The michael jordan - most marketable player in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh if he'd consistently had years like 93 absolutely. I still remember the hype around him in the mid 90s. Greatly helped with a last name that commentators used to just announce he was doing something. 'MODRA'! And its use in everyday SA life when someone tried to catch a ball or something.

I remember when Modra was about to play his 100th game. And on the Footy Show, Sam Newman said I reckon "Tony Modra would have had his 100th at the Heaven Nightclub in 1992".

I remember when Modra was about to play his 100th game. And on the Footy Show, Sam Newman said I reckon "Tony Modra would have had his 100th at the Heaven Nightclub in 1992".

Lol I also remember Newman showing the Advertiser middle fold out celebrating the 100th game and saying, 'if he ever reached 300 I reckon they'll show his snag'.

Buddy is the only one anyone can seriously mention in the last decade or so.

Dustys off field holds him outta this conversation...

Judds lack of success at Carlton holds him back too imo.

But that's being very picky... But in a way you need to be.

Buddy is the only one anyone can seriously mention in the last decade or so.

Dustys off field holds him outta this conversation...

Judds lack of success at Carlton holds him back too imo.

But that's being very picky... But in a way you need to be.
I would have thought that Buddy and Dusty have a fair but in common off field.

Picture Jordan running down the wing having to bounce the ball twice, then kicking a 50m goal on the run.... now picture Buddy dunking... one of these is unimaginable

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Picture Jordan running down the wing having to bounce the ball twice, then kicking a 50m goal on the run.... now picture Buddy dunking... one of these is unimaginable
Which one? I can see both of those things happening.

Picture Mason Cox starting and contributing on an NBA Finals team. Now picture Mason Cox starting in a Grand Final.

One of these is unimaginable.

Why Dustin Martin is Australia’s most marketable athlete (paywalled)
Michael Warner
Herald Sun
December 6, 2020
The tatts, the trademark mohawk and football genius make Richmond superstar Dustin Martin the most marketable athlete in the country, experts say.

With a “vibe” likened to English soccer legend David Beckham, Dusty is quietly building a multimillion-dollar endorsements empire.

UK-based Supernova Entertainment boss Richard Beck, who has worked with Guns N’ Roses, INXS and Bruce Springsteen, said Martin was on the radar of some international advertising agencies.

"He is unique enough of a talent and character to become whatever he wants and attain success previously unheard of. Healthy food, lifestyle accessories, cars, tech, sports products, you name it. They are all about to open up to him. He’s that marketable."

What a wank of an article
Ben Simmons, Dan Riccardo, Steve Smith etc
Dustin Martin isn't even in the top 10 unless you're a Richmond nuffie.

To be fair he should be way more marketable than any of them. They are all very bland stylistically.

Yeah but they all have much farther reach than Martin. A billion people would know who Steve Smith is, Martin doesn't even have cut through across all of Australia.
Except advertising experts point out in that piece that Dusty cuts through and is recognisable and popular in every state in Australia, which is rare for a domestic-based athlete.

That was a good article if you're interested in that kind of thing. It's interesting that one or the execs says that he's starting to get attention from international agencies, which is remarkable in itself given the limited reach of the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back