The michael jordan - most marketable player in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

also scoman the teamrooms/clubrooms of professional/national teams are not bastions of gallantry, pleasantry, sobriety and mateship- enmity abounds
and i ant talking sleeping with your teammates wife or drugs/alcohol

Oh for sure, I am under no illusions on the behaviour and character of professional sports people here. My point is more so that some of Jordans antics back in the day might well lead to a few meetings with HR if it was tried in 2020..... 'So Michael, a player has complained you constantly ridicule him during practice, in the change rooms and on the bus. You have also repeatedly yelled at him to be a man and challenged him to a fist fight. You can't do that Michael. You have to remember he is a millennial. He grew up watching videos about bullying and getting participation ribbons. You need to respect him as an individual first if you want him to respect you. Ok Michael?

Oh for sure, I am under no illusions on the behaviour and character of professional sports people here. My point is more so that some of Jordans antics back in the day might well lead to a few meetings with HR if it was tried in 2020..... 'So Michael, a player has complained you constantly ridicule him during practice, in the change rooms and on the bus. You have also repeatedly yelled at him to be a man and challenged him to a fist fight. You can't do that Michael. You have to remember he is a millennial. He grew up watching videos about bullying and getting participation ribbons. You need to respect him as an individual first if you want him to respect you. Ok Michael?
very good ☝️

He’s a nobody in Melbourne. Ivan Soldo is more recognisable.
It is symptomatic of Melbourne based footy supporters, they tend to be insular and not truly appreciate anything outside their borders .... I remember many years ago during a game commentary, Dermott Brereton saying how Dean Kemp was underrated and if he'd played for a Vic club they would be talking of him as a superstar. This is true of players from many non-Victorian clubs. BTW, I absolutely disbelieve your comment.

It is symptomatic of Melbourne based footy supporters, they tend to be insular and not truly appreciate anything outside their borders .... I remember many years ago during a game commentary, Dermott Brereton saying how Dean Kemp was underrated and if he'd played for a Vic club they would be talking of him as a superstar. This is true of players from many non-Victorian clubs. BTW, I absolutely disbelieve your comment.
Nah. Buddy is a star in Melbourne. As is Fyfe. Nic Nat is a run of the mill ruckman who is incredibly injury prone as is judged accordingly. He has cool hair though!

Yes, my point being Australians are in the 0.1%

The rest of the world, where the money is, all recognize him.

He and Ronaldo are clearly the highest paid main stream (not pay per view) athletes in the world, when factoring in sponsorship, for a reason.

Both have earned in excess of the $1b mark.

Adidas haven't sunk that much money into someone that couldn't be recognized in a lineup, they also extended Messi's sponsorship for life in 2017.

Here's a good demonstration:

View attachment 881126

View attachment 881127

View attachment 881129
ta 👍

Yes even. George Pell was also cleared but do you think the public will ever let it go?

I know it does but I do not make the rules, the world is an unforgiving and unfair place.

Dems the facts though.

Well you are the one comparing them with Martin right now as if to say he is not as much as a pile of s**t as those 2. 🤔
re DM, the guy suffered enormous emotional turmoil with dads expulsion, one p'raps caro could have spoken about instead of throwing her lot in with the sisterhood
we are too quick to judge without comprehensive facts and zero compassion and patience (for some)

re DM, the guy suffered enormous emotional turmoil with dads expulsion, one p'raps caro could have spoken about instead of throwing her lot in with the sisterhood
we are too quick to judge without comprehensive facts and zero compassion and patience (for some)
Just how fickle the people are. Ablett Snr did not intentionally cause death either let alone murder someone but the public don wanna see it that way.

Nah. Buddy is a star in Melbourne. As is Fyfe. Nic Nat is a run of the mill ruckman who is incredibly injury prone as is judged accordingly. He has cool hair though!

But he's marketable, which is what the thread is about.

Vince Carter has had a fantastic career in the NBA. He made 8 NBA All Star games and 2 All NBA teams in the early to mid 2000s. If you were ranking players of the last 20 years he might be in your top 50. I looked up a list of players of the 2000s alone and he came in at #17. But everyone who follows the NBA knows who he is. When he was drafted to Toronto he took a relatively new team in a city that didn't really care about that sport into the spotlight because of how he played. 20 years later the 2000 dunk contest is still epic.

