Opinion The Merrett Conundrum

Remove this Banner Ad

ZoBlitz threw it out there in the Vent thread that this might be a good idea for a thread of its own and I agree. Have found the discussion and analysis from the posters on here very interesting on this topic and I reckon it'd be good to have one place where people can put their thoughts out and have a bit of friendly debate (if needs be!).

Personally, it's an interesting one for me as while I believe Merrett is probably the best option up front and we're very light on experience in general up there, I also believe his current level of play isn't good enough to just leave things as they are. So what are the options?

I won't cover everything here, but I reckon we can boil it down to a few broad decisions:

1. Leave it as is. Merrett showed in 2012 (26 goals in roughly 18 games up forward) and the latter half of 2013 (14 goals in roughly 8 games) that he can be an effective forward, he's just struggling at the moment without a foil to take the first KPD and remove pressure. Back him in to improve after poor showings against two strong KPDs in Rance and Mackenzie.

2. Move Merrett into the second ruck role and get him involved in the game that way. Let Close be the more 'stay at home' forward and bring in some support for him.

3. Drop Merrett to get confidence up and bring in...someone. This is where I'd be interested in hearing responses - if you want Merrett out, who do you want in? Lisle, Michael and Paine are probably the options unless you want to take a punt on the likes of Freeman.

4. Move Merrett into defense and switch another defender forward. Heard this one mentioned a few times in the gameday thread. You'd be looking at Maguire moving up front I think, but I'd be loathe to do this given Sauce's famed 'adjustment time' when moving positions and Maguire's form down back. Patfull was another one mentioned as an option. Probably not a popular choice, but it's an option.

5. Drop/move Merrett and play 'small ball' up front. This one hasn't been mentioned as much recently but it has been brought up in the past. I'd say it's almost saying that we don't have a strong enough main target, so we bring in multiple smaller leading targets to try to cause trouble for the defense and present more options. An example would probably be something like Paine as the 'big' FF with McGrath and Mayes presenting as leading/marking forwards. Gives extra mobility up front too, but you're obviously giving up some contested marking and physical presence with this option.

There's of course other options, but that's just some food for thought. I'd personally like Merrett to move back into the second ruck role to get him more involved in the contest. I'm not into dropping him given how much experience we're missing, but I can see why the argument could be made for sure.

He creates a contest and brings the ball to ground more often than not and if his kicking weren't so erratic he'd be good for a goal or two a game. He also has been on the end of great delivery. He hasn't had a great two weeks but I wouldn't be moving him. I do think it's interesting Leppa has opted to use Close as the relieving ruck instead of Sauce. I think Sauce can have a greater impact than Close in the ruck and I'd prefer Close to be developed solely as a forward but I guess it's just in the interest of developing Close's all-round game.

The last three weeks Merrett has average 6 disposals. Something does seem wrong (not that he was necessarily in top form earlier in the year, but it seems to have gotten a lot worse).

Anyway, I think the best approach is number 2 - give him more time in the ruck as a chop out for Martin.

It was the Bulldogs game I think where he was really good in the ruck - not in terms of getting hit outs, but actually getting clearances himself.

(Looking at the stats he actually got 3 clearances against Carlton and 4 against the Bulldogs in successive weeks before he stopped playing the second ruck role http://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/D/Daniel_Merrett.html )

I don't think Close is strong enough to play in the ruck, which makes me wonder why we are doing it. Perhaps Merrett is struggling carrying an injury at the moment and that is why we have plonked him as a stay at home full forward for the time being.

If he is fit, we need him to get up the ground a lot more / lead a lot more (as well as playing the chop out role in the ruck).

Another alternative would be to try and find a place for Lisle in the team to play the lead up CHF role and second ruck - but that would necessitate dropping Close (which may be against our long term interests).

I wouldn't be dropping Merrett - we desperately need the experience in our team. The only thing we could consider is if he is injured and it is restricting him too much then perhaps we need to start thinking about getting him right for next year.

