The michael jordan - most marketable player in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

By all of Australia you mean Victoria? Because Dusty doesn’t get much media coverage here so I guess he’s out of the conversation too.
And again , doesn't get much media in WA so that means he is nothing
Mate not everything revolves around WA you know , I'm talking about the entire comp

Ablett, Carey, Derm, Dunstall, Lockett were getting front or back pages here quite a lot in their day. I especially remember when Ablett took that mark on Gary Pert and during his ‘89 finals season he was all over the papers and then when Piggy did this against the tigers;

45D6E336-BB38-4519-9267-3F228510F7D4.jpeg

Not sure if Martin has had one or the other to himself yet but I could be wrong. 🤔

But yeah there is quite a saturation of Naitanui here.

the move away from players hanging around their positions, like staying in the goalsquare, etc makes it more difficult to attain that kind of mythical status. afl players do their work these days in a kind of miasmic soup where they're all over the ground and a cog in the machine. some of the cogs are a bit shinier.

marketability depends on commentators as much as it does the players. the players are nothing without the commentators blowing smoke up their arses, and whipping some fans into a frenzy because they verbally fellate their favourite player.

koutoufides had a period of being this player. greek god and prototype physique, midfielder outmarking ruckmen, forward or back, pick the ball up one-handed palm down or carry it one handed. dusty these days has the 'don't argue', something in the game that kind of belongs to him, and it's something like that rather than just getting a lot of the ball that makes a player more marketable.

Ablett, Carey, Derm, Dunstall, Lockett were getting front or back pages here quite a lot in their day. I especially remember when Ablett took that mark on Gary Pert and during his ‘89 finals season he was all over the papers and then when Piggy did this against the tigers;

View attachment 883175

Not sure if Martin has had one or the other to himself yet but I could be wrong. 🤔

Hahahah I think you legit get triggered when you see anything Richmond related
Bringing s**t from 30 years ago to a discussion about current events OK 🤣🤣🤣

Hahahah I think you legit get triggered when you see anything Richmond related
Bringing s**t from 30 years ago to a discussion about current events OK 🤣🤣🤣
So we cannot discuss previous players who were marketable or popular in relation to the topic, we can only discuss Dustin Martin?

Gotcha. 🙄👍

So we cannot discuss previous players who were marketable or popular in relation to the topic, we can only discuss Dustin Martin?

Gotcha. 🙄👍
You're the one bringing dusty into it lolll , comparing him to a player 30 years ago , things have changed since , and I'm pretty sure dusty has had a back page somewhere , his mentions in afl media in general is massive . Just last week there was a story about him
Journos go to him knowing he will get the clicks , that just says it all
Doubt you'd have the same Australia wide demand for nic nat mate , get real

I'm pretty sure dusty has had a back page somewhere
Perhaps the MYER catalogue with a Bonds ad?
Just last week there was a story about him
Was that the HUN one about him taking a dump that morning? Must have been one of those slow news days and no St Kilda payer had *’d up.
Like I said I cannot remember Martin getting a front or back page in the West and that is as wide as Australia gets.

Lol have a look at afl media and see who gets mentions the most
Jesus Christ don't let the salt you have for the tigers blind your brain
I'm quite fond of the Tigers.

Another thing you're wrong on, at least your consistent.

And again , doesn't get much media in WA so that means he is nothing
Mate not everything revolves around WA you know , I'm talking about the entire comp

I was commenting on someone else’s post about Nic Nat’s lack of media which from a ‘national’ perspective makes no sense as last time I checked WA was in fact part of Australia and he dominates coverage in our state.

For what it’s worth, on a national level Franklin has the biggest profile by a country mile. WA boy so he gets plenty of coverage here. Two time premiership player at a big Vic club. Marquee poster boy for footy in NSW. Everyone knows who Buddy is.

