sick of seeing Hawthorn poaching all the big names. All the best

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Yeah but club’s usually wait till after the season and have a proper sit down with a thorough process, seems a bit of a knee-jerk reaction. Not like other clubs were banging on Rhyce’s door. Just asking as I would be irate if the Dog’s did the same thing. I guess time will tell, and I genuinely hope it goes well for you guys long term, unfortunately, we both are unattractive destination clubs as we both struggle to attract the big names. Sick of seeing Hawthorn poaching all the big names. All the best

This is just your opinion mate, it's not some ultimate truth.

To be fair though, if they hadn't paid the free to Goldstein, it would have been a markey to Larkey maybe five metres further out from goal. And I think Goldstein is probably more likely to spray a set shot than Larkey, particularly on a rainy evening.

Unfortunately, Larkey dropped the mark. I remember saying at the time that it was a bad sign. Regardless, there is absolutely no sane debate to be had over the Goldstein free. It was nearly the most obvious free kick of the whole weekend.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Unfortunately, Larkey dropped the mark. I remember saying at the time that it was a bad sign. Regardless, there is absolutely no sane debate to be had over the Goldstein free. It was nearly the most obvious free kick of the whole weekend.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Behind the Ziebell one that was not paid.

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Who are the 5 compared to the first half of the year?

All played but not in the same side week after week. We did start the year with Tom ' 'Carey" Campbell at CHF.

Ahern- x2 games before Scotts departure. 5 under Shaw

Larkey x5 games under Scott, x10 under Shaw. Scott if you recall preferred Tom "Carey" Campbell at CHF at seasons start.

Simpkin played the majority , different role under Shaw

Zurhaar x7 under Scott x10 under Shaw

Durdin and LDU would have both played more games under Shaw.

And I bet we don't drop the young guys after last nights fiasco

Remove this Banner Ad

Back