Autopsy The Meltdown thread (Autopsy vs Geelong)

Mar 17, 2012
Caught in the web.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Genuine question guys, not trolling, just want to know what you all think about appointing Rhyce Shaw before the end of the season. Did the club go too early? I was wanting to ask the question even before last night to be fair.

No didn't go too early. Once we couldn't get any of the 3 ex North players to coach us, it was logical to go to after him given how we were performing and how highly regarded in the AFL system he was..

Hes doing fine. We had a shocker last night but in the 10 games we've played under him, we've got a 50/50 record with 2 games against Ess and Brisbane that should have been wins if not for some bullshit luck. That's not a bad record considering in that time we've played 7 of the top 8 teams.

Last edited:

FlyHigh18

Arden St Parking Inspector
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
All played but not in the same side week after week. We did start the year with Tom ' 'Carey" Campbell at CHF.

Ahern- x2 games before Scotts departure. 5 under Shaw

Larkey x5 games under Scott, x10 under Shaw. Scott if you recall preferred Tom "Carey" Campbell at CHF at seasons start.

Simpkin played the majority , different role under Shaw

Zurhaar x7 under Scott x10 under Shaw

Durdin and LDU would have both played more games under Shaw.

And I bet we don't drop the young guys after last nights fiasco

Don’t forget round 1 we played with 8 players who had never played a game together before.

l pay good money to follow this team but after watching this game it looks like these players are already looking toward to Mad Monday. Maybe they should change it to Weak Wednesday after that performance. Pittard, Jmac, Thompson, Tarrant and Williams exculded...

Nov 17, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If it wasn't for this lowest ever score business I don't think there'd be much to say about this game.

Geelong are a much better side than us and had a lot of motivation after coming off of last week's loss. It's not our worse loss of the season by a large margin and it's not even the worse loss that we've had under Rhyce Shaw.

Geelong's ultra-defensive approach worked so well against us because Geelong absolutely dominated the clearances. That allowed them to win the territory battle and keep players behind the ball to prevent us from having good options when we won the ball back. I've seen some people criticize Shaw for not manning up their spare, but considering how dominant Geelong were at getting the ball forward, all that would have done is effectively removed a player from the game. Sure we probably would have scored a bit more, but they also would have scored more and the margin would likely have been a lot worse.

Shaw's gameplan looks absolutely perfect when we're able to win or break even at the clearances, but we've seen at times against West Coast, GWS, Essendon and Brisbane that when our midfield gets beaten our play drops off dramatically. It just kind of sucks that we have this midfield that's both slow and terrible at winning clearances, I don't know what people are expecting this group to produce honestly. The only real solution is to get better players in through development/drafting/trading and it's as simple as that.

The backline should be applauded for holding up so well all night.

I couldn’t watch the game last night. Should I watch the highlights, or just all our goals?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I missed it too and having seen the score and read a few comments on here feared the worst. I watched the first half before bed and if Z had been paid the obvious we would have been close to even at half time and reasonable value for it. So in context we must have played one bad half of footy. When it's all said and done, I'm more optimistic with Shaw and the playing group now than I was going into this season.

SlyCunnington

Team Captain
Jun 20, 2010
Downtown
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Genuine question guys, not trolling, just want to know what you all think about appointing Rhyce Shaw before the end of the season. Did the club go too early? I was wanting to ask the question even before last night to be fair.
Genuine answer is it's too early to tell.

Anybody who thinks they definitively know one way or the other, is talking s**t.

There has been a widespread view in recent years that we needed outside mids, but last night our main problem was inside mids- we lost the clearances 26 to 46. While I love the way Jed and Jye attack the game they just don't get enough of the ball for onballers- 14 and 12 disposals respectively is way below standard. We need to trade/draft a couple of onballers who can actually get the ball; hope LDU kicks on quickly and hope a rebooted Tyson will fill a gap. And for the heck of it, I would like to see Hrovat played as an onballer next week- he couldn't do worse than Jed or Jye did last night

It appears we haven’t spent any time learning the “dark art” of shovelling the ball out of congestion. So many times the Cats were able to get the ball to their outside players and there was no way of knowing whether it was a legal disposal or not. We are singularly unable to compete in that area. The Dogs raised it to another level 3 years ago. We haven’t cottoned on to it yet. It’s like as if we’re waiting for it to be outlawed!

The missing of free kicks was putrid. Ablett and that flopping fish dangerfield do not have dropping the ball/incorrect disposal given against them ever. The afl dirty that bradley got the old heave ho and when up against his all knowing brothers team, well, the powers that be had to do something to appease the Scotts. We stunk, shat decisions coming out of the backline, duff handballs, shanks, hacks and and fumbles. Jye will probably get 2 for tackling that ******* dangerfield who flopped around after the tackle. Meh.

Dunno if anyone noticed but there was a tackle in the midfield - on, I think Macmillan but dunno, maybe Hunter - that was exactly the same as Simpkin's tackle on Dangerfield but no free. They ran the ball away from the contest and scored a goal.

l pay good money to follow this team but after watching this game it looks like these players are already looking toward to Mad Monday. Maybe they should change it to Weak Wednesday after that performance. Pittard, Jmac, Thompson, Tarrant and Williams exculded...

We travel interstate to a top 4 teams home ground and crack in and almost pinch it.

We travel interstate to another top 4 teams home and get flogged.

We beat a out of the 8 opposition on our home deck.

We travel to the hardest ground to win at in Victoria and fade badly after a very tight first half.

We're not in finals, we haven't looked like we'd be in finals. After a roller-coaster of emotion this year we're f***ing cooked.

I am interested to see what difference our home deck makes this week, but don't expect us to win.