Option 3. Drop. Doesn't offer much up forward, set shot kicking is embarrassing, particulalry for someone that is supposed to an AFL player. Defensive unit is settled with Maguire, Patfull, Clarke, Gardiner, Adcock and whoever we play as the sixth defender.

Lisle is soft and far from a world beater, but he is a darn sight better up forward than Merrett has been and rolling out the one performance where he kicked a bag against a GWS / TAC Cup side that was playing its seventh or eighth ever game is pretty short sighted.

Leppa in a post match a couple if weeks ago said he wanted Merritt out of the ruck as he was getting too tired and physically beat up in those spurts to then do the role he is asked to do up forward (in browns absence) as the 'heavy target' who competes, crashes packs and brings the ball to ground whol hopefully taking the odd mark and stuff.

Personally I think a 29yo who can barely crack a goal a game isn't worth pursuing at full forward regardless of the 'role' he is playing and I'd rather have lisle get given a guaranteed 3 game run in the team and see if he can show enough to earn a contract next year. If not then give Paine, Freeman, Michael, Bourke a run and see if they are worth their salt even if they aren't ready for the job. Definitely need to not hang our hat on oast production up forward for Merritt where actual performance is hidden by one 7 goal game against gws.

Merritt could then be shifted to defense. I think as a permanent defender without the positional changes he's suffered through for the last 3 seasons he is a better player than Maguire. Would also give depth in defense to give gardener a break after playing most games this year and also mcstay depending in his form.

Or be dropped which wouldn't be such a bad thing either given the average form and even the numerous bonehead mistakes he makes with the ball.

Is the reason he's struggling because he's drawing that first string defender than brown would have usually taken? What disappointed me most were his lack of 2nd efforts last night.. which usually is his strength being a defender? maybe its a lack of confidence..?

I don't think he'll play forward next season and unless there's an injury or 2 he's not needed down back. Leave him forward for the rest of the season and if fit enough let him ruck.

Leave as is for the remainder of the season. Hopefully we'll have options next year and he can move down back.

I wouldn't mind Goose playing on because I do rate him, especially in the young team we've been playing, but if this is his last year Merrett down back for Goose would be a good swap.

Merrett isn't a bad forward IMO but he needs another more experienced one (ala Browny) to be effective.

Merrett may not mark the ball a lot of the time but he does bring it to ground which works in our favour with the like of Zorko, Green and Taylor crumbing. With injuries + the 5 players we lost at the end of last year I sit here without high expectations. I feel bit sorry for sauce sometimes, I remember he was in really good form down back before he was moved forward. I vividly remember the Adelaide game (in Adelaide) from a few seasons ago when he just tore the game apart - that's the Merrett I was to see again.

He was never a natural footballer and he took a few years to get it together in defence, maybe the same thing applies to his forward work, he needs more time to adjust.

But given his age is that something that we should be doing.

I'd like to see him dropped for 2 or 3 matches with Lisle or someone else to take his spot.

Play him as a really big bodied midfielder who just runs straight lines. Would be pretty entertaining to watch him deal with Richie's tagger :p

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Lisle play most of his best footy last year when Brown was out? Couldn't hurt to give him a three-game trial.

As for Merrett, moving him down back would leave us too tall with Maguire currently performing well, so perhaps he needs a stint in the reserves.

Would hate to move Close as he has shown a bit in recent weeks.

So option 3 for me.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's a defender who can play a role taking the pressure off others in the forward line.
We're asking to much of him at the moment.
Plus, do you really expect him to have much of an impact going up against quality defenders like Rance and Mackenzie?
They just about the only defenders capable of containing Buddy, what hope does Merrett have?

Leppa in a post match a couple if weeks ago said he wanted Merritt out of the ruck as he was getting too tired and physically beat up in those spurts to then do the role he is asked to do up forward (in browns absence) as the 'heavy target' who competes, crashes packs and brings the ball to ground whol hopefully taking the odd mark and stuff.

That's interesting info - thanks for pointing that out. Despite that I still can't believe that Close is being played as our second ruck. Even though Merrett was rarely better than passable in that role, I can't see how Close would be making more of an impact. I'd definitely vote for #2 still, but it sounds like that's off the cards unfortunately.

