List Mgmt. The Midfield Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Gresh has a lot more elite tools then Daniel.. Gresh's core strength and lateral movement are superior to Daniel's. Daniel is more consistent with his ability to hit targets by foot tho.. But Gresh will definitely be a better player if their first years are anything to go by

Gresh has a lot more elite tools then Daniel.. Gresh's core strength and lateral movement are superior to Daniel's. Daniel is more consistent with his ability to hit targets by foot tho.. But Gresh will definitely be a better player if their first years are anything to go by

Yeah, on straight stat comparison Gresh has him covered:

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...&pid1=4073&pid2=4178&fid1=P&fopt1=2015&fid2=S

Worth noting that Gresh spent a lot more time on the ground though - 75% vs 62%.

I think they're both going to be very good, wouldn't put my money on Gresh being better yet.

Yeah, on straight stat comparison Gresh has him covered:

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...&pid1=4073&pid2=4178&fid1=P&fopt1=2015&fid2=S

Worth noting that Gresh spent a lot more time on the ground though - 75% vs 62%.

I think they're both going to be very good, wouldn't put my money on Gresh being better yet.

I wouldn't bet on anything after the first year. Without looking Dunstan was probably better than both in their first year and maybe behind both in his third year. Daniel played well enough in his second year to be an important player in the finals. Lets hope Gresh has that improvement in him for a number of years.

The problem with this kind of threads is we over-rate our own based on their best ever games and their potential and then we judge the Dogs on their worst ever games. This is fairly skewed.

Our only genuine A grader is Steven. So lets just say Steven and Bont are both A graders.

But then what?

Ill rank the top 12 midfielders from both clubs in order:

1. Bont
  2. Steven
  3. Armo
  4. Wallis
  5. Newnes
  6. Picken
  7. Macrae
  8. Hunter
  9. Ross
  10. Dunstan
  11. Daniel
  12. Liberatore
Dogs have 7 to our 5.
We arent that far off.

If we can get Acres, Gresh, Steele, Billings and Freeman up in to the top 300 players in the AFL we will be on track. That is a big IF seeing Freeman hasnt even played a single game. The Dogs will be hoping Toby Mclean (20yo) makes further improvements up in to that top 12.

The problem with this kind of threads is we over-rate our own based on their best ever games and their potential and then we judge the Dogs on their worst ever games. This is fairly skewed.

Our only genuine A grader is Steven. So lets just say Steven and Bont are both A graders.

But then what?

1. Bont
  2. Steven
  3. Armo
  4. Wallis
  5. Newnes
  6. Picken
  7. Macrae
  8. Hunter
  9. Ross
  10. Dunstan
  11. Daniel
  12. Liberatore
Dogs have 7 to our 5.
We arent that far off.

If we can get Acres, Gresh, Steele, Billings and Freeman up in to the top 300 players in the AFL we will be on track. That is a big IF seeing Freeman hasnt even played a single game. The Dogs will be hoping Toby Mclean (20yo) makes further improvements up in to that top 12.

You have gone and said we overate our own and then put Macrae and Hunter down that low. they would be third and fourth on that list and I think Steven is just number one. Also Ross is ahead of Armo. Libba and Daniel are probably ahead of Dunstan.

But then what?

1. Bont
  2. Steven
  3. Armo
  4. Wallis
  5. Newnes
  6. Picken
  7. Macrae
  8. Hunter
  9. Ross
  10. Dunstan
  11. Daniel
  12. Liberatore
Dogs have 7 to our 5.
We arent that far off.

Libba, Hunter and Macrae would be 345

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But then what?

1. Bont
  2. Steven
  3. Armo
  4. Wallis
  5. Newnes
  6. Picken
  7. Macrae
  8. Hunter
  9. Ross
  10. Dunstan
  11. Daniel
  12. Liberatore
Dogs have 7 to our 5.
We arent that far off.

Much of that is arguable. What I think is way off is Liberatore at 12. He should be in the top 3

Bloody gun.

Congrats on the win mate :thumbsu:

Cheers FWIW Saints have the bookends. It's just the mids.

You guys play well against us.

Without presuming to rate your mids, I'd rate our mids as

1-Bont
2-Libba
3-Dahl
4 - Macrae
5 - Picken
6.- Hunter
7-Wallis
8-Daniel
9 - Dunkley

Smith, Stringer, JJ, Suckling flit through as well

Surely. I really rare Libba, hugely effective inside mid at his best (though arguably that hasn't been seen for a couple of years).
I agree with you guys. I ripped those ratings directly from the 'Schtick rankings' but those rankings are always lagged and dont really take into account recent form. So for instance Libba gets a lower ranking than he deserves because he was injured in 2015. But I agree Libba, Macrae and Hunter are all very bloody good.

1-Bont
2-Libba
3-Dahl
4 - Macrae
5 - Picken
6.- Hunter
7-Wallis
8-Daniel
9 - Dunkley

I think Picken's finals series has elevated him massively. Congrats by the way :thumbsu:

Much of that is arguable. What I think is way off is Liberatore at 12. He should be in the top 3
Agree I was just using those schtick ratings but they are always lagged and months behind so not current.

No sane person can rate Dunstan ahead of Libba.

In reality only Steven from the Saints would make the Dogs top 6 midfielders.

1-Bont
2-Libba
3-Dahl
4 - Macrae
5 - Picken
6.- Hunter
7-Wallis
8-Daniel
9 - Dunkley

You also have Mclean. What is Lukas Webb going to be like?

You also have Mclean. What is Lukas Webb going to be like?

Yeah McLean is more a HFF but can play wing.

Webb interesting. Nearly our best kick. Played mid in the twos and racked them up. Not quite tough enough yet. Could be v good. Got another guy Williams coming through who looks a Murphy clone but better contested.

Gresham FWIW looks an A grader in the making. Reckon he will be better than many of our mids. Love his work.

I'd be surprised if you guys aren't into Hrovat if fit could be a 150 gamer. Should be cheap.

Scary thing i think is the improvement still expected of Dunkley, Daniel, McLean and more time in the midfield for Smith .

Scary thing i think is the improvement still expected of Dunkley, Daniel, McLean and more time in the midfield for Smith .
Bonts only 20 too...and many think Stringer will become more mid...he's 22 as is Macrae...interesting times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back