Naitanui is marketable because he's a freak athlete who takes big hangers. When he roves his own tap and kicks a goal or bounces up after a ruck contest and tackles one the opposition midfielders into the turf while his opposing ruck is still landing the commentators cream themselves. He's not even a top 50 player in 2020 and he's still marketable when he is actually playing. Saying Naitanui isn't marketable is like saying Jeremy Howe isn't marketable. Plus it's woke 2020 and "multicultural ambassadors" like Lin Jong and Aliir Aliir are essentially AFL marketers.

IMO the most marketable player in the comp currently is still Buddy. The Swans had 36k members in 2013 and have 61k now. I don't think that is a complete coincidence. Patrick "look at my smug face while I surf in a suit" Dangerfield is probably ticks the most boxes across the board. He's a safe option. Top player, explosive so does exciting things and is both straight laced and laps up media attention.

Neither does having better teammates around you than the other bloke.
Lol so any player who plays for a top team can't be the best player in the comp with that logic OK 🤣
It's your opinion if you think fyfe is better
But the facts prove martin is better , much more influential when it counts

They respect his playing ability, but I don't think people warm to him.
Hahaah think you mean to say , oppo fans are salty at the tigers winning and dusty is at the forefront of it , hence that's what you're feeling when you don't warm to him 🤣

Lol so any player who plays for a top team can't be the best player in the comp with that logic OK 🤣
Agree to disagree, I think Martin is the best in the comp and you do don't , all good
oppo fans are salty at the tigers winning and dusty is at the forefront of it , hence that's what you're feeling when you don't warm to him
Holy s**t dude do you even understand the difference between “marketable“ & “good player”..?
Warwick Capper was extremely marketable but he was never the best player.

Post after post you sound like a gushing fan boi who is annoyed that your favourite player is not as acceptable as others in this regard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Holy s**t dude do you even understand the difference between “marketable“ & “good player”..?

Post after post you sound like a gushing fan boi who is annoyed that your favourite player is not as acceptable as others in this regard.
Yes I do , he is the best player and also the most marketable , that's my point

Presuming the laughing face is because you know how ridiculous what you said sounds.

And I never said Fyfe was better.

What do you mean North didn’t cash in?

Carey was on over a million dollar a season 25 years ago.

He was Nike’s poster boy in Australia and there’s stories of uncashed cheques in his glove box of $200k.

Franklin doesn’t come close to how big Carey was in the 90’s.
Uncashed chqs of $200k in his glove box. Lol

Ben Cousins without doubt. Once he made the AFL look bad though, they dropped him like a stone.

In the sense that Norths supporter base didn't seem to go up significantly from carey being the biggest name in the game.

Err what?

Stop with the revisionism.

We featured regularly in the top 20 H&A games for attendance's in that period in each year.

We had a very healthy attendance relative to the rest of the comp, especially when factoring in we played games at Princess Park, Manuka and the SCG at times.

Attendances follow success in the AFL, nothing more, we haven't been a legitimate contender since.

Err what?

Stop with the revisionism.

We featured regularly in the top 20 H&A games for attendance's in that period in each year.

We had a very healthy attendance relative to the rest of the comp, especially when factoring in we played games at Princess Park, Manuka and the SCG at times.

Attendances follow success in the AFL, nothing more, we haven't been a legitimate contender since.
Revisionism?

Thought I'd look into your claims.

2001 - 9th for Home and away attendance, 2 games in the top 20, 5 in the bottom 20.
2000 - 11th for Home and away attendance, 2 games in the top 20, 5 in the bottom 20.
1999 - 9th for Home and away attendance, 2 games in the top 20, 4 in bottom 20.
1998 - 9th for H&A, 2 games in the top 20, 2 in the bottom 20.
1997 - 6th for H&A, 2 games in the top 20, 2 in the bottom 20.
1996 - 6th for H&A, 3 games in the top 20, 0 in the bottom 20. (Fitzroy home games dominated)
1995 - 6th for H&A, 3 games in the top 20, 2 in the bottom 20.

Don't know I'd say North figured regularly in the top 20 or if they had a healthy attendance relative to the rest of the comp.

I'd say more they sat middle of the table.

they don't exist on their own

they are in competition as figurehead marketeers
(I) for their sport
(ii) in their geography [West Australian and South Australians don't have same cut-thru, nor cache, and is NOT balanced by monopoly 2teammonopoly on their State]
(iii) positioning in the market Dusty/Dane tatts v James Hird every-boy-next-door mom wants her daughter to marry

growth in the economy the marketing market[sic] will be further atomised

so it is up to individual players as spokesman/figurehead marketer to be able to cross those individual divides

Remove this Banner Ad

Back