It seems like a few people are for bringing Lisle in.

I don't want to dance on his grave, but I can't see a lot of value in it. He's showed some glimpses, but Lisle has had 6 or so years in the AFL system now and hasn't carved out an obvious role in a young team crying out for a key forward. More to the point, the big deficiency in his game has been exactly what we need from that role right now (aggression, creating a contest). Surely anything he does in those 3 games won't outweigh the accumulated evidence of all of that time.

I think Merrett is just a confidence player that has got in his own head a bit. I don't think he's suddenly going to become a spearhead, but I'm confident he can do his job. I'd rather give him the time to turn it around, since he'll definitely be here next year.

While he has been a favourite of mine for a while now, his form the last few weeks has been pretty poor. If he was one of our standard whipping boys there would have been a lot more calls to drop him. He admittedly has been playing on some decent defenders but his lack of efforts have been telling.

Maguire and the other defenders have been doing a great job so I would be hesitant to change them.

That leaves to me dropping him and giving someone like Lisle his last chance

It seems like a few people are for bringing Lisle in.

I don't want to dance on his grave, but I can't see a lot of value in it. He's showed some glimpses, but Lisle has had 6 or so years in the AFL system now and hasn't carved out an obvious role in a young team crying out for a key forward. More to the point, the big deficiency in his game has been exactly what we need from that role right now (aggression, creating a contest). Surely anything he does in those 3 games won't outweigh the accumulated evidence of all of that time.

I think Merrett is just a confidence player that has got in his own head a bit. I don't think he's suddenly going to become a spearhead, but I'm confident he can do his job. I'd rather give him the time to turn it around, since he'll definitely be here next year.
But I do think back to those last few games last year when he was our number 1 and he did look like he was showing a lot more. And Im not sure it would be any worse than what Sauce and Close have been putting up. Close Im giving a pass due to his age but Merrett has been no better Lisle recently

But I do think back to those last few games last year when he was our number 1 and he did look like he was showing a lot more. And Im not sure it would be any worse than what Sauce and Close have been putting up. Close Im giving a pass due to his age but Merrett has been no better Lisle recently

No doubt he's out of form, and it's probably a fair observation that in aggregate he may not have been better than Lisle in total. I just think Merrett is the only player on the list right now who can realistically do the specific tasks we want him to do as a priority.

Lisle definitely had some better games when Brown was out, but I don't think he's the pack-crashing type. To my mind, he is more suited to the role Close is playing right now. I'm probably biased because I rate Close quite highly, but I'd be loathe to drop him on his current form which is a little patchy but quite promising. Assuming we need one hard body to bring in our smalls, it's hard for me to see a spot for him.

Merrett's form has been down in recent weeks, but we have some pretty valid reasons as to why. Firstly the bambino upsets every first time parents and elite sportsmen are not immune to it/different to any one else. Probably the biggest thing is the abominable delivery to him as the key forward. People questioned Brown's performance and while he had slowed down he was still getting separation but the passing and general decision making in getting the ball to him was poor to say the least. Rog is now the victim of this. Brown was born to play AFL, Rog was not so I think he's done ok al things being equal.

Merrett is performing a role (Key Forward/ Ruck) that is way beyond his normal role and given his background he's doing the best that he can. I could not condone dropping him to replace him with Lisle or Paine. If they were performing to the necessary standard they would be playing, they're not and given the time Lisle has had in the system I would suggest strongly that his time is limited as an AFL player. As I have stated many times I have seen much of Paine and I have similar concerns. If they were up to it, Merrett could quite easily move to a key back role and allow Patfull the luxury of playing on someone of his own size.

Leave as is until the end of the year.

I really don't get leaving it until the end of the year.

The year is shot as it is, and Rog isn't young anymore. If anything, now would be a good time to try someone new in the role, someone who will be here in 5-6 years time - as much as we love our Sauce I don't think he's got that long left in him. If he was setting the world on fire it would be a different story, as you could put youngsters around him who would glean off his experience, but it's not the case. Also, if he is carrying an injury or having trouble with a new baby, time off might be best for him too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back