You're the one bringing dusty into it lolll , comparing him to a player 30 years ago , things have changed since , and I'm pretty sure dusty has had a back page somewhere , his mentions in afl media in general is massive . Just last week there was a story about him
Journos go to him knowing he will get the clicks , that just says it all

You've gone through quite the contortions to make Dusty the only answer.

The reality is there's no current player that's at all analogous to Jordan. Carey is the most recent I can think of that would even come close to ticking the boxes. Franklin playing in another era might have achieved the same.

Jordan was the biggest sports phenomenon in the world in a time before social media, and really even before the internet. He took both that Bulls team and the entire NBA league on his back and carried it all to another stratosphere in terms of success, marketability, popularity and global recognition. Some of that is a byproduct of timing, where American sport was beginning to go global, technology enabled games to be broadcast wider than they had previously, he played a sport with few players on the court which allows a single player to stand out more, and he was spectacular to watch in action.

Hird would likely sell more papers today than Dusty, for comparison.

Nice melt.

The AFL is clearly not going to attract the global reach of the Basketball (though NBA was not always a global league). But more to the point, in Australia how many AFL players are going to be recognised by the general public? Not AFL supporters, but the actual general public.

You probably have half a dozen, and likely only in VIC / SA / WA / TAS / maybe the NT, but likely not NSW, ACT or QLD.

Of that group, who is recognisable and media savvy and performs at a superstar level week in and week out and had an entire team or franchise built around them? Dusty is probably the more recognisable owing to tatts and rude haircut, Fyfe the better media performer.

Peak Carey is pretty much the most recent player I can think of who'd tick most of the above boxes.

We don't really have a current comparison that comes anywhere close to the MJ phenomenon.

Have you missed the last 15 years of footy mate?

Lance Franklin is the name you are looking for.

The biggest marketing gem in the history of the AFL. And by some distance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps the MYER catalogue with a Bonds ad?

Was that the HUN one about him taking a dump that morning? Must have been one of those slow news days and no St Kilda payer had fu**’d up.

Like I said I cannot remember Martin getting a front or back page in the West and that is as wide as Australia gets.
That's your problem mate , you associate WA as the be all and end all. Australia doesn't revolve around WA mate.

I'm talking about in general overall in Australia.

If the HUN talks about mundane stuff like that then you obviously know Martin is most marketable, as I said , they know he attracts clicks . You proved my point cheers

The reality is there's no current player that's at all analogous to Jordan. Carey is the most recent I can think of that would even come close to ticking the boxes. Franklin playing in another era might have achieved the same.

Jordan was the biggest sports phenomenon in the world in a time before social media, and really even before the internet. He took both that Bulls team and the entire NBA league on his back and carried it all to another stratosphere in terms of success, marketability, popularity and global recognition. Some of that is a byproduct of timing, where American sport was beginning to go global, technology enabled games to be broadcast wider than they had previously, he played a sport with few players on the court which allows a single player to stand out more, and he was spectacular to watch in action.

Mate . Noone is comparing afl players to Jordan lol , Jordan is a global superstar noone in the afl comes close to his scale.

We are only talking about who is most marketable in the afl. How thick is your head mate

My point and what has always been my point is who is most marketable in the AFL NOW.

I was commenting on someone else’s post about Nic Nat’s lack of media which from a ‘national’ perspective makes no sense as last time I checked WA was in fact part of Australia and he dominates coverage in our state.

For what it’s worth, on a national level Franklin has the biggest profile by a country mile. WA boy so he gets plenty of coverage here. Two time premiership player at a big Vic club. Marquee poster boy for footy in NSW. Everyone knows who Buddy is.
Cool , buddy is definitely a much more valid answer. Just in my opinion if you talk about right now , dusty is more marketable. That's just due to buddy being injured and slightly out of form.
Whilst obviously dusty is the opposite atm

