The MIDFIELD is where its at...

Remove this Banner Ad

Our midfield is probably our strongest line with Bolton, Martin, now Baker, Taranto, Hopper, Prestia, then guys like Graham, Dow, Mcauliffe, Ross.

The issue for me is to fit them all in the side, the pure inside mids will be forced to play other roles where they are really not suited to and there is alot of bad overlap with a few guys in terms of ball use, leg speed etc

Adding Baker and Graham will be important. Last year we added Hopper and Taranto who are too slow to be able to defend any kind of dynamic mid on the opposition, to a midfield with Martin and Bolton who simply don't defend. Then there was Prestia who didn't seem all that interested. It needs to be way more balanced this season.

Geezuss what a beast the old meatball looks...hope he comes good with his hammies...what a weapon when fit and firing!
240124_Training-6758-Dion-Prestia-Dustin-Martin-Peter-Bol.jpg

Until the opposition clamp down on him and he is missing throughout games and getting 2 touches a quarter as has been the case in the past when played as a small forward
He kicked 43 goals as a mainly forward / mid in 22, and could have easily kicked more. He is a far better player now so could kick more. Charlie Cameron was Grimes bunny for years, has kicked averaged 56 goals for the last 3 years though. Yes he will have some quiet games, but he will also break some games open.

I liked him playing mid last season because we needed his speed around the ball. With Dusty up and about, Hopper fit, Dow looking very likely, we may not need him so much.

He kicked 43 goals as a mainly forward / mid in 22, and could have easily kicked more. He is a far better player now so could kick more. Charlie Cameron was Grimes bunny for years, has kicked averaged 56 goals for the last 3 years though. Yes he will have some quiet games, but he will also break some games open.

I liked him playing mid last season because we needed his speed around the ball. With Dusty up and about, Hopper fit, Dow looking very likely, we may not need him so much.
Cameron is a good reference point for this exercise , no reason shai couldn’t replicate what he does in HA season

I always thought that Taranto and Hooper would not make the difference we were hoping from them, in their first year. Taranto generated big numbers but they were not as impactful as many believe. To me, Taranto played much like Cotchin did in his earlier days - he got his hands on the ball plenty of times but our midfield wasn't all dominate because of those number. Cotchin was a much better player when he reduced his possessions but upped his impact through his defensive work, 1% and his ability to make the other midfielders around him better. I see Taranto doing that this year.

Both Hopper and Taranto have now had a year in the system and with the other players around them. Unless that system radically changes, they now understand the importance of feeding the ball outside the stoppage by hand to other in space rather that slapping it onto their boots like they did early in the season. They also understand their role/positions in defense to stop the oppositions rapid chain of offensive movement. That hurt us too early.

For mine, I saw the difference putting Dusty, Bolton and Prestia back into the center over just Taranto and Hopper. We were never a strong stoppage team and I don't think we should try to be - what's the use of winning the inside ball if all your possessions are then hurried and turned over?! I'd rather the inside mids feeding it out to the outside runners or breaking away themselves. It give our forwards the best chance of beating their opponents and finding space.

I like the idea of trying Rioli and Baker in the mix to give us additional run if needed. I don't think they should ever be permanent mids but using them to spark run and carry is a positive strategy.

All in all, I feel our 2024 midfield will be superior to last years. Not just through new players moving through there but also more established players development and understanding of the gameplan and their teammates.

Taranto and Hopper are an interesting case...
Come to RFC and Coach Dimma and spend a year learning a different game plan to GWS...adjusting to different positions/players...
The following year spend another year learning a different game plan to both Dimma and GWS...adjusting to different positions and new younger players...

I always thought that Taranto and Hooper would not make the difference we were hoping from them, in their first year. Taranto generated big numbers but they were not as impactful as many believe. To me, Taranto played much like Cotchin did in his earlier days - he got his hands on the ball plenty of times but our midfield wasn't all dominate because of those number. Cotchin was a much better player when he reduced his possessions but upped his impact through his defensive work, 1% and his ability to make the other midfielders around him better. I see Taranto doing that this year.

Both Hopper and Taranto have now had a year in the system and with the other players around them. Unless that system radically changes, they now understand the importance of feeding the ball outside the stoppage by hand to other in space rather that slapping it onto their boots like they did early in the season. They also understand their role/positions in defense to stop the oppositions rapid chain of offensive movement. That hurt us too early.

For mine, I saw the difference putting Dusty, Bolton and Prestia back into the center over just Taranto and Hopper. We were never a strong stoppage team and I don't think we should try to be - what's the use of winning the inside ball if all your possessions are then hurried and turned over?! I'd rather the inside mids feeding it out to the outside runners or breaking away themselves. It give our forwards the best chance of beating their opponents and finding space.