Most of us pay good money to see this team. Don't be pissed off with last night, be pissed off at the whole wasted year. The only thing last night serves to do is create a mark that Rhyce can point to and say you can never be that again.

Roll on 2020.

I think the Footy Gods saw just 1 too many random cat pic's/videos in our game day thread to play the Handbaggers as a bit of an insult, took umbrage, decided enough is enough, and dropped the hammer.

Too many *en reserved threads. :mad:

a weeks rest
Will be fascinating watching the AFL umpire Brisbane into a Grand Final against West Coast though.

LIke, I'm actually interested to see how they go about it.
It aint that hard really, 1st up home qualifying final (x2) check, a weeks rest (x2) check, a home preliminary final (x2) check, assign Razor Ray and Fisher to Qld, Margetts and Nichols to WA, factor in "noise of affirmation" (x2) check, mission accomplished.,

It appears we haven’t spent any time learning the “dark art” of shovelling the ball out of congestion. So many times the Cats were able to get the ball to their outside players and there was no way of knowing whether it was a legal disposal or not. We are singularly unable to compete in that area. The Dogs raised it to another level 3 years ago. We haven’t cottoned on to it yet. It’s like as if we’re waiting for it to be outlawed!

Cunners did at one point and for the first time ever the commentators mentioned how it'd become a part of the game and the umps just let it go.

Its hard not to think we are the team that cops the most bias when you hear s**t like that 3 years after the Dogs won a flag that way.

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Worst 10 losses of the 2000s (by relative margins)

4.93 - Round 21, 2019 v Geelong - 14 to 69
4.90 - Round 16, 2011 v Collingwood - 30 to 147
3.97 - Round 18, 2001 v Sydney - 36 to 143
3.67 - Round 2, 2010 v St.Kilda - 39 to 143
3.12 - Qual Final, 2007 v Geelong - 50 to 156
2.98 - Round 22, 2004 v Brisbane Lions - 57 to 170
2.95 - Round 10, 2012 v Hawthorn - 59 to 174
2.89 - Prelim Final, 2007 v Port Adelaide - 46 to 133
2.83 - Round 12, 2009 v Adelaide - 24 to 68
2.74 - Round 8, 2015 v Fremantle - 42 to 115

There are 26 more games where we had our score doubled. (4 of those are finals in addition to the two above!). 2002 and 2016 are the only years where we didn't have a game where out score was doubled. Last night was the third such instance of 2019. The only year with 4 was 2001 (Three in the first three rounds!) and 2006, 2007 and 2011 are the only others with three.

Aug 21, 2011
Basement of the J. Edgar Hoover Building
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester City, Melbourne Victory
Everyone needs to calm the * down.

The tactics were fine and exactly what was required. Our execution and application was deplorable. Conditions didn't help.

Our personnel requires hard decisions made on a range of players we've discussed as maybes.

The likes of Wood, Garner, Jacobs, Atley, Dumont, Turner, JMac etc. we can only carry two or three of these types at minimum.

Move them on and start searching for better.

The executive at the club has privately declared we have gone too long without success, which is why we need to continue with our radical overhaul of the football department.

Interestingly Shaw has made it mandatory to practice skills at every session; 4x4 it's called I believe, so that's agood sign and something our previous incumbent didn't feel was necessary.

But when do the team from Nelson Alexander get their chance to update the squad on clearance rates in the area and upcoming listings?????????

Everyone needs to calm the fu** down.

The tactics were fine and exactly what was required. Our execution and application was deplorable. Conditions didn't help.

Our personnel requires hard decisions made on a range of players we've discussed as maybes.

The likes of Wood, Garner, Jacobs, Atley, Dumont, Turner, JMac etc. we can only carry two or three of these types at minimum.

The executive at the club has privately declared we have gone too long without success, which is why we need to continue with our radical overhaul of the football department.

You keep Garner and Turner.

Everyone needs to calm the fu** down.

We need a but busting pre-season in terms of speed and endurance, we just have to be able to run harder and for longer.

Worst 10 losses of the 2000s (by relative margins)

4.93 - Round 21, 2019 v Geelong - 14 to 69
4.90 - Round 16, 2011 v Collingwood - 30 to 147
3.97 - Round 18, 2001 v Sydney - 36 to 143
3.67 - Round 2, 2010 v St.Kilda - 39 to 143
3.12 - Qual Final, 2007 v Geelong - 50 to 156
2.98 - Round 22, 2004 v Brisbane Lions - 57 to 170
2.95 - Round 10, 2012 v Hawthorn - 59 to 174
2.89 - Prelim Final, 2007 v Port Adelaide - 46 to 133
2.83 - Round 12, 2009 v Adelaide - 24 to 68
2.74 - Round 8, 2015 v Fremantle - 42 to 115

There are 26 more games where we had our score doubled. (4 of those are finals in addition to the two above!). 2002 and 2016 are the only years where we didn't have a game where out score was doubled. Last night was the third such instance of 2019. The only year with 4 was 2001 (Three in the first three rounds!) and 2006, 2007 and 2011 are the only others with three.
Wow, some absolute cricket scores in there (if you're Steve Smith or England on day five).

In terms of complete and utter dumpster fire performances, last night doesn't hold a candle to those finals in 2007. Or the muggings at the hands of the Saints and Filth in 2010 and 2011. Appalling pun intended.

Rick18

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 30, 2007
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Breaking a rule I have to not wade into post-match threads after a big loss, but;

In the space of two months there's already been a base game plan established which has tightened up many of the defensive issues. It's already a foundation that can be built on.

This is without a pre-season, without any list changes and done at the drop of a hat. There'll be so much more variety in the style by the time Round 1, 2020 rolls around.

It's a minor miracle this much has improved in such a short space of time. Don't read too much into a game played at a bowling alley which is about as wide as the goalposts.

Back