That's your problem mate , you associate WA as the be all and end all. Australia doesn't revolve around WA mate.
Oh dear you’re struggling now, where have I even hinted at such a preposterous notion?
I'm talking about in general overall in Australia.
So am I and WA is part of overall Australia. :drunk:
If the HUN talks about mundane stuff like that then you obviously know Martin is most marketable, as I said , they know he attracts clicks
You actually believe they wrote a story about him taking a dump? 🤣🤦🏻‍♂️
You proved my point cheers
Hi5 🙌

My point and what has always been my point is who is most marketable in the AFL NOW.
So stop comparing Dustin Martin to Michael Jordan then.
Never in your wildest fantasies will Dusty be that big and besides Jordan retired years ago. So much for the emphasis on NOW. 🙄

Last edited:
Oh dear you’re struggling now, where have I even hinted at such a preposterous notion?

So am I and WA is part of overall Australia. :drunk:

You actually believe they wrote a story about him taking a dump? 🤣🤦🏻‍♂️

Hi5 🙌

God... The fact that you mention you haven't see Martin in a back page of some newspaper in WA says it all
Who cares if he isn't on a newspaper in WA lol
It's the overall picture, and the fact he gets featured on the afl website , sponsorship deals , social media ads etc etc
Plus being the best player in the best club helps even more
Common sense mate

Check your brain if you actually believed I believed you lol I said mundane stuff in general

And your last comment about Jordan. LOL it's either a troll or you are mighty thick

Having watched about 8 episodes of the last dance i was thinking how Jordan is arguably the most marketable sportsman in history.
I was also thinking who is comparable in AFL terms.

Watching the doco the way it was portrayed like a one man team somewhat from the media, the equivalent at the time in the AFL was probably wayne carey. The looks, charisma, x factor and stood out on the field because of his height. It's a shame north didn't cash in more on his profile by generating more support.

In the modern day the only person i can even think comes close would be buddy franklin.

Any other players that people can think of come close or any future players with the same level of marketability in the AFL?. The u.s sports pretty much always have one guy nominated as the figure head of their sports, not that i want us to follow that trend but interested to know who people think it has been in the past, is now and will be in the future?
It doesn't even need to be the best player.

Franklin severaly lacks charisma in front of the camera and being interviewed. "Just pleazed to be wiff the boyz..." Ablett Snr had the same problem.

Brereton was probably the one that had the on and off-field presence. From memory, he was even signed by IMG in the late 80s and one of their big names growing their Business in Australia back then.

Our local media has gotten worse over time. Tomorrow's back page in the Saturday West will probably have something about Optus Stadium not getting a test this summer or Joel Hamling's injury as the lead story. Unless Nic Naitanui had an unusual bowel movement before the copies went to press. During the season the weekend papers are 95% WC/Freo content on the back page.

There's no national footy media anyway. If I picked up a copy of the SMH it's pretty unlikely to have any AFL player on the back page. I imagine tomorrow's edition will have something about the Roosters vs the Rabbitohs from tonight.

Also, where's Dusty?

MiniLegends2018_FacebookShareImage_v2.jpg

Just part of it.

Also, Jordan came at a perfect time - the 90s.

Fame was still expensive then - as in, you did necessary have to do something at a high level to obtain it.

Fame has rapidly gotten a lot cheaper. It’s quite amazing really, any person with a phone in their pocket has a potential worldwide platform. That wasn’t the case 25 years ago.

It was harder to become famous but when you did, it lasted longer because there wasn’t a billion other people about to take your spotlight tomorrow.

Yet, by the 90s, we did have worldwide mass media. But it was tightly controlled by media companies. You didn’t have access to it. Nowadays anyone on earth can have a YouTube channel.

Jordan was so well marketed because he was everywhere on that mass media. Sports, obviously. Television. Feature films. A freaking Michael Jackson song.

He arrived at that perfect time - when media could beam him around the world, but media was not yet cheap or accessible enough for there to be a billion other people and things taking his crown.

Yes but if he had arrived say 20-25 years later I think he still would of had mass popularity.

He was a rare combination of being likeable, charismatic and the all time GOAT.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back