I like the idea of trying Rioli and Baker in the mix to give us additional run if needed. I don't think they should ever be permanent mids but using them to spark run and carry is a positive strategy.

All in all, I feel our 2024 midfield will be superior to last years. Not just through new players moving through there but also more established players development and understanding of the gameplan and their teammates.
well said Sir...

Ps I'm going to try very hard not to be hard on Tim Turnover and Jacob Hop.....

I failed.

Honestly I hope they do well this year.....mostly for the team and partly so I can stop bitching.

I have a pretty big hard on for our midfield group atm with Bakes and Dow in there along with the usual suspects. We have serious options when we've also got effective mids in Dusty, Bolton and Ross to throw in as well. Midfield should never run out of legs if we're smart about rotations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think hopper and TT are very good inside options , it was the outside mids to compliment them that was neglected. Bolton going in improved the mix , I expect Dow will be seen to replace shai for that quick reflex breakaway. Pres was used as that third option and it failed badly ,,,hes very much defined as inside player . So for mine , we have several chess pieces it’s more about getting the mix right , bakes , sonz and even Dan rioli will be utilized to

Adding Baker and Graham will be important. Last year we added Hopper and Taranto who are too slow to be able to defend any kind of dynamic mid on the opposition, to a midfield with Martin and Bolton who simply don't defend. Then there was Prestia who didn't seem all that interested. It needs to be way more balanced this season.
I don’t get why you think Graham will be important. I love him as a bloke but unfortunately he just hasn’t improved and injuries haven’t helped. ATM there is no spot in the team for him.

I don’t get why you think Graham will be important. I love him as a bloke but unfortunately he just hasn’t improved and injuries haven’t helped. ATM there is no spot in the team for him.
Agree. I will say he is one of our best tacklers and a good defensive mid but does that (and will he) stack up in Yze's offensive style game?

We need more speed and attack from the inside out and Dow is the man.

I don't see Graham as a mid, but when fit he plays that defensive high forward/extra body on the overlap pretty well, problem being he has not been properly fit for a few years so we have lost some idea of his worth, good or bad.

He has always been a cover for Dusty's lack of defensive running into the back half that most mids have to do, (not that I'm advocating playing Dusty any other way). When he is not 100% fit, he cannot do the running needed for that role and always seems to a yard off the pace. That might change this season as he has had a full pre.

I would be very surprised if he is not playing round 22. The difference is this season hopefully, if you don't perform to standard, you don't play, unlike the past two years where he and a few others were pencilled in every week regardless, eg. how did Pickett play 21 games as a lead up forward pocket last season!

No reason why Liam Baker can’t be our Laird equivalent. He’s tougher than Laird and a better mark as well.

I’m excited to see our midfield in 2024, but more excited for what it could be 2026 onwards.

2-3 years ago with Cotchin, Martin, Prestia, Edwards, Graham as mainstays we looked in really big trouble. Add to that RCD (bust), Martin (bust), Dow (question marks), Ross (question marks), Bolton (fwd pocket only), Baker (back pocket).

2026 onwards we are looking at:

Hopper: 29yo
Taranto: 28yo
Bolton : 27yo
Baker: 28yo
Ross: 25yo
Dow: 24yo
Sonsie: 23yo
McAuliffe: 21yo

That’s 6 x potential mids aged 24-29yo, so all still at their peak age.

And another high quality draftee or two from this years draft with a strong draft hand to add to that mix.

Dow excites me the most. I remember the club said he’d be a slow burn … hopefully he’s Shane Edwards mark II.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Would need to improve 50% on last year , he’s got it in him, perhaps his foot injury was hindering him

Elephant in the midfield room for me is Taranto and his vision. To me it’s looking like he’s got a great footy IQ until he gets the ball.
GWS getting better when he left hasn’t helped in my worries about him.
What Adem does with Taranto’s talents will make or break him as a coach.

He was a damaging mid as a junior. I think we need a better game plan to move the ball and we’ll see guys like Taranto and hopper make better decisions.

Both these guys look confused at times with the ball in hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our midfield is stacked for body and strength. Taranto, Hopper, Dusty, Prestia and Graham but none possess breakaway speed.

Shai does but coach wants to play him more forward. I think that's a bad move. Dow and Baker do have breakaway speed

Now watching the dees Salem played midfield..

Also, Hayden Young of Freo generally plays back, played midfield had 26 possies and kicked two goals. Has pace to burn.

Most teams are loading up with pace in the midfield we seemed to have gone the other way with Shai going out.

Look at Kozy Pickett, he's so dangerous in centre bounces due to his crazy getaway speed. Bolton has been and can continue to be that player for us. Just hope Yze and the coaches see that we looked to one paced v pies.

Jack Crisp of the pies used to play back nowadays in the midfield, has explosive pace.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back